• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I have a CX4 that I love. You can fix the safety with just a little grinding on the center hump when you have the safety out. Mine is much better after a little work.

I like the Cx4 for home use because it's much shorter than other typical 16" barrel rifles. It's light and easy to handle.
    A handgun light/laser will fit the side rails up front while adding almost no weight.

Thanks for the tip on the safety, I'll be working on that tonight.

The cx4 did pretty good this weekend, it will definitely outshoot me at this point. There are a lot of things it leaves lacking when using it for a game gun though. The trigger is clean, but super heavy. I can't decide if it is worth it to spend 200 dollars on the only upgrade. I am going to order another magazine release. the plan is to drill, tap, and thread in some type of an extension. Got the idea from open guns, and being there is no rule against it... I pulled the top rail off, I'm going to cut and fit one of the rail sections I have sitting around to ride in the rear using only the back two attach points. Leaves the forward section open to get a better grip over the top. I'm debating laying out the top of the barrel shroud plastic, drilling, and beveling the holes to let some of the heat out. It was very warm after a round that had 5 strings.

I think I can pretty easily fix a few of my basic complaints with the carbine in the garage. I am much more confident in the carbine, and I think it would be a great backpacking companion. I just don't know if it will end up being a real contender in competitive shooting no matter how much I do to it. It is hard to beat the ergo and ease of control that ar15 style carbines have, especially hard to beat the mass availability of light and fast drop in triggers.

Now the question is, do I really want to go to work on this thing, or do I keep it in a form that can easily return to factory to make it easier to sell and get an mpx. Or just game it out and have fun with it, and use while waiting on a stamp for an mpx factory sbr. I got to mess with an mpx this weekend, and I think I might like a sig...

I think the cx4 is an excellent choice for a bedside carbine tho. All of the shortcomings when it comes to games are much less important when it comes to hd. Safety needs addressed, it is way to heavy. Optic rail needs replaced with the STD model that beretta sells if you have the oem rail like I do, nothing fits it, it is too small. It is a great value used. Gunshop prices seem way to spendy for what you get. Every once in a while they come up police trade in in 40 which is an excellent choice for hd. I kind of wish I would have hopped on the last batch of those.

Last edited:

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    If you attend competitions with lots of shooters and high round counts (USPSA and similar), pcc guns fail the most often and highly modified open guns are a distant second.

Not saying that you might not be able to make one reliable, but I've seen so many people have so many ftf's (multiple brands including Sig) that there is no way I choose one for home defense.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    If you attend competitions with lots of shooters and high round counts (USPSA and similar), pcc guns fail the most often and highly modified open guns are a distant second.

Not saying that you might not be able to make one reliable, but I've seen so many people have so many ftf's (multiple brands including Sig) that there is no way I choose one for home defense.

Then again I doubt you'll be running hundreds of rounds in a home defense situation.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Then again I doubt you'll be running hundreds of rounds in a home defense situation.

Agreed that if you have done due diligence with break in & cleaning & finding what ammo your gun likes then the odds are very much in your favor.

Just personally the type of gun that I see fail the most often is not what I would choose for self protection.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)

You're missing the point about likelihood of failure. ... the high round count only helps reveal the weaknesses you might otherwise not see until it's too late.
    (though a lot of the competition failures are, imo, from the hobbled together huge-round-count mags vs the gun themselves)

If I had $400 and just had to have a carbine, I'd go with a decent used 556 AR all day. The only thing it can't do better than the pistol-cal carbines is be quieter.

My 9mm carbine (colt-pattern AR) is as reliable as they come. I can make it fail if I monopod of the magazine; other than that it has failed me exactly one time in many many thousands of rounds in the ~15 years I've had it, and that was when my firing pin broke last fall in a match (lack of maintenance on my part, the FP spring should have been replaced long prior).

that said, it's always seen the same ammo (my reloads, the same load since I built the gun... I stick with what works).

Blowback pistol cal carbines can be tough to tune to work in ALL situations. They assume a certain amount of recoil transfer to have the bolt speed right. A LOT of failures in competitions come from the weird shooting positions you see... things you won't see on a static range, but you might in a real defensive situation. Does the gun work if it's not in your shoulder at all? Does it work if you barely let the gun recoil at all (eg back against a wall)? kinda like the carbine version of "limp wristing."

These are things you have to test. And you have to test them with a full mag, an empty mag, the gun freshly clean/lubed or after it's seen some rounds, etc....

2c

-rvb (dug PCC's before they were cool haha)

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    It's a no brainer for Yeager. Just a matter of time before local trainers start running classes for PCC. If you are in the training business, it's only smart to go the direction of the money.

Watch out for 300ACC pistol training classes in a couple years...

00Buck

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Near Martinsville
    A couple years ago I built a 9 mm new frontier pistol ar that accepts Glock mags. It runs awesome to this day. I had it blacked and engraved by A professional gunsmith ,Nick.

I have put more than 5k rounds of 147 handloads down range through it since. I have broke two firing pins but it is still sub MOA at 100 yards with a 9.5” barrel.

