• GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I know which end of the Garand to hold but how do I know which Garand to buy?
    Are there any collector's grade left?
    Are any matching # rifles left to be bought?

At the risk of being anal about it (and I don't mean to be condescending or anything): There never was such a thing as "matching numbers" rifles...collectors go after "correct numbers" rifles. The way it was explained to me, each part of a Garand is stamped or marked with the drawing number, revision number, heat treat batch number, and so on that indicates under what specs (if you will) that part was manufactured. What you want is all those numbers and marks to all "match" what would go along with the serial number that belongs to your receiver. From what I've seen, when CMP gets those really sought after rifles, they put them up for auction and let the market decide what it's worth. I've never been to either store so somebody will correct me where I'm wrong but I'd be surprised if you walked in and found a correct rifle mixed among all the others.

laf

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 21, 2011
    Lafayette
    I know which end of the Garand to hold but how do I know which Garand to buy?
    Are there any collector's grade left?
    Are any matching # rifles left to be bought?
    There's a "numbers matching" Garand on the CMP auction page. Just under $4,400 right now. Otherwise, you're basically out of luck unless you can find one someone brought back. But because it doesn't match, doesn't mean it wasn't issued that way or is incorrect. When they all went to arsenal for rebuild they just put parts together as they were available. Your Springfield receiver might end up with an IHC trigger group and a Winchester gas plug with an H&R bolt and that's correct for that gun. Even during the war parts were shipped from one place with more of something to a place with less of that part. Bruce Canfield's book on the Garand is expensive, but covers a lot of this in very good detail.

Do the work to buy from the CMP. Pick up a $730 Garand with luck of the draw mail order or go to the North Store and pick one out in person. The guys in the store behind the counter are great to deal with and will tell you everything about that rifle in a few minutes.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I'm wondering about how this influx of "fresh" goods will affect prices. Is 99,000 a lot compared to the market of would-be buyers?

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    There's a "numbers matching" Garand on the CMP auction page. Just under $4,400 right now. Otherwise, you're basically out of luck unless you can find one someone brought back. But because it doesn't match, doesn't mean it wasn't issued that way or is incorrect. When they all went to arsenal for rebuild they just put parts together as they were available. Your Springfield receiver might end up with an IHC trigger group and a Winchester gas plug with an H&R bolt and that's correct for that gun. Even during the war parts were shipped from one place with more of something to a place with less of that part. Bruce Canfield's book on the Garand is expensive, but covers a lot of this in very good detail.

Do the work to buy from the CMP. Pick up a $730 Garand with luck of the draw mail order or go to the North Store and pick one out in person. The guys in the store behind the counter are great to deal with and will tell you everything about that rifle in a few minutes.
    Thanks for the info on this. I feel a road trip coming on.

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    I'm wondering about how this influx of "fresh" goods will affect prices. Is 99,000 a lot compared to the market of would-be buyers?

As in the past they will sell quickly and the gun show tables will have plenty of $1000+ Garands for sale. Sad but true. The last couple I picked up were about $560 shipped and they were $800+ at the shows.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    As in the past they will sell quickly and the gun show tables will have plenty of $1000+ Garands for sale. Sad but true. The last couple I picked up were about $560 shipped and they were $800+ at the shows.

I hear ya. Seriously though, didn't most of that happen before they started limiting sales? Isn't it like 1/year/person now?

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    Can you buy more than one? I have two sons and I might buy one for each of them.

Right now the rule is 8 per calendar year; but, also M1 Carbines, International Harvester M1s and Winchester M1s have an additional restriction of 1 per grade per year.

And be careful, one US Rifle CAL .30 M1 will quickly lead to another....And another

Preach! In 2009, I made my first visit to the South Store and bought a Winchester to complement the SA already in my safe. I only collect WWII and now that I have one of each WWII manufacturer, I was done. Then, they released the International Harvesters a few years ago. I thought cool, I'll get an Indiana made M1. Once I had the IHC for a year, I thought well now I need a Harrington and Richards M1 to complete the USGI "Garand Slam", I'm done. Then I started shooting KD and I thought I'd add a SA M1D. I liked shooting KD with the M1D so much that I decided I needed a back up. Si, I went to the North Store and bought a Winchester M1D. Long story short....I'm up to 9 M1s. They are all CMP rifles and all; but, two were hand picked by me at either the North Store or South Store.

Last edited:

boljr01

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    I don't believe that CMP sells 308 Garands but my father converted one of his CMP guns a couple years ago by purchasing a 308 barrel from Gunbroker.

The CMP does sell M1's w/.308 barrel and receiver block - part # = RM1308SPECIAL. The barrel is a new Criterion, good barrel, I have 2. Price is $995 + S&H. They also sell just the .308 barrel for $189 for those that wish to rebarrel an existing Garand.

Last edited:

Jim1117

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2013
    Well I think I will have you beat on the "waiting" part. I remember when a nice M1 Garand could be bought for $88.00 or so. Man oh man....lol.

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    So if I read all this correct you have to shoot in one of their clubs as well as being a member of a club? Or is the membership enough?

Nevermind. Found the Q&A section and LEO's are approved

Last edited:

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    So if I read all this correct you have to shoot in one of their clubs as well as being a member of a club? Or is the membership enough?
    Just have to show membership in an affiliated cmp org. As stated upthread just join the garand collectors association online. Meets that requirement and you get a nice quarterly magazine about garands

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

You have to be a member of an "affiliated club" - Garand Collector's Association counts - 25 bucks a year and a magazine every 3 months, and when you join there's a box you check if you want them to notify the CMP of your membership for you. If you have a LTCH, that counts as your requirement for being in a "shooting activity" or some such. Not really too bad at all. Just seems like it when you first read all the rules.

ETA Scooped by dnurk! :):

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    Ah gotcha. Thanks.

I'm in the FOP which states its an approved club as well so I think I'm qualified if i send all my information in.

But I may order that membership for the magazine alone because I have no clue about anything Garand. I really just want one for the historical value.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    This may have been mentioned already so I apologize if it has. However... another qualifying factor that can make you eligible to purchase a Garand, carbine, ammo etc... is being active duty military or military reserves. As most people in the military(active and Reserve or Guard) qualify at least once a year with a weapon, that in itself satisfies the requirement to "shoot in a sanctioned match" and being military meets the requirement to be in a affiliated club. I know this because I am Air Force Reserves and a military ID card carrying member. Showed the card at the North Store and got my Garand, ammo etc...Easy...peeze. It was a magical moment. Just passing this along.

Top Bottom