• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    I know a guy who has a lifetime permit he carries and has a domestic violence conviction. How is one to know that if they were to sell a firearm to him? I know better because I know him and that he has that conviction, but people here who ask for Indiana ID and his LTCH would get both and not know any better.
    There is no way. #1- Ask if they are an Indiana resident. #2- Ask if they are a prohibited person.

If they say yes and no, then you are not A person who knowingly or intentionally sells, gives, or in any other manner transfers the ownership or possession of a handgun to another person who the person knows.... (IC Code 35-47-2-7)

If you want more proof then pay a dealer to transfer the firearm as a private sale. It is one of the types of "transaction purposes" on a e-check. May be worth the $10-25

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Choices... We each have them.
    Today I turned down purchasing a gun as the person selling requested of me to fax a copy of my DL and LTCH to him prior to meeting him for the transaction.
    I've no ill will toward this person as it's obviously they're prerogative to make said request. However... after having fought ID theft to the sum of 10s of thousands of dollars... I sure as hell am not going to throw my info out there to someone I don't know, member here or not.
    So I keep my $100 dollar bills and they keep they're gun... simple.
    Choices... We each have them.
    Yep, that would be a definite no. Not giving out copies... and who in the hell even has a fax machine anymore.

tenor.gif

Last edited:

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    I guess people throwing that stipulation onto their firearm sale always seemed like they were kinda discriminating against their fellow firearms enthusiasts. Due to the reasons that you stated.

While I never really considered it discrimination, as soon as I see that someone requires that I show them my pink thing I immediately lose interest in the ad and continue on to the next interesting firearm. I also won't do a bill of sale or anything else above the minimum the law requires.

I also don't have a pink thing, so there's that.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Just curious what all the sellers in the classifieds who want to "take a quick peek at your pink card" are going to do, after July 1st.
    If they don't have one, then all you can do is ask them if they are prohibited from owning firearms, and then have them prove Indiana residency by flashing their driver's license.

Last edited:

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I don't think anyone here wants to sell a firearm to a criminal. At the same time I think many don't want to act as an agent for the guv mint.
    So how do you balance that to where everyone is happy?
    I would say to in good faith follow the law with regard to not knowingly selling a gun to an "improper person" and confirming Indiana residency.

Plus, if you have a normal amount of discernment, even if they answer your questions right, you will usually get a feel for a person you feel uneasy selling a firearm to, and not going through with the sale.

Which I believe that even an FFL in business can refuse to sell to somebody they don't have a good feeling about who answers the 4473 questions right.

Brian's Surplus

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 18, 2016
    Howard County
    I have no problem with sellers making any demands they wish. It's their gun to sell, or not to sell.
    The idea of thinking that a look at something that can be easily forged or could be possessed long after a criminal conviction makes any difference seems silly to me. There are lots of fake DLs out there. Seems to me that a LTCH would be exceedingly easy to fake. Due diligence means not selling to someone that you know cannot legally purchase.
    I'm curious, are there also people here that would refuse to sell to someone with the original piece of paper LTCH that did not upgrade to the plastic card? Those old ones (like the one I still have) could be faked by anyone with a printer.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I don't think anyone here wants to sell a firearm to a criminal. At the same time I think many don't want to act as an agent for the guv mint.
    So how do you balance that to where everyone is happy?
    [SARCASM FONT]Whenever I trade a duffel-bag full of assorted handguns for a kilo of cocaine, I will only deal with criminals, preferably violent felons. With violent felons you have a known quantity. Oh wait, wrong forum, never-mind![SARCASM FONT] :lmfao:

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    I have always measured the man instead of the credentials. Can do it rather fast and accurate. Oodles and oodles of reveals if you know what to look for. However, a mole person, has no clue. So therefore, don’t care about no stinking LTCH.

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    No one can be blamed for looking out for him or herself. I can confidently say that I have seen an IN DL and LTCH for every single handgun or long gun I have ever sold here. If I’m going to travel to meet someone to sell a firearm, I’m not going to do it on the supposition that they pass my “Spidey senses”. If they trick me with forged documents, that’s on them. I’m going to do my part. Two years from now, the landscape could be much different, but I doubt it.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    No one can be blamed for looking out for him or herself. I can confidently say that I have seen an IN DL and LTCH for every single handgun or long gun I have ever sold here. If I’m going to travel to meet someone to sell a firearm, I’m not going to do it on the supposition that they pass my “Spidey senses”. If they trick me with forged documents, that’s on them. I’m going to do my part. Two years from now, the landscape could be much different, but I doubt it.
    doing_my_part_starship_troopers-1.gif

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    There is no way. #1- Ask if they are an Indiana resident. #2- Ask if they are a prohibited person.

If they say yes and no, then you are not A person who knowingly or intentionally sells, gives, or in any other manner transfers the ownership or possession of a handgun to another person who the person knows.... (IC Code 35-47-2-7)
    This.

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County

THIS ^^^. Asking these two simple questions is called doing your "Due Diligence." Nothing wrong with asking. It is a good practice.

Top Bottom