• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magneto

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    New Albany
    So about a month ago I purchased some ,Ammo Inc Blackline hollow points. I inspected them and nothing seemed off. Today I went to load them and once in the magazine they looked off. They were too short. I compared one to a Winchester Silvertip and you can see they are definitely shorter. It looks like a .380 to me but the ammo is marked 9mm. I just want to make sure this is safe to shoot.
    20230826_143021.jpg

Gaffer

Shhhh.......
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2016
    Southern IN
    Lengths can vary quite a bit depending on several factors. One being bullet weight.

What are the bullet weights of each of the above cartridges? (95, 115. 124 etc.)

Gaffer

Shhhh.......
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2016
    Southern IN
    Well, to me (at least looking side by side) the one on the left looks long and the one on the right looks a bit short. But normally a shorter loaded bullet is safer than a longer loaded one.

If you can check the length with a micrometer a 9mm total length, including the bullet should measure somewhere between 1.095 to 1.169. Though again a shorter length would be safer than a longer length. At least the cases look spot on!

TheGhostRider

Watching from a distance…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I would shoot it.
    My silver tips are significantly longer than my other 9mm HPs.
    I’ll see if I can post a picture in awhile comparing the variations.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Larger grain bullets have a longer length ie: 124gr and 147gr…. The 115gr will always be shorter in OAL. If it was 380 ammo the brass case would be significantly shorter.
    Absolutely the truth...with any caliber, it's the casing length that determines the caliber, for example
    9 x 17mm is a 9mm Kurtz (short) or otherwise known as a .380 acp (American name)
    9 x 19mm is a 9mm parabellum ('standard' 9mm bullet)
    9 x 23 has a 23mm casing (with bullet performance ballistics that are comparable to a .357)
    Nearly all CorBon 9mm amm has a shorter bullet (not casing) length...
    And while the CorBon's look shorter (overall length) they function without issue.
    If you have any issues, it'd probably be either a stovepipe or simply a failure to feed???
    But I'd say go ahead and shoot it, have fun, and see what happens!

Last edited:

2tonic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    N.W. Disillusionment
    Larger grain bullets, of the same composition, have a longer length ie: 124gr and 147gr…. The 115gr will always be shorter in OAL. If it was 380 ammo the brass case would be significantly shorter.
    Agree with this, but would add the modifier above. Jacketed lead, or pure lead bullets, are made heavier by adding length.
    Other compositions, such as solid copper bullets, are very long for their weight.
    A 115gr copper load is as long as a 147gr jacketed load, plus there are different required bullet shapes for each material, which will affect overall length.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    The case is the same length, that's defined by caliber. Max OAL by magazined. Min OAL by bullet and load.

Composition (what it's made of) greatly affects density. Density affects how big it is volumetrically for a given weight. A .356" 100gr lead bullet is almost round, a 100gr .356" copper bullet is going to be huuuge in comparison

Don't forget the hollow part: air reduces density too. The bigger the hole of the hollow point, the bigger the outside dimensions of the bullet for the same weight. Since it can't go much wider, it gets longer.

"shorter OAL being safer than longer" assumes the same bullet (composition, weight, design, everything). A less dense bullet (longer) is going to have a smaller combustion volume (volume inside the case behind the bullet) than a denser bullet the same OAL.

short version: if both are factory loads, I'd worry more about feeding in a given firearm than safety. Most factory loads are pretty safe.

Top Bottom