Active shooter at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyTom

Expert
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Oct 3, 2013
    Fishers
    Am I missing something, or could the results of a 10 month investigation into the worst mass public shooting in US history (excluding Wounded Knee) be summed up with :dunno: ??

Pretty sure that is an accurate assessment. I watched part of the press briefing live and the general idea was, 'We aren't saying that we know what caused it, but you can probably make that conclusion on your own by reading it. We won't be saying it, though.'

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Pretty sure that is an accurate assessment. I watched part of the press briefing live and the general idea was, 'We aren't saying that we know what caused it, but you can probably make that conclusion on your own by reading it. We won't be saying it, though.'

Anybody have the cliffsnotes?

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Anybody have the cliffsnotes?
    His brothers seemed to sum it up pretty well
    https://www.npr.org/2018/08/03/635507299/las-vegas-shooting-investigation-closed-no-motive-found
    The report includes notes from an interview with Paddock's brother Eric Paddock, who "believed Paddock may have conducted the attack because he had done everything in the world he wanted to do and was bored with everything. If so, Paddock would have planned the attack to kill a large amount of people because he would want to be known as having the largest casualty count. Paddock always wanted to be the best and known to everyone."

Another brother, Bruce Paddock, told investigators that "Paddock was suffering from mental illness and was paranoid and delusional." A Las Vegas doctor, identified as Paddock's primary care physician, told investigators he believed the gunman may have had bipolar disorder but the he had refused medication to treat it. He also described Paddock's behavior as "odd."

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Putting this here because my comment involves the portion of the article describing this attack.

Basically, it is an interesting timeline of "mass shootings." On its own, it can somewhat rebut an assertion that there are more and more of "them."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/recent-mass-shootings-in-the-us-a-timeline/ar-AAFkzcy

But I specifically bring it up because there's a misstatement of fact. Now, it is certainly common for the MSM to get firearm facts wrong. But this one seems kinda odd, in that it almost makes the shooter seem... more illegal.

Investigators later found a cache of 23 weapons in his hotel room, including 14 firearms that had been illegally modified with bump stocks, which allow a shooter to fire more rounds at a rapid pace.

(Emphasis added.)

Now, I haven't seen anything about how bumpstocks being illegal at the time they were used by that shooter. Is the MSN statement true? Or, did some intern research bumpstocks and see that they are now illegal, without actually checking the dates?

Just seems like an odd mistake to make.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    Putting this here because my comment involves the portion of the article describing this attack.

Basically, it is an interesting timeline of "mass shootings." On its own, it can somewhat rebut an assertion that there are more and more of "them."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/recent-mass-shootings-in-the-us-a-timeline/ar-AAFkzcy

But I specifically bring it up because there's a misstatement of fact. Now, it is certainly common for the MSM to get firearm facts wrong. But this one seems kinda odd, in that it almost makes the shooter seem... more illegal.

(Emphasis added.)

Now, I haven't seen anything about how bumpstocks being illegal at the time they were used by that shooter. Is the MSN statement true? Or, did some intern research bumpstocks and see that they are now illegal, without actually checking the dates?

Just seems like an odd mistake to make.

Unless they were illegal locally, which I would have to look into, it sounds like a lack of research on behalf of the person who wrote it. Or perhaps something more nefarious like puahing an agenda.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I thought about the agenda thing, but if that's the case, they're kinda doing it wrong. (Not that I'd point that out to them.)

I mean, if the guns were illegally modified, I think most people would accept that "new" laws wouldn't have changed anything. If they really wanted to advocate a change in policy, they'd say that the guns were legally available at the time.

Again, I'm not complaining about them getting it wrong; I just thought it was an odd mistake to make.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Missed these two earlier:

Veteran police officer fired for inaction during 2017 Las Vegas mass shooting reinstated

When the shooting started he and a rookie officer and three hotel security guards went to the floor below the shooter, where the officer said he "froze" and they remained their for 5 minutes. Then, according to other articles, they went to the stairwell between the floors and waited another 15 minutes. Other officers received lesser discipline for turning off or failing to activate body cameras, and one officer was disciplined for firing a three-round burst inside the shooter's hotel room after it was all over.

Story came out in July 2019, the officer was fired 20 March of that year. Apparently his body cam footage started circulating in the media.

Fired officer who hestitated during Las Vegas shooting reinstated
    Arbitrator reinstated officer, said she didn't see anything to terminate him for. Went back to work on 21 Mar 20.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Can the auto manufacturers be sued when a drunk or high driver kills a family member?
    IMO there is no difference between that and going after the firearms manufacturer.

The parents should have brought the suit against the shooters estate. I believe they would have been more successful.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    This sums it up pretty well for me:

Somehow it seems newsworthy when the law, as written, is applied as written and intended.

Top Bottom