• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I was just accused by a co-worker of being a racist. I think that would be news to my biracial stepson, eh?

Here is what happened. A guy at work says: "I used to have a black cat with a small white dot on it, I called him 8 Ball". My young black female co-worker says "I had a friend that had a cat named 8 Ball". So I say "Was it called 8 Ball for the same reason?" and she flipped on me and said that I was a racist and that was a racist remark. I tried to apologize and explain, but she said for me to leave her alone.

Now, we ALL joke around with each other all day, so this isn't lie I never joke around with people. The girl in question and I had a great relationship up until today. My intent had nothing to do with race. I had friends(white) in the past that had some shady dealings, and I could see them calling a pet 8 ball.

I don't know what to do here. This is at the workplace we are talking about, and something like this could put my job at risk.

Any thoughts and/or advice would be helpful. Thanks.

Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    Your comment wasn't racist. It had to do with the color of the cat and nothing to do with the color of a person. This person has effectively pulled the race card. :)

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    Tell your boss about it. Just leave it at that. Mention it in passing, not trying to stir the pot.

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Indian-noplace
    What, 8 ball crack deals are only for one color of person?

Or one color of person is only allowed to know what an 8 ball really is?

Or the cat can only be called 8 ball because he is a certain color?

I could go on and on and on and on....

PapaScout

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jun 30, 2008
    Live in Wilbur, Work in Indy
    Now I've played me some pool in the past and every single 8 ball I've seen was black with a white spot. That's not racism - that's just a fact.

I think she's got a chip or three on her shoulder and looking for excuses.

Richard

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If it were me? I'd go straight to my boss & tell them exactly what happened & I'd make damn sure that they knew I was upset about the coworkers "racist!" accusation.

In fact I would probably over-react exactly like she would have acted if I had called her the "forbidden word".

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Thanks for the input.

I am trying to balance my outrage, with trying not to over-react and lose my job. Racism in the workplace is an offense that could get me terminated.

I emailed my boss, let's see what he says.

Edit: Yanno what makes it worse? She slams Mexicans all day long. ugh!

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Hmmm... I would say she is racist if she believes only black folks ever used the slang-phrase of "8-ball" for a quantity of cocaine.

One I'm coming to grips with: a noose.

I've been a knot-knut for years. Swiftwater Rescue Technician. I taught whitewater rescue classes. Taken Mountain Rescue classes. I met my wife 16 years ago when she was a student in a whitewater kayak class I was teaching. I had a 22' sailboat for a couple of years. Lived on a houseboat in a marina for a year. Yes, I can tie a damn knot.

We used to make nooses (noosi??) as a kid. (Yes, I can make one helluva noose.) It was all about hang-'em-high, old westerns.

Now someone makes a noose and it's like I lit a burning cross??? When did it become the sole bailiwick of southern/racist lynchings and not the old west?

Sigh...

Now I just satisfy myself with making monkey's fists.

anthony010

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Westfield
    Im Black I see no reason at all for her to be upset one bit, from the story you told and the reaction she gave doesnt add up. I think something else may have been going on with her. Telling your boss was the right thing to do. I find her reaction very wierd.

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    First, go to your supervisor and explain what happened and make sure those around know that you went to him/her. That way you were the first to shed light on the mis-communication. COVER YOUR BUTT! It is Ob ama Nation now; so, you need to realize who will get the upper hand in a situation like this.

Then, go to her and try to reconcile. If she will not, communicate to your supervisor this. COVER YOUR BUTT! Did I say that yet? lol.

Let NO ground be uncovered and no avenue be available for the woman to turn sour and try and 'flip you' and your job.

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    WAhhhhhhhhhh! She is so repressed in this modern day and age that one of her coworkers named a cat 8 ball because it shared the same colors as a pool device. I'd mention it to the bossman, but ignore it as irrational reverse racist behavior on her part.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Great input my friends. Thank you all.

Im Black I see no reason at all for her to be upset one bit, from the story you told and the reaction she gave doesnt add up. I think something else may have been going on with her. Telling your boss was the right thing to do. I find her reaction very wierd.

Very valuable input, thank you Anthony! I agree with you. I had a friend that had a cat named Mary Jane. It sure wasn't for the shoes! lol

First, go to your supervisor and explain what happened and make sure those around know that you went to him/her. That way you were the first to shed light on the mis-communication. COVER YOUR BUTT! It is Ob ama Nation now; so, you need to realize who will get the upper hand in a situation like this.

Then, go to her and try to reconcile. If she will not, communicate to your supervisor this. COVER YOUR BUTT! Did I say that yet? lol.

Let NO ground be uncovered and no avenue be available for the woman to turn sour and try and 'flip you' and your job.

Supervisor notified by email for documentation. Tried to apologize and explain, no dice.

WAhhhhhhhhhh! She is so repressed in this modern day and age that one of her coworkers named a cat 8 ball because it shared the same colors as a pool device. I'd mention it to the bossman, but ignore it as irrational reverse racist behavior on her part.

See that is the funny part. She didn't get mad about the "black cat" reference, but she did get mad at me for the implied drug reference. oy

To make matters worse, I am getting the silent treatment from the rest of my co-workers now! :dunno:

Richard

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    To make matters worse, I am getting the silent treatment from the rest of my co-workers now! :dunno:

I'd nip that in the bud ASAP, if it were me I'd make them choose a side.

It's going to be an uphill battle against that "you're a racist!" accusation unless the other coworkers who witnessed the exchange come out in support of you.

Otherwise you're probably going to end up being burned at the stake.

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009

This is so stupid. ugh. I'm sorry you are dealing with this. Take these peoples advice though. I'm sorry, but I'd make a big deal about it. I've been accused of being racist...and if you know me, you know I am FAR from it.
    I would see if you could call a meeting with all your co workers. Maybe stay after work for 15 minutes of so to talk about it. It should be fixed right them and there...No coming to work tomorrow holding grudges. If you dont take care of it now....it could continue for god knows how long.
    And if the lady cant get over it...YOU pull the RACIST card!(I AM DEAD SERIOUS) :twocents::patriot:

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    ahh the race card! doesnt matter what color you are seems to be used by everyone anymore.
    talk about a stupid thing to get upset about...so I guess only black people are crack heads? hmm I dont buy it. sounds to me like she is just having a bad day and was waiting for someone to say something she could bitch about. toss a midol on her desk and tell her to chill out{taking my advise is never a good idea :)}

jennybird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    Good gravy... people like that make me crazy! Props to you for having enough self-control not to go off on her. I think anthony010 might be right about her having something else going on with her. And the next time you hear her rip on Mexicans, I hope you call her on it.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Did you tell her you don't think the cat liked being called "black"??? :n00b:

I am not sure if she is mad b/c it was a black comment about a cat or if it was comment about her friend, who we don't even know is black.

The alternative to "8 Ball" is a drug slang and that might be why she got upset, you might have incinuated that her friend was into drugs and thats why she named her cat "8 Ball", therfor saying that her friend was into drugs b/c she is black. I know its a stretch but that is how this sh!t happens sometimes.

By the way an 8-Ball is mixing Cocaine and Heroin.

Top Bottom