• ...and so much more!
  • DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    Hoping to make this fun and maybe get some new ideas / make sure my

My sister, who is in her 60's, recently told me she wanted to put together a bag to keep in her car in case there was an emegency and she needed to drive away from the city or her house in the country to a remote area where she has a building. She was mostly concerned with a breakdown in order or an epidemic. I told her it was great she was thinking about it, and started to put down some basic items she should keep in her car and a seperate list of items if she had to leave her car and continue on foot. She responded that she would not want more than 5 lbs. in her pack so she could move quickly and not get too tired.

So here are the perameters: put togther the best 5 lbs. of kit for a maximum of 3 days where the route has deciduous woods, mid-Atlantic east coast climate. The user is in good health, has basic bushcraft skills and is able to walk 25 miles in a normal day. Let me see if you would put the same items in I have written down.

Thanks,
    DanO

sbsg2005

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2011
    Water, food, multitool, para cord, 8x10 tarp, IFAK, six gutter spikes, and a sleeping bag. This would be a little over 5Lbs but should me manageable.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    First aid, water, lighters, a knife and the rest in ammo. Maybe a few snacks, but you can use the ammo to hunt if needed. A good 357 should allow you to hunt anything in IN. I just see the ammo as a requirement for security, and I'm thinking 5lbs wouldn't allow for much more than ammo.

3steps

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    NWI
    For First Aid everyone should have an Israeli Battle Dressing. An IBD is an Ace bandage with a big piece of absorbent gauze dressing on one end. Opposite the gauze is a plastic clip and when the dressing is applied correctly, the clip provides remarkable pressure against the wound, stopping bleeding in most cases. For difficult conditions where bleeding persists, the bandage can be manipulated to provide additional pressure and even an impromptu tourniquet as necessary.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Oatmeal raisin cookies. A couple of gallons of water. Several large plastic trash bags. Sturdy hiking boots and several pairs of socks. A good knife. A compass and map. A couple of blankets and a large floppy hat. Sunscreen and bug repellant. Bic lighters. A bottle of 3% H2O2.

Lipstick because a woman has to feel pretty.

Pictures of the grandkids.

Keys for the destination house.

Last edited:

jdwhitak

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    I'm putting together a light weight bob for myself. Here is what I have in mine.

Stainless water bottle - 1 liter
    Multi-tool
    1911 with extra mag.
    Para cord
    Caribeeners
    Emergency blanket
    Small first aid kit
    Jerky and nuts for snacks

ZS84

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Columbus
    Hoping to make this fun and maybe get some new ideas / make sure my

My sister, who is in her 60's, recently told me she wanted to put together a bag to keep in her car in case there was an emegency and she needed to drive away from the city or her house in the country to a remote area where she has a building. She was mostly concerned with a breakdown in order or an epidemic. I told her it was great she was thinking about it, and started to put down some basic items she should keep in her car and a seperate list of items if she had to leave her car and continue on foot. She responded that she would not want more than 5 lbs. in her pack so she could move quickly and not get too tired.

So here are the perameters: put togther the best 5 lbs. of kit for a maximum of 3 days where the route has deciduous woods, mid-Atlantic east coast climate. The user is in good health, has basic bushcraft skills and is able to walk 25 miles in a normal day. Let me see if you would put the same items in I have written down.

Thanks,
    DanO

Can she really walk 25 miless a day? :dunno: If this is the case how far is her Bug out location? just trying to figure out what I am putting in the bag

Bisbobble

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 15, 2012
    Carmel/Zionsville
    I see water listed often. The ability to MAKE water is much more important that carrying it. A filter and purifying tablets or other method will be much lighter than even half a gallon of water.

I would have cord, multi-tool, emergency blanket, spare socks, jacket (rain proof), water filter kit with tablets, energy bars...that's a start. 5lbs is pretty lean.

Nice exercise.

