• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lrdudley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2016
    Indianapolis
    to Brett Havlin, Havlin Firearms Finishing in Brownsburg.
    After reading a two year old thread on Ingo about chamber casting a Mauser rifle I contacted Brett about two firearms my father had brought back with him at the end of WWII. Brett replied quickly that he could take care of what I wanted and I set up an appointment on his online calendar and made the trip from Beech Grove to Boone County. Picked both firearms up today along with a bunch more knowledge than when they were dropped off.
    The rifle has a Mauser action and has been re-barreled and chambered in 8X50Rmm Austrian Mannlicher. Believe it or not, I may have found a source for a box of this ammo.
    The 20 gauge double barrel drilling has the rifle barrel chambered in .32-40 Winchester.
    My goal in this endeavor is to shoot both firearms before they are put away or sent off to new homes. To the best of my knowledge, the rifle has never been fired since it was brought to the United States. The 20 gauge has been used for deer hunting with slugs, but I never remember Dad bringing home a deer. I also never remember any rifle shells for either gun.
    If you have a need for a gunsmith in the Central Indiana area, please give Brett a call. He treated me more than fair and I enjoyed the brief time we got to talk. He showed a real interest in these old guns and the back stories that when with them. It was a pleasure to meet a young man that really has a passion for what he is doing.
    Just a note, what looks like pitting or corrosion in the shotgun barrels is really lint from the gun case.
    Rifle 1.JPG Rifle2.JPG Rifle3.JPG Drilling4.JPG
    Drilling1.JPG Drilling2.JPG Drilling6.JPG Drilling7.JPG
    View attachment 63941 View attachment 63942

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Cool story and beautiful firearms. I always liked the pre-war German drillings and thought they were a neat concept.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Note: Those drillings are called what they are after the German word for three - "drei"

A vierling gun has 4 barrels.

Also - I echo that Brett H. is good people and does good work.

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    If you have a need for a gunsmith in the Central Indiana area, please give Brett a call. He treated me more than fair and I enjoyed the brief time we got to talk. He showed a real interest in these old guns and the back stories that when with them. It was a pleasure to meet a young man that really has a passion for what he is doing.

+100
    I too have had a couple of really good experiences with Brett. Cannot say enough good thing about him and his work!

Squirt239

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    North of Brownsburg
    Thanks again for bringing your firearms to me. I certainly enjoyed seeing them, and hearing the stories behind them!

By the way, your wife is a doll...she really made Laura's day.

Top Bottom