• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dss21

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    I wonder if mine was a lemon. It had multiple ftf's and left bruises on everyone who shot it. I still think the ergonomics and factory iron's are terrible, I was able to over look that because of how easy it could break down for a camp rifle. I got rid of it because of the the ftf's and the shotgun like recoil, maybe those were problems that could have been solved sending it back to keltec tho? It was a glock17 gen 2 that I bought new in summer of 17.

I have had zero issues with my Gen2 Sub2000 after roughly 300 rnds. Mine is the 9mm M&P version. The length of pull is a little short for me but I am willing to deal with it since the carbine is so light and compact. At 16 inches folded you can keep it in a small backpack and it deploys quickly. I am a average shot at best and can easily hit 10-12 inch plates at 100yrds. I also consider myself some what recoil sensitive and have no issue with the kel-tec recoil. My wife has also shot the carbine with no complaints. With the 16 inch barrel it also is not very loud which would be a benefit indoors.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I have had zero issues with my Gen2 Sub2000 after roughly 300 rnds. Mine is the 9mm M&P version. The length of pull is a little short for me but I am willing to deal with it since the carbine is so light and compact. At 16 inches folded you can keep it in a small backpack and it deploys quickly. I am a average shot at best and can easily hit 10-12 inch plates at 100yrds. I also consider myself some what recoil sensitive and have no issue with the kel-tec recoil. My wife has also shot the carbine with no complaints. With the 16 inch barrel it also is not very loud which would be a benefit indoors.

That makes me wonder. Mine was basically the exact opposite. It was a recall gun as well, I keep a log of guns I buy new. I don't have the contact info for the guy who bought it tho.

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    I would recommend the Ruger PC Carbine...quality matters in home/personal defense...as does reliability!

On a side note, my wife didn't like the 12 GA I had (she had some rotator-cuff / shoulder issues from when playing VB in college) and I looked around and found that Remington (going back a few years) about every 3 years built a batch of their 870 Tactical shotguns...in 20 GA (identical to their 12 GA, including a factory-installed extended mag tube.)

I got her one of those...changed the butt-stock to a 'youth' model (shorter LOP) + added a tritium front sight + mounted a TacStart 4-round side saddle + added a nylon sling + added a neoprene 5-shell holder on the butt-stock.

She LOVES the dad-gum thing...the milder recoil doesn't bother her shoulder...it's stoked it with #3 shot...and she's smooooooooth with it!

MY Hi-Point Carbine has had probably 1000 rounds through and no failures. I'd say that's reliable. I'd also say that's quality. Paying extra $ does not necessarily equal more quality. I'd also say that I have 20 gauges that kick more than some 12 gauges of mine. Depends on the weight / balance / type of action etc. Hell, my 16 gauge Ithaca Featherweight kicks more than any other shotgun I own.

Carmel Corn

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Carmel
    Ruger PC Carbine is solid and it is easy to swap out the Glock magwell to take 33 rounders. More comfortable to shoot than a sub 2000. The cx4 is also a good option. You can use high capacity Beretta mags and the overall length is nice for close quarters. Nice and light as well. I like both vs. the Kel-tec.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I'd recommend a beretta CX4 storm personally. What you're getting is a military grade firearm with a chrome lined hammer forged barrel and a telescoping bolt, that has just been modified to comply with US laws. Beretta 92 mags are very reliable and widely available, usually cheaper than glock magazines.

You may not think much of the firearm until you pick it up and take it apart, then you'll see it's a world of difference away from a hipoint or a keltec.

RA1LszM.jpg

cx4_brokedown1.jpg

While the ruger might be a "take down" all you have to do is pop a pin on the beretta and slide the upper and lower apart, and it'll fit in a backpack easily. It'll be dramatically shorter in OAL regardless.

A hipoint is still a hipoint. The weak point is the magazines and ridiculously limited capacity. The magazines are thin single stack magazines, very easy to bend and deform the feed lips on, which will cause endless headaches with the firearm. It's also an insanely heavy firearm for what it is. The keltec has much more going for it, but I don't have faith in keltec's manufacturing abilities regardless how innovative their products are.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Aug 4, 2017
    Fishers
    I'd recommend a beretta CX4 storm personally. What you're getting is a military grade firearm with a chrome lined hammer forged barrel and a telescoping bolt, that has just been modified to comply with US laws. Beretta 92 mags are very reliable and widely available, usually cheaper than glock magazines.

You may not think much of the firearm until you pick it up and take it apart, then you'll see it's a world of difference away from a hipoint or a keltec.

RA1LszM.jpg

cx4_brokedown1.jpg

While the ruger might be a "take down" all you have to do is pop a pin on the beretta and slide the upper and lower apart, and it'll fit in a backpack easily. It'll be dramatically shorter in OAL regardless.

I've missed out on 3 of those now and I'm probably going to overpay if I ever get one in my hands again.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I've missed out on 3 of those now and I'm probably going to overpay if I ever get one in my hands again.

Davidsons probably still has some in stock, I got it a few weeks ago. Just check out gun genie. Was around $670 new after tax, with 4 magazines.

