• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Plan to drive to Kentucky early Thursday morning to miss the Wednesday night parking lot. Coming back home Saturday night.

So last time I drove from Fort Wayne to Louisville I was a bit surprised at the cruising speeds on the highway, particularly on the southern section of I-65. I typically hang out in the left lane and go with the flow of traffic. The flow of traffic last month was averaging 85mph and would occasionally bump up to 90mph. The “slow” lane on the right was cruising just below 80mph. There were times I needed to move right to let someone pushing a 100mph pass.

I have to admit I was a bit surprised at the overall speed, particularly in the two lane sections. Is this the new normal?

LeftLane.png

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I typically hang out in the left lane and go with the flow of traffic.

OMG.... one of those!

The left lane is for passing.
    The right lane is for pacing

Pass and get over so I can get around and do the same.

(FWIW, generally run around 85-90 anymore.... except for when I have to wait on those using the left lane as a pacing lane instead of a passing lane)

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    I'm not making this up... I drive a little 3-cylinder Chevy Spark and it is all I can do to maintain 70mph on a highway. I recently decided to take the back roads on a short trip because I'm so freaking tired of nearly getting run over because I'm "only" going 70 in the right lane. A couple weeks later I get a ticket in the mail for going 37 in a 25!

Some sort of automated thing took a photo. I was on country roads in the middle of nowhere the whole time, I have no idea where there could have been a 25 mph zone. WTF?

ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    I cannot stand the line of 10+ cars in the left lane pacing while the right lane is wide open. If I get over like I'm supposed to then no-one lets me back in the left lane when I want to pass then I'm hung out to dry. Seems like people use to let you back over but now they just hang out bumper to bumper and won't let you in. I often wonder if they have ever thought about how much braking distance they need at 90mph.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I cannot stand the line of 10+ cars in the left lane pacing while the right lane is wide open. If I get over like I'm supposed to then no-one lets me back in the left lane when I want to pass then I'm hung out to dry. Seems like people use to let you back over but now they just hang out bumper to bumper and won't let you in. I often wonder if they have ever thought about how much braking distance they need at 90mph.
    All caused by selfish a******* or trucks that can barely pass one another…

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    OMG.... one of those!

The left lane is for passing.
    The right lane is for pacing

Pass and get over so I can get around and do the same.

(FWIW, generally run around 85-90 anymore.... except for when I have to wait on those using the left lane as a pacing lane instead of a passing lane)

There were two lanes and nearly bumper to bumper traffic. The choices were:
    • The left lane for 85-90+.
    • The right lane for 75-80 with the occasional 3 cylinder Chevy Spark going 70mph.

You are not going to get stuck behind me in the left lane because there is no place to go in front of me and I know how to fill a gap using my accelerator. When the left lane clears because of a slow passer I will speed up or get out of the way.

The only time you get stuck because of my driving is when I am in that long line on the left with no place to go and you decide to speed up the right lane and think your going to dive back into the full left lane. There will not be space to squeeze in front of me, you can stay parked behind that 70mph Chevy Spark as far as I am concerned.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Plan to drive to Kentucky early Thursday morning to miss the Wednesday night parking lot. Coming back home Saturday night.

So last time I drove from Fort Wayne to Louisville I was a bit surprised at the cruising speeds on the highway, particularly on the southern section of I-65. I typically hang out in the left lane and go with the flow of traffic. The flow of traffic last month was averaging 85mph and would occasionally bump up to 90mph. The “slow” lane on the right was cruising just below 80mph. There were times I needed to move right to let someone pushing a 100mph pass.

I have to admit I was a bit surprised at the overall speed, particularly in the two lane sections. Is this the new normal?

View attachment 168974
    Follow the advice in your own picture. GET OUT OF THE LEFT LANE UNLESS YOU ARE PASSING.

It is illegal to be in the left lane and holding up faster traffic, NO MATTER HOW FAST YOU ARE GOING.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    OK before this gets heated lets all ease off the throttles and pull off for a beer or something else refreshing.

I know the fella with the Spark. He is a good guy all around but seriously, in this day and age we all need a rig that will run with the flow of traffic and a Spark aint that rig. They were designed for short commutes and trips close to home. I see them out on the big roads and they are usually struggling to keep up. This in my mind (short of existing laws) is as dangerous as the fella close to the edge or beyond his talent running 100+ in the hammer lane. Be safe out there sparky.

I will run 85 as a general rule as that's exactly where my truck wants to run. Seriously. If I am rolling 75-ish and not bumper to bumper its not long before we are 85+ and with little adjustment to my right peddle. It just likes it there.......go figure.

And to the OP.....yes this is the new norm.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Oddly enough, I actually agree the Spark isn't the car for the highway, which was actually part of the point of my story. The irony that because I can't go 90 mph like everyone else, I made it a point to get off the highway and then got a ticket going a whopping 37mph in a speed trap.

ancjr

1 Kings 18:17-18 KJV
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County
    I've never had any luck making time going north on I65. I've made the trip from where I used to live, in rural Indiana, to Bowling Green, KY numerous times in less than 1 hour and 45 minutes. I'm not telling what my record time was.

JasonCountry

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 1, 2016
    West Lafayette
    I have noticed the speed on the section of I65 I’m used to between Remington and Lafayette varies by the time or day. I usually camp in the right lane with cruise set a little faster than the semis, usually around 75. Speeding up when i have to pass. I have noticed on Sundays it seems they’re definitely going faster on the 85+ range, in the mornings and evenings seems to be that way too. Some days can be really windy on that stretch so maybe that’s part of it.

I got my first speeding ticket this year in PA because I was pacing with traffic coming down a mountain and didn’t notice everyone backed off and I got tagged by the cop waiting at the bottom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom