• ...and so much more!
  • Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    Silly President, Garands prevent crime; didn't Clint tell you when you were in that chair?

get_off_my_lawn.jpg

Last edited:

BravoMike

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Avon
    Yes. You still have to go through NIS check but you did not have to do prints, photo, or LEO signature. I wonder what they will do with all the pending trust forms?
    Thank you. I am not familiar with that whole process, but it sounds like the press that I have read that claims that you don't have to go through a background check to buy a machine gun is complete and utter bs.

BravoMike

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Avon
    Maybe a dumb question, but I'll ask it anyway. Does anyone know were I can find the text for this executive order? I searched and could not find it.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Yes. You still have to go through NIS check

The 4473 has a box (item #22) that says "No NICS check was required because the transfer involved only National Firearms Act firearms" and the instructions read (emphasis mine):

A NICS check is not required if the transfer qualifies for any of the exceptions in 27 CFR § 478.102(d). Generally these include:
    (a) transfers where the buyer has presented the licensee with a permit or license that allows the buyer to possess, acquire, or carry a firearm, and the permit has been recognized by ATF as a valid alternative to the NICS check requirement;
    (b) transfers of National Firearms Act weapons approved by ATF; or
    (c) transfers certified by ATF as exempt because compliance with the NICS check requirements is impracticable. See 27 CFR § 4 78.102(d) for a detailed explanation.
    If the transfer qualifies for one of these exceptions, the licensee must obtain the documentation required by 27 CFR § 478.131.
    A firearm must not be transferred to any buyer who fails to provide such documentation.

It has been awhile since I bought an NFA firearm, but I don't recall undergoing a NICS check for any of them. My understanding is that the NICS check isn't required because one undergoes a federal background check in the course of having the ATF Form 4 approved. I assume the rules are different when you are buying the item through a Trust? :dunno:

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    Hmm. Maybe because I'm building it myself? I bought an sbr in parts and I went through the nics for the lower just like normal. Maybe if you buy it already put together its different. I put my trust and form1 in the mail last week so I'm waiting to see what happens.

indydrew1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 29, 2013
    Greenwood
    Sooooooo..... we won't be able to get our M1 carbines or M1 Garands back from Korea, and I don't know much of anything about trusts and corporations to comment on that one. I want to know what 250,000 firearms they're talking about being imported. Are they CMP Garands? I can't think of what military arms we sent over seas that have been returned since 2005.

What intelligent lawmaker thinks that thugs, and gangsta hommies are looking to get there hands on old military surplus weapons? This is insane now legal law abiding gun owners will not be able to get our hands back on OUR weapons like the Garands. What thug or mass shooter is looking for old military surplus and parts kits. This is just the Clinton law re-imagined for foreign guns. No more random Infields either if this crap pass's. The Garands are over 50 years old. If this law does pass then we are screwed as a country.

indydrew1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 29, 2013
    Greenwood
    On the foreign side of this law it can be interpreted to apply to any foreign made guns. I wonder if Glock saw this coming, or if it played apart in them building guns in America. Im sure it's not the only reason, but Glock has a history of reading the tea leaves. Back in the Clinton ban days they ran there factories non stop building high cap mags because they saw the ban coming. They then sold them after the ban was signed, which they could do since they were made prior to the ban. They made a fortune. Like I said there are lots of reasons they started building guns in Georgia, But I would not be surprised if part of it was they thought something like this law could be passed some day.