It remains locked in the safe 99% of the time while my Winchester 1897 remains loaded with 00 buck then slug for home defense.

Old Bear

Greyman Apprentice
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 19, 2016
    Newton County
    I’ve been following this thread closely since I am on a quest to find a home defense weapon for my daughter. She is going through a difficult divorce and is suddenly a single mother of two small children. For the first time in her life, she is suddenly alone in suburbia. She has grown up around firearms and currently carries a Sig938. After reading the glowing accolades of the Beretta CX4, I have been thinking that it would be something to consider.
    However, a quick INGO forum search of the Beretta CX4 lists a dozen “WTS: Beretta CX4” posts for every one post discussing the carbine. So, what gives? If the carbine is so great, why is everybody trying to sell theirs?

Last edited:

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I’ve been following this thread closely since I am on a quest to find a home defense weapon for my daughter. She is going through a difficult divorce and is suddenly a single mother of two small children. For the first time in her life, she is suddenly alone in suburbia. She has grown up around firearms and currently carries a Sig938. After reading the glowing accolades of the Beretta CX4, I have been thinking that it would be something to consider.
    However, a quick INGO forum search of the Beretta CX4 lists a dozen “WTS: Beretta CX4” posts for every one post discussing the carbine. So, what gives? If the carbine is so great, why is everybody trying to sell theirs?

I know the INGO search function is not the best, but I could only find 2 or 3 for sale in the last 6 months or so. Not that this means anything regarding how good the CX-4 is. Do a search for Glock 19 and tell me how many results you find for sale. They must suck hard. :):

I used to own a CX-4 carbine, and I never had a problem with it. I sold it a long time ago, just because I wanted something else. There was nothing wrong with it. They are generally regarded as good little carbines. If I was going to use a pistol caliber carbine for home defense, a Beretta CX-4 would be a fine choice.

Old Bear

Greyman Apprentice
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 19, 2016
    Newton County
    I know the INGO search function is not the best, but I could only find 2 or 3 for sale in the last 6 months or so. Not that this means anything regarding how good the CX-4 is. Do a search for Glock 19 and tell me how many results you find for sale. They must suck hard. :):

I used to own a CX-4 carbine, and I never had a problem with it. I sold it a long time ago, just because I wanted something else. There was nothing wrong with it. They are generally regarded as good little carbines. If I was going to use a pistol caliber carbine for home defense, a Beretta CX-4 would be a fine choice.

I didn't put any time frame on my search, so it covered many years. Good point about the Glock, I hadn't thought about it that way. Other than the trigger, I haven't seen very much negative feedback on the CX-4. I think I will see about getting one and set it up with a light and small reflex sight. If my daughter likes it, she can have it. If not, I guess I'll need to make room for it here:D. Thanks

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    There are low recoil 12 gauge shells out there. That might circumvent the whole thing.

If, however, you still think you want an inexpensive 9mm carbine, I do recommend the hi point.
    In a nutshell, they run.

Wifey used to brag about being proficient with her mother's Marlin camp rifle. Those being made of unobtainium, I decide to build her up a hi point. Found an ATI stock cheap on INGO, and later found an old beater 995 at a lgs.
    Put the two together, and presented it to her at Christmas.
    She was unimpressed, and never fired it.
    After reading this thread the other day I got it out, sighted it in at.the range, and threw it into the back of the truck. The old Oly 9 I previously had in there needs a little love anyway.

What I'm saying is that the Hi Points aren't fancy, (but the ATI stock does improve appearance 100% if that matters) but they're dependable enough for home defense or a truck gun any day of the week.

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    There are low recoil 12 gauge shells out there. That might circumvent the whole thing.

If, however, you still think you want an inexpensive 9mm carbine, I do recommend the hi point.
    In a nutshell, they run.

Wifey used to brag about being proficient with her mother's Marlin camp rifle. Those being made of unobtainium, I decide to build her up a hi point. Found an ATI stock cheap on INGO, and later found an old beater 995 at a lgs.
    Put the two together, and presented it to her at Christmas.
    She was unimpressed, and never fired it.
    After reading this thread the other day I got it out, sighted it in at.the range, and threw it into the back of the truck. The old Oly 9 I previously had in there needs a little love anyway.

What I'm saying is that the Hi Points aren't fancy, (but the ATI stock does improve appearance 100% if that matters) but they're dependable enough for home defense or a truck gun any day of the week.

Amen. My Hi-Point eats any kind of ammo even that steel cased Tula garabage. Never had a jam. No problems ever. Have a Bushnell red dot on it and it's accurate all day long. I like shooting it better than our AR-15's (plus it's less costly to shoot 9mm vs. .223).

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    This thread got me to thinking about single shot shotguns, of which I have several.
    After beating up my shoulder with the 50 caliber black powder thumpers on the 100 yard line, I went to pull targets and put a couple 25 yd shots into them with an old Stevens to check the pattern with 6 shot

Easier by far on the shoulder, and I wouldn't want to be standing any where in the pattern dispersion.
    I do believe that might not feel good.

Top Bottom