• ...and so much more!
  • jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I have created a list of 90 days of food for 4 and would like some help with the items in red as I am not sure if it’s too little/too much.

Wheat, Hard Red
    200 Lbs for 3 months for 4 people (50 bs/Person)
    Beans
    100 Lbs for 3 months for 4 people (25 Lbs/Person)
    Lentils
    Rice
    200 Lbs for 3 months for 4 people (50 Lbs/Person)
    Corn
    90-16Oz can for 3 months for 4 people (22 cans per person; 1/4 of a can per day)
    Green Beans
    90-16Oz can for 3 months for 4 people (22 cans per person; 1/4 of a can per day)
    Salt
    50 Lbs for 3 months for 4 people (12.5 Lbs/Person)
    Sugar
    120 Lbs for 3 months for 4 people (30 Lbs/Person)
    Yeast
    12 Lbs for 3 months for 4 people (1Lb/Person)
    Baking Powder
    Baking Soda
    Vegetable Shortening
    36 Lbs for 3 months for 4 people (9 Lbs/Person)
    Tang
    135 cans for 3 months for4 people (1 can = 2 gal; 33 cans per person; 3/4 gal per day)
    Powder Milk
    90 gals for 30 months for 4 people (1 Quart/Person) [FOR DRINKING]
    Evaporated Milk
    90 gals for 30 months for 4 people (1 Quart/Person) [FOR COOKING]
    Tuna Canned
    48 cans for 3 months for 4 people (1 can/Person per week)
    Chicken Canned
    Pumpkin
    Soup Mix
    Honey
    48 Lbs for 3 months for4 people (12 Lbs/Person)
    Gelatin

Water is 10 gals per person per day = 10 x 4 x 90 = 3600, which is the most I can store here. After that and I really need a well/pond but that is a limiting factor here. The idea is I will have the following to drink per day: 1 gal water, ¾ gal tang, ¼ gal milk.

Possible meals
    BREAKFAST
    Wheat pancakes& Honey
    Milk

LUNCH
    Soup
    Wheat Bread
    Sandwich once a week of tuna
    Sandwich once a week of chicken
    Tang
    Water

Dinner
    Rice & Beans or Rice & Lentils
    Wheat Biscuits
    Pumpkin Biscuits (once a week)
    Corn & Green Beans
    Tang
    Water
    Gelatin

ps.
    Peanut Butter probably should be added for PB Cookies as well but not a high priority item at least not yet.

Last edited:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    One thing I see is that many of those foods are VERY HIGH in carbohydrates. I'm keenly aware of that issue because my daughter is a type 1 insulin dependent diabetic. So my concern for you is that with type 2 diabetes being so common, if any of your family members are on the edge of being diagnosed with type 2 diabetes then you'd likely have a dietary nightmare on your hands with the food you have stored.

Please don't misunderstand, I'm NOT criticizing, I'm simply pointing out a possibility of a complication. Type 1 diabetes, like my daughter has, is pretty rare, but it certainly raises the awareness of all food related issues, and unfortunately in this nation Type 2 diabetes (10x more common than Type 1) is a real issue and likely caused by high carb diets with moderate to low activity.

As I have a particular issue concerning a family member in my home I have been wrestling with this very thing and storage. I'm working to build up more of vegetable and protein based diet, necessarily lower in carbohydrates because my daughter simply would die without high doses of insulin on a bean/rice/flour/honey/corn based diet.

Pamcake

Don't Tread On Me
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Franklin
    Gelatin

Hey, regarding the Gelatin... You have to refrigerate it for it to set up, and the actual protein content is trivial, and wouldn't you need some flavoring for it?

Gelatin isn't on our list; BUT: I am wondering what I am missing by not including it? Could any forum members tell me what they are going to use it for, so I don't overlook something.

Thanks!

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    OK, JUST MY OPINION, worth what you are paying for it, but I am NOT a believer in storing a lot of 'raw' goods like wheat for bread, etc.

Again JUST MY OPINION, but I only store what I eat and I eat from my stores. My stores are perhaps insufficient compared to a real prepper but I'm working on getting quantities up a bit.

I'd rather have processed flour in vacuum sealed containers than whole wheat. Wheat stores well, but is hard to use. It has to be ground (either in a hand mill/lots of work, or in an electric mill that requires electrical power). For that matter I'd also rather store Bisquick and various bread and cake mixes (these can be home-made pre-mixes) than raw flour, and some of each deserves to be in storage, all can be stored long periods in vacuum seal bags or bulk in vacuum sealed containers. But even those sealed containers should be used up, if you have 6 of them, you eat out of #1, refill it and put it in back, move #2 into the usable space, move up each other container sequentially, and #1 now sits where #6 used to be.

Store what you eat, eat what you store. This lets you rotate your food for best quality, and it doesn't put you in a situation where you have raw/bulk food that you have to work hard to prepare.

