• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    There is no major difference between them. From a sporting perspective, they almost indistinguishable. The 7x57 was once far more popular and the 6.5x55 seems to be enjoying a small resurgence. Both offer an exceptional balance of power and recoil, while delivering excellent accuracy and terminal performance.

Why did the Swedes build their own round? Might have been some kind of conflict or licensing concern, at the time?

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    There is no major difference between them. From a sporting perspective, they almost indistinguishable. The 7x57 was once far more popular and the 6.5x55 seems to be enjoying a small resurgence. Both offer an exceptional balance of power and recoil, while delivering excellent accuracy and terminal performance.

Why did the Swedes build their own round? Might have been some kind of conflict or licensing concern, at the time?

Heh, evidently those things did happen. We were paying Germany royalties on the Mauser action for the Springfield M1903 used against them in WWI.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    One of the very positive things about the swede ammo is that it was not corrosive, so almost every swede mauser you pick up had a pretty decent barrel. The Germans had corrosive ammo. I remember sorting through barrels of old German Mausers looking for one that wasn't "too bad", but most looked like sewer pipe. There were some surplus places in the early 70's where you could get a Mauser and some junky surplus ammo as a package deal for $24.95, or 29.95 if you hand selected. Of course I was making $1.15 per hour.

The German Mausers were cheap and plentiful but I think they have pretty much been used up, it has been a long time since I have seen 7mm (or 8) Mausers being sold in surplus anywhere. One day a lot of people whill be telling about the good old days when you could get Mosin Nagants for only $150.

I really liked the 6.5 X 55 swede cartridge. I would bave built a match rifle in that caliber, but it is too long to fit a Winchester model 70 short action repeater.

jonkertb

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Putnam County
    When I had opportunity to hunt while in South Africa last summer, the friend who took me lent me his rifle that he was very proud of. It was the Swedish Mauser in 6.5. It was a sweet round, easy on the ears and shoulder while reaching out and touching a blessbok at 225 meters. Since I've been back I have been looking for one but haven't seen one come up yet. Any one know of a source?
    tom

Top Bottom