• ...and so much more!
  • Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    This sea change of thinking is, I believe, both unintentional, was unforeseeable, and was inevitable.

I take care of property out in the country. Not country like the wilds of Michigan's UP, nor of the 10,000 acre farms of Oklahoma, but simply in Adams County Indiana where three (3) of the four (4) neighbors are Amish.

Out there in the fall I burn leaves. In town I rake them and put them at the curb. Out there if I create garbage I drag it into town or take it to the dump. Out there I have to worry about the well. In town I rely on the city to bring me the clean water.

As America has slowly urbanized we have become more and more dependent upon government services. The rural people still depend mostly upon themselves and/or small businesses, the urbanized folk depend more upon government services. And yet, those government services provide vital aid to those truly in need.

As much as I love to rail against social security I must admit that it does provide an important need for those who have not saved for retirement, and most importantly, DID not. Most of us were not alive and in adulthood when SS was passed. We didn't suffer the massive unemployment lines or watch our grandparents suffer the indignation of being kicked out of their own homes or apartments because they could not afford either the final mortgage payments or rent. And if the home was paid off they had almost nothing to live on.

Which is how I can come to the Walton's. Those days are over for the vast majority of Americans. Three (3) generations living in the same home is almost unheard of in this day and age. While SS was badly written, massively underfunded, poorly executed, with horrible investment options, it was better than the nothing that existed. For those who remember I DO understand that it was designed to be 1/3 of the three (3) legged stool for retirement, a supplement and not an entire portfolio. Still, that isn't as much the fault of the government as of media and public self-imposed ignorance.

So when people moved off of the farm and into the big cities getting those great factory and industrial jobs they brought their farm values with them. When their children were born they had no farm values and living in the city was normal. They didn't have a choice. Of course, they were raised by parents with values but their entire lives were immersed in city life. And by city life I don't mean small to mid-sized cities like Fort Wayne, I mean the major industrial cities of New York, Pittsburgh, Chicago, Cleveland, etc. Those cities had row houses and few suburbs initially. Three (3) generations later and the farm folks who moved in had all died off and their normal view of the world was living in a city and being dependent upon a large number of government services. They did not and do not have a choice. What did we expect?

Then we move to television. How does it show us how to live? The days of Archie Bunker, Rosanne, and the Good Times are over. Try to keep up with how folks live on TV and for that we need Peter Graves or Tom Cruise for Mission Impossible. This has altered the cultural perception of millions of Americans. Maybe they can keep up with Olivia Benson (L&O:SVU) in her apartment or worse, Julianna Margulies (The Good Wife.) But when the do keep up they have far less to invest and save for retirement.

Today there is a vast number of working homeless in California. The cost of living is simply too high for many Americans to be able to buy a home or even rent an apartment. In the end there will be a government fix put on this. I'm not saying it's right, just acknowledging that's the way it's gonna be. Whatever it is it will "fix" some of the problems, but at what cost? That will be for future generations to b***h about.

Fortunately with urbanization our population is slowing declining here in America. In other places around the world it has fallen off a cliff (China, Russia, Germany, South Korea to name a few.) So as demand reduces and we have a little more breathing space maybe we'll spread out a bit and get back to a slightly more rural lifestyle and our cultural pendulum will swing back the other way. Maybe...?

Regards,

Doug

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Funny you mention the age they left. I left at 17 and enlisted. I have always been right leaning. The sooner one is responsible for ones self is the sooner they realize they have become conservative. Lol
    Thank you for your Service.
    I really was shocked when my first one said I'm not going to college and I'm enlisting in the USMC. I said you've lost your Fing mind son, I've saved my ass off for you two to get higher education. This has been discussed since you were a kid.
    A few weeks later I watched him go through MEP's. Two yrs almost to the same date, I dropped off #2 at MEP's.

My Father a Navy man, said almost the same thing to me. He said son, I enlisted at 18 because my Father would not sign my papers. I signed your papers at 17 and didn't sleep for the 6 years you served.
    He then told me what he has learned since then is, if they leave home at that age, you've done your job well.
    FB_IMG_1634150826124.jpg

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Both of my kids became economic conservatives when they got their first paychecks and were shocked how much had been extracted. Both are now employed, tax paying citizens and own guns. They enjoy more aspects of city living than I ever did so there is that difference.

