• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Reuters: Operators are preparing to release radioactive steam from the number three reactor at Fukushima No. 1 plant, after the cooling system failed there.

Yikes. Things are looking worse.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    3 US warships are off the coast now and helping with search and rescue as well as refueling of rescue copters.

There are three US warships off the Japanese coast helping with the Japanese government's search and rescue effort, US 7th Fleet spokesman Lt Anthony Falvo says. One of their tasks is to search debris washed out to sea by the tsunami.

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    As I said in other posts, we will know how screwed they are by sunday evening. If anyone cares, the clean up and rebuilding of that one plant will be at least 15 billion.

The new plant will be built to take a 10.0 instead of an 8.5.

Last count they have six reactors in trouble.

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    FYI...

I have been sending emails back and forth to a high school friend who is a scientist at Fermi Labs in Batavia. He smashes particles for a living.

His comment to me is they are screwed!

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    People are reporting that there are food shortages in Tokyo and most stores are either running low on basics or they are completely out of basics. Stores apparently aren't receiving new supplies this weekend due to the quake.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    The USNRC has said they don't foresee any dangerous levels of radiation from the reactors making it to the US. Too much distance and an entire ocean between us and them. This is a bit of good news.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    US search and rescue teams are "on the ground" in Misawa, northern Japan, the White House says. They number 144 people and 12 dogs trained to detect survivors trapped under rubble, and have 45 metric tonnes of rescue equipment with them, AFP reports.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    I heard that the quake/tsunami shifted the position of the island of Japan by as much as 8 inches. As well as slightly altering the axis of the earth.

I also learned a little bit about how the Richter scale works. The scale is not linear, it is logarithmic. In layman's terms, each whole number on the scale is ten times the size of the previous one.

Apparently the largest recorded earthquake was a 9.5 according to Wikipedia.

Also I found interesting that the Yucatan asteroid impact (possibly wiped out the dinosaurs) would have measured as a 12.5 on the Richter scale.

RichterScale.gif

Top Bottom