• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    Anyone else trying to quit smoking? I have not smoked since 10 am yesterday and I am thinking that this will be permanent. I can already feel the difference physically as I don’t feel as tired today and for some reason feel a bit more peppy if you know what I mean. I strongly believe it is a mental thing and if I tell myself that I don’t need to smoke and convince myself of how unhealthy it is I can lay off it a lot easier. It would be nice to smoke one maybe once a month but I don’t know if this is even a good idea as to tempt myself to chain smoke or something. I have been smoking for about a year by the way-marlboro reds. I will be looking for another outlet such as exercise and such. Do you guys have any advice on quitting those of you who have quit or have been trying to? Also, any words of encouragement would be great!

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    It is all mental, you have to WANT to quit.

I smoked my last cig January 1st 2008 @ 10:00pm, it was the last of the pack and I just chose not to smoke any more.

Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    Thats the thing I don't think I have fully made up my mind about it. I am really determined about it but at the same time part of me doesn't want to stop.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I've never smoked, but I've worked on a bunch of other bad habits.

Suggestion 1: Look into breath mints. I'm into those Icebreakers, that come in little round plastic cans. They're about 2 calories apiece, but whenever I find myself needing to "do something with my hands", I pop about 3 of those and chew on 'em instead.

At least you're quitting before you're scared into it. My dad stopped the day he saw blood dripping out of his neck from a cancerous lesion on his throat. Almost 20 years clean now.

Suggestion 2: Don't count days. Count this day. Say "today I choose not to smoke", and let it go at that. Tomorrow, choose again. You can do anything for one day.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    The only thing I know about true addictions, is this...
    Once you have broke the hill, don't ever look back or do again, even this once. Don't ween yourself either. That just teaches yourself that a little is ok.

Anything done for 30days consistently is considered habitual. Breaking a habit is tough and requires a change of lifestyle for another 30 days. And that comes right out of my degree, and Steven Covey.

barber613

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Kokomo
    July 30 will be two years without smokes for me, chantix (sp) worked for me. Good luck, you won't miss them that much.

Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    I hope not Barber. It is not too bad even right now but I definitely need to find another outlet. Need to start racquetball again maybe

dice dealer

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Harrison county
    After 2 packs of camels a day for 25 years i quit 2 1/2 years ago .
    I used chatix to quit it is a wonder drug .

As someone stated in a Previous post , you have to want to quit .

I tried many times decided when i turned 40 im done 2 months of chantix and done .

Good luck if i can quit anyone can :patriot:

CulpeperMM

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    i smoked for nearly 20 years. quit this january. i used nic-gum for the first month, then sunflower seeds for a month. i guess you just really have to want to quit. it was tough at first, but doable. i'm almost 6 months out now.

(p.s. i'll trade you one round of 223 for a cigarette) j/k

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    I quit about a year ago. My wife said if I quit I could put all the money I was spending on cigarettes into a "gun fund." That did the trick.

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    That whole "Doing other things with your hands thing is true." I knew a guy at work who quit but then his masturbation got way out of hand. We encouraged him to start smoking AT work as opposed to well, the other thing he started doing...

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I quit a few years ago, about 6 and used the Nicoderm CQ clear patches. They worked like a charm. Of course, I wanted to quit, too. Like the others have said, that's key.

Dryden

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2009
    N.E. Indianapolis
    When my surgeon told me he would not operate on me for the second proceedure. During the first operation they had trouble keeping me breathing and my two pack a day habit contributed to the problem.
    Needless to say, I stopped.
    That was in 1979. Can you imagine how much money I would have spent on cigarettes???? (I compensated by putting that "extra" cash towards firearms!!;))

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    i hade a 100% full proff plan when i quit smoking.

i started chewing about 1-2 cans a day. i still smoke mabye 1 every 2 weeks. i had my first cig in a month last night sitting at indygunworks camp site talking to him. i know my method is cheating but you cant argue with results

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    I've quit several times for long periods. Trying right now w/o success because I'm surrounded by smokers!!! Gotta keep trying though.

Bob

eatsnopaste

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    South Bend
    I quit 6 years ago after almost 30 years of 1-2 packs a day. I used cigs. that cut the nicotine down in stages...can't remember the name but the first stage cut the nicotine in half, then again until the 3rd stage had no nicotine in them at all and you would have beaten the physical addiction...and they tasted so bad that after a bit you started to question why in the hell you were smoking at all. I then used sunflower seed to work on the "oral" fixation (I know...bring it!) Good luck and just keep trying!

Top Bottom