Save up for a CZ Scorpion Evo 3 carbine. Stone reliable and the folding stock makes it much better for HD.

I would not own a scorpion evo to save my life. While some folks have them and don't have problems, IMO you're taking your life in your own hands with that firearm.

It was as crudely modified from full auto to semi-auto as possible, and as a result, it does not have any method of preventing out-of-battery discharges, which will grenade the receiver. The beretta CX4 has a trigger activated firing pin safety like a pistol does, as its modification to prevent out-of-battery discharges. Most firearms at least have a shroud on the firing pin to prevent it from firing out of battery, but CZ didn't even bother with that.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Aug 4, 2017
    Fishers
    Davidsons probably still has some in stock, I got it a few weeks ago. Just check out gun genie. Was around $670 new after tax, with 4 magazines.

I've fondled two for under $500 that looked brand new. I have this sickness where a stock gun isn't good enough so I cerakote it and change triggers on pretty much everything. If I paid $670, I'd have $1000 in it before it ever saw a range.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I've fondled two for under $500 that looked brand new. I have this sickness where a stock gun isn't good enough so I cerakote it and change triggers on pretty much everything. If I paid $670, I'd have $1000 in it before it ever saw a range.

About all you can do for the trigger is put in a steel hammer and steel trigger. Aside from being on the heavy side it's a very nice break.

Would be ridiculously easy to cerakote because of the way it's designed. I think beretta even did a run of them coated.

ekiFzU8.jpg

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Aug 4, 2017
    Fishers
    About all you can do for the trigger is put in a steel hammer and steel trigger. Aside from being on the heavy side it's a very nice break.

Would be ridiculously easy to cerakote because of the way it's designed. I think beretta even did a run of them coated.

ekiFzU8.jpg

My wallet hates you right now.

KJW

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Lamb's Crossing
    I have a Beretta CX4 in 9mm that has a sierra papa trigger in it. It dramatically improves and lightens the trigger pull. It is an ultra reliable platform and ridiculously accurate. That being said, I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of my newest gun that I suspect will supplant the CX4 - a CMMG Guard in 9mm.

Nojoy621

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 10, 2016
    Crown point
    I have a psa 9mm ar pistol with a 7 inch barrel and KAK brace. It’s takes glock magazines, and I mounted a Vortex crossfire ii on it. I’ve shot around 300 rounds so far with both Glock and ETS magazines with all sorts of ammo and have not had a single issue. It handles great and recoil is nothing.

Xrage

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2014
    NWI
    I agree with the people who are recommending the Beretta CX4. I own one in 9mm and it is stupidly accurate and smooth shooting. I look like a champion shooter every time i take it to the range. If you're looking for a pistol caliber carbine you can't go wrong with this one.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    5.56 is just as easy for females to shoot and is a far more effective round. I absolutely LOVE PCC’s, but for HD, if you’re going to have the length of a carbine you might as well have the power as well.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    5.56 is just as easy for females to shoot and is a far more effective round. I absolutely LOVE PCC’s, but for HD, if you’re going to have the length of a carbine you might as well have the power as well.

My carbines are shorter than average. I'll stick to .45 acp or 9mm for indoors. 5.56 unsuppressed in the house would set fire to the hallway.

sheepdog697

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Cedar Lake
    sig mpx is great, so is the sp5k from hk. If you want to save coin but still go with an "mp5" style platform, MKE is excellent as well. They produce their firearms with hk tooling.

brchixwing

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Nov 13, 2016
    Indianapolis
    Not sure if you're a glock man but have you considered a micro roni? These look pretty slick: https://usa.caagearup.com/caa-micro-roni

[video=youtube_share;vSNTQbH_pCA]https://youtu.be/vSNTQbH_pCA[/video]

I want to get a 9mm carbine for home defense. I currently am using a 12ga single-shot, but I want something my wife can use comfortably. (ok me too, it hurts lol) I noticed a hi-point carbine on the shelf at a sporting goods store awhile back, and I've been looking at them. The only bad thing I can find is that the screws need loctite applied so they don't come loose and that the firing pin becomes bent with "extended use". Has anyone had experience with that? I've not seen one actual review of someone having a bent firing pin, and I can't find any reviews that define what "extended use" actually means. How many rounds, how much abuse? I want something that's going to last a long time. Money is a serious issue, but if this is a good reason to avoid it I'll just save my money and get a ruger pc carbine. Thanks in advance.

Also, it's been about four years since I posted here. I forgot that was my tagline. :):

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I love how off the rails we go on forums.
    OP: I think I want a hi point (~260 dollars)
    2nd page : suggestions that are double price. (I'm guilty here)
    4th page : you need an MPX (~2000 dollars) nearly 10x the cost.

If I was working on a hi point budget, I'd strongly consider a hi point carbine for HD. There are a ton of reliability tests that prove the platform preforms, but of course there are drawbacks that spending more money can eliminate, but if spending more is not an option the hi point carbine is a good choice to be sitting next to your bed. I can't think of a better semi auto in that price range. Now double your investment and you come into a lot more options, but you don't gain much in the way of reliability, just lose some weight and gain some capacity with more easily available high capacity magazines.

Top Bottom