Taxes are 'hidden' because they are taken out of the paycheck, before you get it.
    It shouldn't happen that way.
    Should be required to pay a bill each month, just like other bills.
    Then, people might see what they are paying.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Funny you mention the age they left. I left at 17 and enlisted. I have always been right leaning. The sooner one is responsible for ones self is the sooner they realize they have become conservative. Lol
    Did you have to get emancipated? That’s what I had to do at 17?

Piezak

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2024
    Mooresville, IN
    My sister got hooked up with an ex musician whom tended bar and did other small jobs along the way. Now that he's staring at the precipice of retirement, he only has a small Social Security check to lean on. So, government subsidized apartment living for him it will be. So, he got my sister interested in going to some kind of Indian rituals where they smoke pot and dance somewhere up in Wisconsin where they live.

Over the course of a year my sister built up enough courage to finally block my phone number because I shared truth information about our country and the world. A truth video concerning Jan 6 was her final straw. She never said a word about any of the earlier things, but then one day went seismic.

I guess its like that. She was getting support from him about how bad the right wingers are and how terrible conservatives are. So, now my once reasonable sister went into a screaming fit just like all the other left wingers and then blamed me while doing so. This infection pries common sense from your grip and replaces it with outward mind numbing rudeness.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Taxes are 'hidden' because they are taken out of the paycheck, before you get it.
    I’ve long advocated for this. It was an evil genius that invented employer withholding.

blain

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 27, 2016
    Evansville
    I’ve long advocated for this. It was an evil genius that invented employer withholding.
    1913:
    * 16th Amendment, "The Congress shall have power to lay and collect taxes on incomes, from whatever source derived, without apportionment among the several States, and without regard to any census or enumeration."
    * The Federal Reserve System, "The Federal Reserve System was created on December 23, 1913, when President Woodrow Wilson signed the Federal Reserve Act into law. The system is composed of a central, independent governmental agency--the Board of Governors--in Washington, D.C., and 12 regional Federal Reserve Banks, located in major cities throughout the nation."

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Well there is that and the fact they are taken out of gross and not net. That would of course be a tax on a tax. And we all know what a problem that caused.

JMO, but it seems to my uneducated mind that a plain n simple flat tax would solve a lot of problems.

No different tax rates, you make X you pay this amount. Even a dummy can figure this out. Save on IRS agents, tax forms, tax code, trees, and zillionaires pay the exact same as your bar tender. They will still be zillionaires.

Now who do you think makes this impossible???

For those that don’t get it or know, it’s all of the .gov or ANYONE that’s involved with .gov. Again this is just my opinion.

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    1913:
    * 16th Amendment, "The Congress shall have power to lay and collect taxes on incomes, from whatever source derived, without apportionment among the several States, and without regard to any census or enumeration."
    * The Federal Reserve System, "The Federal Reserve System was created on December 23, 1913, when President Woodrow Wilson signed the Federal Reserve Act into law. The system is composed of a central, independent governmental agency--the Board of Governors--in Washington, D.C., and 12 regional Federal Reserve Banks, located in major cities throughout the nation."
    The FED. Is the greatest crime ever committed on the American populace and the American people. You can search my posts and see I’ve said it a lot. I can buy ~2 gallons of gas today for a quarter. A real quarter. Don’t care which party is in power. They are all the same commie bastages with their own interest in mind. NONE of them care about America or Americans, they only think about themselves.

The framers stated as much in our constitution, they’d seen it before. No money shall be made unless it was silver or gold. (Not actual wording) But they put it in our founding documents.
    They knew the danger of fiat currency. It’s been the downfall of many good governments. If Federal Reserve Notes are so valuable why don’t they keep them in Ft. Knox? I’m done.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    My stepson barely has any time for me because he went Left. He was a Bernie Bro during 2020. Was one of the first in line for his age group for the clot shot. We were getting together every other weekend until COVID hit and when I wouldn't mask or get the shot he didn't want anything more to do with me. I keep hoping now that he's been working a few years in his career field that he'll eventually come around. I pray for it all the time.

Top Bottom