• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DHolder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Mooresville - MSG2 Hub
    I've noticed no one has been putting any pasta in their cashe. I've been vacume packing all types of pasta, I'm afraid it would get mundane eating beans and rice all the time. I've been dehydrating peas, carrots, potatoes and hamburger and putting in Mason jars with oxygen absorbers.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Pasta!!! BLAH!!! :D I hate the stuff and my wife LOVES it!
    No one list is perfect for everyone. Can't recall who said it but store what you eat, eat what you store. Rice & Beans my family eats all the time so it won't be a big deal for us to eat it. Granted we add meat and flavoring to the rice so make it "taste" better.

In my next phase of 90 day stocking I need to figure out how to store meat and the other stuff we use with the rice.

Overall the OP was more of a guide to get you strated on your own 90 day storage. Since you are storing something you are ahead of most people whohave nothing stored.

in_betts

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    North of FW
    Wheat stores well, but is hard to use. It has to be ground

I would disagree with this. I eat cereal daily made from three types of wheat +rye+barley+oats+millet and I just boil it in plain water. I will grant you that not everyone LIKES this type of food, but in actuality the wheat in particular is more nutritious if eaten this way.

I would also give a +1 to the supplements stored ahead. This will be EXTRA important if the average daily diet is lacking in something at the same time we are physically and emotionally stressed more than normal.

Of course its all IMHO.

DHolder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Mooresville - MSG2 Hub
    I just wondered if Ihad missed something, I just dont see any pasta. Water not a problem, so we added some other stuff to help with vitamins. Does anyone else dehydrate and can fruits and veggies.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Thanks Dr. Falken, In playing with Joshua we determined that the bigger 250, 500 and 750 gal tanks while more economical for in the long run will not fit in the crawal space. In additon even if we could fit them a structual engineering I had over advised that the weight on the slab from all that water would have some issues with the house and he advised against it. As such for the current house I have the 60 55 gal barrels is the max I can store.

I am ignorant on this subject.

If you have a 55 gallon barrel (or a number of 55 gallon barrels) of water in your basement or property, how does it remain "fresh" until the SHTF? Do you have to just boil it or add something to it?

I guess I need a the water storage 101 class! :D

Any tips for a beginner are appreciated. Thanks!

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Miguel see the second post in this other tread for a good starting point.
    It's an ebook file.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...ness/12040-shtf_tornando_lessons_learned.html

Very short answer to you water question.
    Tap water can be store in the barrel forever provided it does not interact with the air or light. To help kill any bad stuff you can add cholire to it.
    Plus once you are ready to use it boil it before use to ensure you are ok.

Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    To me it seems like a protein or health supplement would be a great addition to food storage. Those buckets usually have 60-80 servings and have tons of nutrients. A multivitamin couldn't hurt either.

What are peoples thoughts on this?

I think that a well thought set of supplements and vitamins can do lots for making your food stores more nutritionally balanced. That way if for some reason you can't get fresh vegetables/sunlight, or whatever, you won't get a deficiency. By the way, I think Monday was international scurvy day, did we miss it?

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Another update on this project.

Cost of doing it yourself for rice = $40.73

50 Lbs Rice @ Costco = 18.79
    1 Mylar Bag = 2.50
    1 6 Gal Bucket = 7.50
    1 Lid = 2.50
    Shipping for Mylar, Bucket and Lid = 1.20
    10 Oxygen absorbers = 2.79

Buying 1 6 gal bucket with rice from http://www.beprepared.com = 55.95

so $15.22 is the labor portion of it. If you are doing just 1 bucket I would say just pay the extra $15. I did 10 buckets this past weekend so that is a $150 saving.

Pamcake

Don't Tread On Me
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Franklin
    I just wondered if Ihad missed something, I just dont see any pasta. Water not a problem, so we added some other stuff to help with vitamins. Does anyone else dehydrate and can fruits and veggies.

I can just about anything... started experimenting last yr...
    Usuals like peaches, applepie mixture, tomatoes, ham & beans, stew, etc

Unusuals like potatoes, carrots, pork tenderloin slices, pre-cooked sausage, pre-cooked hamburger, the list goes on.

Used to dry lots, but lost round A.H. dehydrator in 2004 to house fire.
    Just bought new Excalibur & did trial run of mandarin oranges & jalapeno peppers (surprisingly sweet, like the orange segment candy my grandmother always had sitting around her house)

I am looking forward to trying all kinds of things using both techniques this yr!

ANyone else process unusual items? I need suggestions!

Top Bottom