AK Build Party at USDS on 5/2/2015 (10:00 am)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Yes. I'll update the original post when we close the slots. Just fill out the signup form so we know you are coming. Make sure to follow up with USDS.

Cool I have to see about getting a kit and all of the goodies first, I am not an AK guy so I'll have to read some more than I have and then buy... Hopefully I can make this one!

pwoller

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Indianapolis
    So probably 4 years ago I attended a build party set up by this forum. Wabbit helped me take my parts kit and get it to a headspaced barreled receiver. I wacked the rest of the parts on using a small sledge, blocks of wood and a pipe. I've shot this gun many times and everytime I grin ear to ear because it's a gun I made with the help of Wabbit and it just runs perfectly.

So anyone in the fence. Get a parts kit, receiver, 922 parts and a barrel. I promise you wont regret it.

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    So probably 4 years ago I attended a build party set up by this forum. Wabbit helped me take my parts kit and get it to a headspaced barreled receiver. I wacked the rest of the parts on using a small sledge, blocks of wood and a pipe. I've shot this gun many times and everytime I grin ear to ear because it's a gun I made with the help of Wabbit and it just runs perfectly.

So anyone in the fence. Get a parts kit, receiver, 922 parts and a barrel. I promise you wont regret it.
    Goes to show how tough of a design these weapons are and how simple they can be manufactured..... and i will be building a khyber pass mutt of a ak in the not so distant future so i need some rough looking parts the more tore up the better... so if anyone pass screwed up parts bring them along ill buy them

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    So probably 4 years ago I attended a build party set up by this forum. Wabbit helped me take my parts kit and get it to a headspaced barreled receiver. I wacked the rest of the parts on using a small sledge, blocks of wood and a pipe. I've shot this gun many times and everytime I grin ear to ear because it's a gun I made with the help of Wabbit and it just runs perfectly. So anyone in the fence. Get a parts kit, receiver, 922 parts and a barrel. I promise you wont regret it.

I love your Polish underfolder. I really want to get my own one day. It was fun to bring her to life.

bcourts

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2011
    I sent in my money order on 19 March. I just wanted to confirm the Defense Solutions folks received payment from me. Thanks!

Last edited:

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    RPK barrel is pinned (thanks to help by 30calmachinegunner) so now it's time to populate the barrel. The RSB is in position but not pinned yet.

Duff - I will probably leave the wood alone, except for the sanding the stock to fit the new receiver, but eventually the RPK will get Duracoat. I worry that the parts could rust without any protection. I don't plan on being nice to her when shooting.

attachment.php

Last edited:

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    Duff - I will probably leave the wood alone, except for the sanding the stock to fit the new receiver, but eventually the RPK will get Duracoat. I worry that the parts could rust without any protection. I don't plan on being nice to her when shooting.

attachment.php
    linseed oil!! It what you use to protect bluing Or Duracoat makes a number of clears coats...

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair

Jagdhund

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 20, 2014
    Indianapolis
    There was a nice part kit built RPK for sale at the latest indy 1500 gun show. I think he was asking like 500, I passed on it not knowing enough about it then it was sold the next day.

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    The RPK has been difficult at times. You have to do some things differently because of the thicker receiver and long barrel. Getting all the parts to just start also takes time because the RPKs are different (this one is Romanian) so it's not always in stock. I'm glad to finally have one but I would not recommend building one until you've done a few AKs first with a virgin barrel.

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    Wabbit was your front trunnion pretty tight fitting in your receiver? i couldn't believe how tight my trunnion fit in a NDS receiver but it does fit very well. ... I still need to rivet my front trunnion in place on mine and then refinish the barrel to match the rest of the gun..... i have a rpk74 sidefolder and m72 to do as well... the rpk 74 is most complete now it was slowly pieced together (im am only missing a trunnion which i will never locate a real one) but i can modified a standard Romanian one.) cut the receiver will be a challenge as there is very little material available for reference.

Top Bottom