• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SirRealism

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    This is pretty interesting. It seems that 911 emergency services will soon accept text messages, videos, photos, etc.

911 Will Soon Accept Texts, Videos, Photos

It makes me wonder whether folks in Illinois and Massachusetts can sue the gov under wiretap laws... the same laws they use against citizens who record police.

Pocketman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    Town of Fishers has an iPhone app that allows people to report non-emergency complaints, including traffic related. Can even submit photos to illustrate the problem.

twostepadin

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2011
    Rockville Indiana
    machete dont text.

but no seriously, i feel like a voiced call can explain far more clearly the situation. at least in a home defense situation. they may even get to hear the baddy in the background.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Town of Fishers has an iPhone app that allows people to report non-emergency complaints, including traffic related. Can even submit photos to illustrate the problem.
    Sounds like every busybody's fantasy. Now they can rat out their neighbors for feeding the birds easier. People are more likely to be snitches if they never have to interact with a police operator. So when you're loading up your truck for a day at the range, get ready for someone to report your suspicious behavior to the police.

This kind of application of technology doesn't excite me.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I can definitely see situations where such a service would be live saving.

i.e. Hiding from an intruder but still getting the help signal out

You can do that anyway... and focus your attention on the BG again more quickly.... with a voice call.

Three, maybe four buttons: [9] [1] [1] ([SEND])

Any voice audible enough will be heard and recorded. Possibility of whispering to the operator. Nuances of tone of voice. Fewer false calls. I do not support the use of this app for LE calls, though I can see a very limited and narrow use for it for medical calls, such as when a person is unable to speak, but still has use of his/her hands. This is such a rare occurrence, though, that I can't justify the expenditure required for 911 to accept this kind of message.

A text would require you to type out your address and the problem and enter the number you were sending it to... Much more involved, and much more time before you're again focused on the BG.

:twocents:

Blessings,
    Bill

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    There was a story in our local paper about a nearby town opening an anonymous tip line. I wrote a comment to the story on their website, saying how it was great to see our government helping our neighbors become rats, which was sarcastic of course. Some dude called me an idiot.:): Saying how it would save the cops time and money! That is what really scares me about this type of thing, no matter how intrusive or unconstitutional something may be, there is always the element who think we need it.:noway:

Top Bottom