I'm not the guy with a pile of Mountain House deyhydrated food under the stairs for 15 years. We do dehydrate some of our garden produce and save it and use it through the year, home made sun-dried tomatoes improve tomato sauces, chili, meat stews, spaghetti and winter salads. But we replace it with the next crop of produce grown each year as opposed to packing it away for 5-10-15 years.

Again, JMO.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    OK, JUST MY OPINION, worth what you are paying for it, but I am NOT a believer in storing a lot of 'raw' goods like wheat for bread, etc.

Again JUST MY OPINION, but I only store what I eat and I eat from my stores. My stores are perhaps insufficient compared to a real prepper but I'm working on getting quantities up a bit.

I'd rather have processed flour in vacuum sealed containers than whole wheat. Wheat stores well, but is hard to use. It has to be ground (either in a hand mill/lots of work, or in an electric mill that requires electrical power). For that matter I'd also rather store Bisquick and various bread and cake mixes (these can be home-made pre-mixes) than raw flour, and some of each deserves to be in storage, all can be stored long periods in vacuum seal bags or bulk in vacuum sealed containers. But even those sealed containers should be used up, if you have 6 of them, you eat out of #1, refill it and put it in back, move #2 into the usable space, move up each other container sequentially, and #1 now sits where #6 used to be.

Store what you eat, eat what you store. This lets you rotate your food for best quality, and it doesn't put you in a situation where you have raw/bulk food that you have to work hard to prepare.

I'm not the guy with a pile of Mountain House deyhydrated food under the stairs for 15 years. We do dehydrate some of our garden produce and save it and use it through the year, home made sun-dried tomatoes improve tomato sauces, chili, meat stews, spaghetti and winter salads. But we replace it with the next crop of produce grown each year as opposed to packing it away for 5-10-15 years.

Again, JMO.

:+1:
    I also feel it's better to rotate out and keep it fresh, and my mother used to call Bisquick the wonder mix.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    :+1:
    I also feel it's better to rotate out and keep it fresh, and my mother used to call Bisquick the wonder mix.
    When you think about it, "prepping" is doing nothing more than our grandparents or great grandparents did in the early through mid years of the last century.

They gardened. They canned their food. They stored their food and ate what they stored.

They used simple methods to prepare food. They hunted and fished. They smoked some of it to preserve it. They pickled some of it to preserve it. They maybe had a couple chickens for eggs and meat. They did for themselves and were able to help others when needed.

They planted apple, pear and cherry trees instead of fruitless trees, or perhaps along with fruitless trees. They made fresh pies with that fruit and ate well. Some of it was canned, some dried into fruit leather. It gave them food every year. Drive into any suburb or development today and you will see FRUITLESS Bradford pear trees bred for colorful blooms and NO fruit. You will see all sorts of ornamental bushes and trees and very few "edible landscapes." Very different than the example our grandparents/great grandparents set for us.

My view of preparing for any sort of SHTF is really as simple as looking back to my grandparents.

EDIT: I did NOT intend to threadjack this topic and apologize for throwing this off topic!

Last edited:

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    melensdad thanks for all the info! I'm not taking any of it as critizism. I posted to get feedback (good, bad, ugly) to see if my plan is missing stuff, what I have not though of, etc.

I did not consider the diabetic issue at all. Even though I have a sister-in-law on the pump w/ insulin. In part I guess I just did not think of it. We eat a lot of beans with meat on a weekly basis along. Bean soup, Beans and pork, Tortilla stuffed beans, etc. So eating beans is natural to my family. Rice we don't eat that often. Once a week in part just because we prefer beans more. LOL!

I went the "raw" food route due to space where I'm storing all this. Not sure how much space you need to store say 200 lbs of 'flour' in a vacum pack as oppose to 200 lbs of wheat in the buckets. I never looked at vaccum pak storing.

I did look at the Garden Mountain frozen foods/dehydrated foods but the price vs doing it yourself with basic foods was too much for me (right now). The goal of this 90 day list was keep the cost low.

Sadly I'm not in an area where I can raise animals, grow food, or plant trees that give me fruit. I really want to move further south from where I am in order to have that option but alas must restore to food stockpiling for now.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Thanks, I sort of ended up hijacking the thread, glad you didnt' take offense. My daughter is on the same type of pump as your S-I-L.

If you pick up an inexpensive food dehydrator you can make your own, and store it in mason jars. If you don't have a garden, go to the farmers market and buy bulk. Also look at some veggies that store for months. Many of the root vegetables will store that long (potatoes, sweet potatoes, onions, rutabagas, parsnips, etc) and also look at fruits like apples and pears, many of the storage varieties will store for 3+ months from harvest. Pears and apples also can be "canned" or dried. Both make great "chips" if you dry them.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    My mother in law is going to show me how to can later this month. Have not look at food dehydrator yet. No offense on the tread highjacking. I'm here to learn.

