• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Hopefully I haven't missed another thread like this?

Love to see adds on air gun stuff that I might have not seen. Also great to see others getting into the air gun game.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Oct 9, 2010
    Pyramydair has the Hawke Vantage 2x7x32 for $125:

https://www.pyramydair.com/product/...ort-hd-rifle-scope-mil-dot-reticle-1-4?a=5164

Parallax adjustment focuses down to 5 yards, springer-rated, all the controls work smoothly...finger turrets, objective bell, magnification ring, and eyepiece. The eye relief was good for me on a Weihrauch, and it comes with what I found to be a really nice set of elastic see-through lens covers.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    I have the gun on .177 and it is an accurate shooter. No complaints, trigger isn't the best and stock removal required to adjust power. Mine is unregulated and air pressure does impact POI. The sweet spot for my gun is 2500 to 2000 psi. I use a scuba tank to fill. OK going to shut up now.

Butch627

Master
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    Any thoughts on this kit? Looking for an air gun for target practice from multiple positions w a sling, a bit of small game hunting, plinking etc. the gun has solid reviews as does the compressor. Seems like it might be a good way to get into the pcp game

https://www.pyramydair.com/product/benjamin-marauder-field-and-target-air-rifle-kit?m=4854
    What kind of small game hunting? I love my Maurader but it is far to heavy and large for me to hit squirrels jumping around in a tree. If the squirrel is sitting in the yard stationary and I miss well that one is on me lol.

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    What kind of small game hunting? I love my Maurader but it is far to heavy and large for me to hit squirrels jumping around in a tree. If the squirrel is sitting in the yard stationary and I miss well that one is on me lol.
    Mostly just chasing squirrel and rabbits around in a couple of spots we have. Good thought on the weight, though. Might be rough carrying that anywhere in the woods.

TheGhostRider

Watching from a distance…
    Site Supporter
    Jan 10, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Mostly just chasing squirrel and rabbits around in a couple of spots we have. Good thought on the weight, though. Might be rough carrying that anywhere in the woods.
    I ran into a problem with weight as well. I’d purchased a fancy new .22 caliber springer gun. Diana 54 Airking Pro. By the time I added a scope and mount I was over 10 pounds. What I ended up with was a ”crew served air rifle”! Two men to hold it and a boy to pull the trigger. Snap shooting was out of the question. Stalking game… forget about it. With a bad shoulder and back it was not a good combo.
    I ended up taking a different route by thinking about the style of use.
    What is my intended use? Target shooting or Hunting?
    What caliber would serve me best? Easily sourced decent pellets.
    What weight range fully equipped? Prefer between 5 and 8 lbs.
    Type? Springer or PCP.
    Factory support?

And down the rabbit hole I went!!! Like Alice in wonderland… oh my… look at all the strange creatures, each with they’re + and -.
    1st order of the day... Get rid of the crew served rifle. Gone.
    Next… weight.
    Hold a 10 to 12 lb bowling ball out at arms length and you realize quickly that it’s not good.
    Hold a 10 to 12 lb bowling ball against your chest and it becomes reasonably manageable.
    So a combination of lighter weight in a shorter platform becomes interesting.
    The shorter the platform the closer to the body you keep the weight.
    Think bullpup.
    Now… usage. I wanted a pest control tool that had the ability to be a tack driver as well.
    Minute of Chipmunk at ~50 yards type of accurate.
    Caliber: .177 or .22
    .22 it is. Substantially more offerings as to type of projectile and still easy to source at local stores. Almost every Walmart has both .22 and .177 so you can buy it cheap and stack it deep.
    Type: Springer… probably the most popular of the types. Self supporting because no pumps/compressors needed. BUT, best if used with open/iron sights only unless you want to drop serious coin on a spring rated scope of which there are many “so called” spring rated out there… but are they?
    Another rabbit hole.
    PCP: Any scope will do. No planet shattering double recoil here. However, now the trade off.
    Air source. Another rabbit hole and a deep one at that.
    Are you going pro? 1000 rounds per week of soup can/pine squirrel/starling destruction.
    Want to put that bunny eating your flowers into a crockpot?
    You might be able to get away with a Chinamart compressor. 5000 psi is a lot of pressure to mess with though so choose wisely and match the compressor to the gun and the type of shooting your going to do.
    $500 or $5000.00 almost all compressors fall between these numbers but few between the 500 and 2k mark are really not meant for high volume shooting. They will suffice for the occasional pinker/pest hunter. But have the skill’s needed to render maintenance and repair as needed or you will hate the outcome.

I settled on PCP. I bought into a pricey gun and a low cost compressor.
    Bullpup style. Super accurate. Fast shooting (semi-auto), lightweight and reliable.
    I figured that if I wasn’t happy I could sell the gun and not be out much on the compressor and moisture filters.
    So far I’m beyond happy with my decisions.
    My PCP is 25.5” long, weighs under 8 lbs w/scope.
    Eight round magazine’s.
    And better than minute of chipmunk at ~50 yards. At 25 yards with CPHP 14.3 grain pellets it will stack the pellets if I‘m doing my part into a hole the size of a dime.
    With 18.1 gr JSB Diablo Heavy’s it will put them on top of each other.

All this cost a lot. But, it has been worth it.
    Leshiy 2.0 Reaper .22 w/250mm barrel.
    This is just a recommendation based on my experiences with the depth of the rabbit hole.

Top Bottom