• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CrunchBunch

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Greenfield
    I was wondering if any one has had the joy of shooting a 6.5 Grendel AR?

I also would like to know what is the best 6.5 Grendel upper assembly?

I would appreciate any help i can get, Thank You!!

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    There are a few of us here with Grendels. Its a great round, lots more power than the 5.56, not much recoil and tons of accuracy.

I've got 2 different Grendel configurations, one is a 24" long range gun set up for 600+ yard shooting, the other is more of a tactical-competition weapon gone silly with yellow & black paint. Two radically different guns for two radically different types of shooting. For a competition or tactical upper I'd go with Sabre Defense and for long range I'd go with Alexander Arms. Alexander Arms also makes a basic hunting model that would be good for hunting.

My tactical/competition gun is a custom build but uses Alexander Arms and Sabre Defense components. The long range is Alexander Arms. Both brands are very high quality built to much tighter tolerances than most of the ARs on the market. I'd like to try a Les Baer Grendel someday and I'm still looking for another Grendel upper for a billet lower I have in the safe. I think a lightweight 16" Grendel would be a fun gun to have.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    I have had the Les Baer for a few years in 6.5G. Terrific round for coyote out west, very accurate platform. The gun is much more accurate than I am, still shoots less than 1/2 inch at 100 yards, under 2 inch at 300 anytime you're up for it. The gun has never had a feed problem, or other malfunction, the barrel just got scoped a month ago, still fine after 15K plus rounds. It seemed pricey at the time, but has turned into a real value.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    . . .Terrific round for coyote out west, very accurate platform. The gun is much more accurate than I am, still shoots less than 1/2 inch at 100 yards, under 2 inch at 300 anytime you're up for it. . .
    Yup, seems like the curvature of the earth at the horizon line is the biggest limiting factor to the 6.5 Grendel's inherent accuracy at long range :oldwise:

CrunchBunch

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Greenfield
    Thank you for the advice! I think I am going to build a 20" gun, to try to still capture the long distance capabilities and yet still remain somewhat mobile.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Yup, seems like the curvature of the earth at the horizon line is the biggest limiting factor to the 6.5 Grendel's inherent accuracy at long range :oldwise:

Here is something to make ya'll think. When shooting to the north (at Camp Perry) you need 1/2 minute left on just to take into account the rotation of the earth while the bullet is transiting from your muzzle to the 600 yard target. That is before you correct for wind.

When shooting to the south (Camp Atterbury) you need 1/2 minute right.

I try not to think about it. It makes my head hurt. The zeros are in my data book though for all of the rifles I shoot across the course. 223, 6mm AR, 260, 308.

Have fun.

Top Bottom