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I you have the ways and means to keep everything protected, too much is not to be considered. The more the longer, or the more for more people. There will people in need you may have to help because your Heart, Mind and Soul says too.

I am going to use your list, if you don't mind.

Thank you for posting this.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I you have the ways and means to keep everything protected, too much is not to be considered. The more the longer, or the more for more people.There will people in need you may have to help because your Heart, Mind and Soul says too.

???HU???
    Are you asking if I have though of protection for my stuff?
    Protection meaning equipment to store the food long term or protection as in firearms? Answer is yes to both.

What I still need is boards/plywood/steel plates/etc.. to barricade the house windows in case of high winds during tornadoes.

I am going to use your list, if you don't mind.

Thank you for posting this.

Your welcome. Use and Edit as you see fit.

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    My mother in law is going to show me how to can later this month. Have not look at food dehydrator yet. No offense on the tread highjacking. I'm here to learn.

Get a dehydrator with a fan. We have one without a fan and it is in a box in our garage because it takes too long to dehydrate with it.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Some lessons learned so far on pakcing 90 days for worth food in no particular order.

1) When packing all the food do it in an open area which will be easy to clean afterwards as you will drop some "food" on the floor. You don't want rice/beans/sugar/salt in your storage ares.

2) You can do it by yourself but it's going to be hard. Get a 2nd pair of hands to help you out.

3) 6 gal buket holds 45 lbs BUT only if you have no metal bag and a "fine" type of food ike sugar/salt. Rice and beans take up more space and thus you are not going to get 45 lbs in the bucket.

4) A full bucket of sugar/salt is going to weight more than rice/bean. Watch your back when lifting these buckets. THEY ARE HEAVY.

5) If you buy all the food on the same day in one trip expect to get a lot of people looking at you as you check out and go to your car/van. Well at a Costco this may not look to strange but at a regular food store it is much different.

6) Use some tape and label your stuff and date it!

WinChoke

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Alexandria
    I commend your efforts.

What is your source of water to cook all these beans & rice?

They are quite water intensive in regard to cooking.

Me - I don't have access to water in those quantities.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    60 55 gal barrels*, 1 30 gal, 1 15 gal, 10 6 gal, and about 10 cases of 35 1-liter water bottles. I'm estimating 10 gals of water (drinkable + other) per person per day for 4 people for 90 days.

The original plan above caps out at 90 days. If you are going to store more than 90 days then the location I am in is not suitable since you really need a well/lake for water and need to look into farming for food as well.

Once I get this 90 day supply done only did the following this week.
    - rice
    - beans
    - sugar
    - salt

then I need a smaller "rotating" cache of say 21 days of food that is more in line with what we eat daily.

What I really need to do is MOVE south from where I am at.

* I currenlty have five 55 gal barrels and am in the process of securing 50 more within the next 3 months.

Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    You might think about breaking your water down into two catagories, potable and other. That way you might not need so many barrels, just save drinking water in the food grade containers, then get a bulk type tank, 250+ gallons, like those sold at farm stores, and set that up to harvest rainwater. The rainwater could be for bathing and other activities. That might speed up/economize your water storage plans. Just a thought, but I lived with no running water/grid electric out in the woods for about a year, and I used rainwater and a solar shower to wash up with. I stopped at parks to get drinking water, filling four 5 gallon cans to drink and make food with. When You have only so much water, you'd be surprised how you actually use it!

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Thanks Dr. Falken, In playing with Joshua we determined that the bigger 250, 500 and 750 gal tanks while more economical for in the long run will not fit in the crawal space. In additon even if we could fit them a structual engineering I had over advised that the weight on the slab from all that water would have some issues with the house and he advised against it. As such for the current house I have the 60 55 gal barrels is the max I can store.

What Joshua showed my in working this plan out is that this out at most is good for 90 days hold out. Even that is way too long becuase if we have to go 90 days on hold society may be in worse shape and so I have to worry about defending this place which I can not. Too many opening.

Thus why Joshua recommends moving further SOUTH into the country and just drving more to the train station to get to work. Thus the plan is within the next 3 years to move further south.

ps.
    Joshua by the way for all the rest of you is a refer to the WarGames movie. Which is the supercomputer that wants to win the WW3 simulation.

fg12351

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Fishers
    What about supplements and multivitamins?

To me it seems like a protein or health supplement would be a great addition to food storage. Those buckets usually have 60-80 servings and have tons of nutrients. A multivitamin couldn't hurt either.

What are peoples thoughts on this?

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    +1 for you FG12351,

That is a good idea that I have heard of before. My family takes supplements daily and we tend to have about 4 months worth in storage (we stock up when they are Buy 1 get 1 free at CVS/Walgreens and then use the double coupon deals. Thus why it slipped my mind in my lists.

Top Bottom