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    She is 62 and a great walker, has spent a lot of nights out "rough camping" here and in Norway. She can fish and clean game and fish. She should be able to drive to her BOL in 2-3 hours depending on where she starts. This is just in case she gets stuck somewhere along the way and has to finish on foot. The 5 Lbs limit was her idea and I think she is smart. A heavier pack will really impact her walking speed and SA.

The idea was to see if you guys come up with anything that I didn't for this kit. I know there are a lot of smart and experienced people on this site and I welcome any insights.

Last edited:

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    She is 62 and a great walker, has spent a lot of nights out "rough camping" here and in Norway. She can fish and clean game and fish. She should be able to drive to her BOL in 2-3 hours depending on where she starts. This is just in case she gets stuck somewhere along the way and hs to finish on foot. The 5 Lbs limit was her idea and I think she is smart. A heavier pack will really impact her walking speed and SA.

The idea was to see if you guys come up with anything that I didn't for this kit. I know there are a lot of smart and experienced people on this site and I welcome any insights.
    Okay then, add a few ace bandages or an ankle brace of some sort and a good walking stick.

ETA---Oh, throw in some aspirin/ibuprofen too.

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    So here is what I came up with after talking to my sister. She works out of her jeep a lot so she keeps boots, work gloves, a sleeping bag, a wool jacket, food bars and water in her car all of the time. Her pack is big enough to hold more food if she wants it, and her pack would lighten as she walked.

Weight is slightly over 7 lbs so she would have to deal with it or delete a few things.

Space Sportsman Blanket w/ hood 14 oz
    Contractor trash bag 4 oz
    1/2 USGA foam mat 9 oz
    water purification tabs 3oz
    wire saw and Helle 4" fixed blade 2.2 oz
    25' of 550 cord, 12- 8" zip ties, 12' duct tape, super glue, needle and kevlar thread, -7 oz
    Petzl Tikka headlamp & Photon LED- 3oz
    FAK/Hygeine kit with Toothbrush, floss, benadryl, alleve, Ibuprofin, bandaids, butterflies, sutures, small DIAL soap, ACE bandage, iodine and IBD - 9 oz.
    Compass, map, whistle, signal mirror - 4 oz
    extra wool sox and underwear - 4 oz.
    Bic lighter, innertube, 2 USGI heat tabs - 3 oz
    SS water bottle (full) - 24 oz
    Sharpie, pencil, 3x5 cards, mini new testament - 4 oz
    20x20" silk bandana - 1oz
    Eton Scorpion radio/light/charger - 10.8 oz
    mini sunscreen and Repel bug juice - 4 oz (Summer only)
    oatmeal, food bars, tea bags, jerky - 20 oz
    50 rounds 22 LR - 5.6 oz

Total = 113.6 oz, or 7 lbs, 1.6 oz with food and water.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Water is over 8 lbs. a gallon. I agree that a filter and tablets are smart. Maybe a bottle of water in just in case. 5 lbs. is very lean.

SteveL

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2012
    I have not read every survival thread/site out there, but is there some kind of Beacon that can be purchased and tracked my family members?

Steve L

EvilBlackGun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   1
    Apr 11, 2011
    Mid-eastern
    Survival-offensive actions.

I have a few military cam-lock belts in, on, and around my various BoBs. Every one of those belts is also a money-belt, with money inside it. Along-side the bills is stored a wire-saw. In these cases each WIRE-SAW is a GAROTE. Silent, effective, deadly. Re-consider your possible future, and have a wire-saw close at hand. EBG
    Personally I'd toss the wire saw. Never had one work for me. <snip>.

LawDog76

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Brownsburg
    I have a few military cam-lock belts in, on, and around my various BoBs. Every one of those belts is also a money-belt, with money inside it. Along-side the bills is stored a wire-saw. In these cases each WIRE-SAW is a GAROTE. Silent, effective, deadly. Re-consider your possible future, and have a wire-saw close at hand. EBG

Never looked at using a wire saw that way, maybe a piece of para cord but never a wire saw.

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    I have very good luck with my wire saw. But I bought the high quality multistrand version. It does not cut like my sven saw, but it's so light it is worth the weight.

Top Bottom