indydrew1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 29, 2013
    Greenwood
    Sorry to keep reposting, but this pisses me off. At the end of the day it seems the Obama's have no problem arming the Mexican drug cartels, and Muslim extremists. But God for bid law abiding tax paying american citizens get there hands on some 50 year old military surplus weapons. As well as taxing ammo, and increasing the tax stamp from $200 to $500. And increasing guns taxes and ammo taxes. Im sure this wont increase the already crazy ammo supply situation. I know this "law" is not going to pass but still it's the idea. Arming foreign drug dealers, and terrorists is just fine with the Obama's. This is just sad, and pathetic.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    On the foreign side of this law it can be interpreted to apply to any foreign made guns. I wonder if Glock saw this coming, or if it played apart in them building guns in America. Im sure it's not the only reason, but Glock has a history of reading the tea leaves. Back in the Clinton ban days they ran there factories non stop building high cap mags because they saw the ban coming. They then sold them after the ban was signed, which they could do since they were made prior to the ban. They made a fortune. Like I said there are lots of reasons they started building guns in Georgia, But I would not be surprised if part of it was they thought something like this law could be passed some day.
    It only applies to US made weapons given to another country as military aid. Doesn't hurt imports of newly made foreign firearms. I don't see that as far off though. Seems like the next logical step is to ban all foreign firearms and ammo imports.

indydrew1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 29, 2013
    Greenwood
    Don't apologize. You are contributing to a conversation. There are people that post "I agree", and "What were they thinking?"
    Then repeat 50 times.
    Your 3 posts have contributed.

Thanks, I'm new here as you can see. There seems to be some really nice folks here, like you. Some boards posting 3 posts back to back would get ya yelled at. I just get more upset over this as it goes on. Even though at the end of the day this thing has zero chance of passing. So I should not get that upset over it. However the principal of this with the tax is worse then some of the crazy gun ban laws that get put out. This bill amounts to class warfare in some ways with an ammo tax and the gun tax. It effects working people far more then the rich. At least with the bans they effect all of us the same, not saying I agree with any ban obviously.

indydrew1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 29, 2013
    Greenwood
    It only applies to US made weapons given to another country as military aid. Doesn't hurt imports of newly made foreign firearms. I don't see that as far off though. Seems like the next logical step is to ban all foreign firearms and ammo imports.

You may be right, I know it effects military surplus, it spells that out clear as day. The bill talks about the Korean Garand's we sent over 50 years ago specifically. But what I read also talked about "part kits" which could be interpreted to all kinds of AK variants and other guns. I don't know it just ****'s me off. And can Obama sign this into law, or parts of it with an executive order, the tax part he cant. But the bans he can I believe.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    You may be right, I know it effects military surplus, it spells that out clear as day. The bill talks about the Korean Garand's we sent over 50 years ago specifically. But what I read also talked about "part kits" which could be interpreted to all kinds of AK variants and other guns. I don't know it just ****'s me off. And can Obama sign this into law, or parts of it with an executive order, the tax part he cant. But the bans he can I believe.

I could be wrong, but the bill applies to all shipped out, not just Korean Garands. It's just the rifles after that were ARs, full auto. And they are already prevented from coming back.

I could be wrong though, I often am.

indydrew1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 29, 2013
    Greenwood
    What? I haven't read this yet, although I haven't found the text of the EA's yet either. Do you have a source?

Dem bill would trigger huge new taxes on guns, ammo | Fox News

The bill would also increase the transfer tax on all weapons (except antique guns) covered under the National Firearms Act (which excludes most common guns) from $200 to $500 and index to inflation and increase the transfer tax for any other weapon from $5 to $100.

Read more: Dem bill would trigger huge new taxes on guns, ammo | Fox News

This is a new bill being put forward by an Illinois and New Jersey lib's.

Last edited:

indydrew1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 29, 2013
    Greenwood
    I could be wrong, but the bill applies to all shipped out, not just Korean Garands. It's just the rifles after that were ARs, full auto. And they are already prevented from coming back.

I could be wrong though, I often am.

No you are correct I just read that the Garands were due to be coming back, but if this goes thru???

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Just a note...
    The NFA change, and import change are Executive Orders.
    The tax is a proposed bill. It has to go through the House and the Senate. A lot harder to pass.
    Then, the Supreme Court could rule it as a "poll tax".

Top Bottom