A Heavily Armed Man Caused Panic at a Supermarket. But Did He Break the Law?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MRP2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Greenwood
    What would you do whether alone or with your family if you witnessed a man coming out of the bathroom with body armor, a shotgun and an AR?

The guy didn’t break the law but it brings up a good debate

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    I guess I am probably in @chipbennett camp.

ETA: I believe this is the event referred too by the OP:

https://buffalonews.com/a-heavily-a...cle_d576ceaf-80d6-5a50-b62b-5015833a1d72.html

Put this event in the context of the Greenwood Park Mall event. By the time Mr. Dickens engaged there had already been multiple unmistakable gunshots and obviously killed / wounded patrons. He did not engage some LARPer who decided to show off at the mall by strutting around with a long gun.

So long as Mr. Rambo wannabe makes no threatening moves with the weapons (they better be slung or carried in a manner where a finger is NOT near a trigger) you clear the area and monitor the idiot while calling 911 to report a potentially mentally disturbed man with weapons. During the call I would note he was not threatening anyone, but he was displaying concerning behavior while obviously armed.

The situation entirely dictates response.
    1. If he appears erratic or threatening get you and yours out of Dodge while helping as many others as you safely can. Even if he appears to be simply "making a statement", I would consider the individuals judgement highly suspect and would not want me or mine around.

2. If he appears to be mentally unstable (shouting, random or inappropriate speech or gestures), see above, while taking extra precautions as may be prudent. Clearing cover garment etc.

3. If he appears to be an incipient threat, hand(s) on slung weapon, weapon at low ready, or finger on or near trigger; then it may be appropriate for you as a defender to draw your weapon to low ready while maintaining cover. Such an action would need to be taken with due regard to the defender's potential risk. (fixing Indiana's "pointing a firearm" issue could help here) The foregoing however assumes you have not been able to execute option 1 effectively.
    Personally, I would prefer open carry to be as common as the sun rising. The issue with open carry of long guns is they are unwieldly and get in the way of life. That's kind of why handguns were invented. Outside of specific threat or use cases (lawful protest, community protection from rioting, etc.) walking around with a long gun is simply difficult as a defensive firearm tool, and begs the question why?

Kurr

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2011
    Jefferson County
    If i see 2 guys that dont appear to know each other, and one has a rifle / shotgun slung, and the other has his sidearm unholstered and or at low ready guess who the bigger threat is.

Or if I don't see the long arm guy and I come around the corner in the grocery store and see someone peering around the other end with a handgun IN HAND.

Doesn't seem to be a position I'd like to be anywhere near. Seems a good way to get smoked.

jcole123

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2022
    Indianapolis
    What would you do whether alone or with your family if you witnessed a man coming out of the bathroom with body armor, a shotgun and an AR?

The guy didn’t break the law but it brings up a good debate
    I agree with exercising your legal right to carry, but you also have to have some knowledge of the current cultural situation. With shootings occurring daily, many people are going to assume automatically that you could be a potential threat. It’s just ignorance and someone looking for attention most likely. Constitutional concealed carry is being passed in many states, allowing for you to CONCEAL your firearm. This makes you less of a target and also keeps those around you from feeling uncomfortable.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    1. look for insignia to see if he's LEO
    2. keep him in sight to watch for aggressive behavior

3. If no aggressive behavior, wonder who he's bein an attention grabbing decoy for
    4. Prepare to film the ensuing police interaction for youtube content
    I never thought of #3......

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Constitutional concealed carry is being passed in many states, allowing for you to CONCEAL your firearm. This makes you less of a target and also keeps those around you from feeling uncomfortable.
    In Indiana at least, it is Constitutional carry. You are allowed to carry your firearm however you choose.

Here's a wonderful little thread all about OCing. You might want to peruse it a bit.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I guess I am probably in @chipbennett camp.

ETA: I believe this is the event referred too by the OP:

https://buffalonews.com/a-heavily-a...cle_d576ceaf-80d6-5a50-b62b-5015833a1d72.html

Put this event in the context of the Greenwood Park Mall event. By the time Mr. Dickens engaged there had already been multiple unmistakable gunshots and obviously killed / wounded patrons. He did not engage some LARPer who decided to show off at the mall by strutting around with a long gun.

So long as Mr. Rambo wannabe makes no threatening moves with the weapons (they better be slung or carried in a manner where a finger is NOT near a trigger) you clear the area and monitor the idiot while calling 911 to report a potentially mentally disturbed man with weapons. During the call I would note he was not threatening anyone, but he was displaying concerning behavior while obviously armed.

The situation entirely dictates response.
    1. If he appears erratic or threatening get you and yours out of Dodge while helping as many others as you safely can. Even if he appears to be simply "making a statement", I would consider the individuals judgement highly suspect and would not want me or mine around.

2. If he appears to be mentally unstable (shouting, random or inappropriate speech or gestures), see above, while taking extra precautions as may be prudent. Clearing cover garment etc.

3. If he appears to be an incipient threat, hand(s) on slung weapon, weapon at low ready, or finger on or near trigger; then it may be appropriate for you as a defender to draw your weapon to low ready while maintaining cover. Such an action would need to be taken with due regard to the defender's potential risk. (fixing Indiana's "pointing a firearm" issue could help here) The foregoing however assumes you have not been able to execute option 1 effectively.
    Personally, I would prefer open carry to be as common as the sun rising. The issue with open carry of long guns is they are unwieldly and get in the way of life. That's kind of why handguns were invented. Outside of specific threat or use cases (lawful protest, community protection from rioting, etc.) walking around with a long gun is simply difficult as a defensive firearm tool, and begs the question why?
    If he's simply walking around with a couple of slung long guns, absent anything else, then he's doing nothing unlawful and not evincing any threatening behavior. As such, while I might likely leave the area as a matter of caution-overabundance, there would be nothing to report to 911.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    I would assume he is on FBI’s radar and being carefully monitored. ;)
    "What happened? You were supposed to shoot up the grocery store today!"

"I tried but they all laughed at me and called me a fed. One asked me how the Eotech on my DDM4 could possibly be zeroed when I've clearly never fired it before. Everyone was wearing sunglasses indoors and they said it was because I glowed too bright. :("

Top Bottom