• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    As I mentioned in the other thread - I have lived there. Spent about a year in Mito - about six miles inland from Oarai where that whirlpool was. And another year in various other areas. Knowing how the land is laid out, the death toll will CERTAINLY be north of 10000. And if it stays below 100k it will be a testament to their early warning system, and well done civil defense.
    Agree with the other points people have made here. See the other thread for some decent discussion of the "what we could do to prepare for a similar situation here".

Take home lessons from this:
    1) The economic impacts of this will be large. Mr J's got that handled above.
    2) We should learn the lessons from this and prepare accordingly.
    3) Some will say that we should never use nuclear power - I would not be quick to rush to judgment on that. Let's let it play out and get the real facts - not in the heat of the battle.
    4) The Japanese are among the best prepared in the world to handle this. If it happened here, it would be worse. This is their Katrina + a tsunami + a nuclear emergency.
    5) From my time there, I know the people of NorthEast Japan to be very cool people, ones that I would be proud to call my friends. I pray for them over the coming days. It's going to be tough sledding.
    6) Has anyone else noticed the decided LACK of riots and looting? That is a credit to the people of that area. We could not say the same with Katrina.

There are lessons in all of this, I guess. Probably the best thing that we can do is a) do what we can to help and b) learn from the situation so that we're not doomed to repeat it. c) pray for those who are now facing the challenge of their lives.

Top Bottom