• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigiron

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    NWI hiding in the bushes
    You guys realize that any tax levied on a corporation are just passed on to the consumer through higher product prices, don't you? Taxing corporations are one of the few things the founders got wrong. Not only does the consumer pay 100% of a corporatios taxes, they also pay for the corporations costs associated with adhering to the tax code, ie accountants, tax lawyers, etc. Why not cut out the middle man?

it worked as long as those products being sold were produced in america by american workers. then the wages were ample enough to support the taxes and the first tax levies were meant to support those corporations who were producing here with people from here. now everything is produced elsewhere and imported here. those corporations are no supposed to recieve tax levies and should be paying higher taxes which was meant to stop the import goods and have them produced here. unfortunately, free trade has taken root and its all about the rich getting richer and the little guy paying for it. the founding fathers had it right, greed and corruption have tainted it to the point it is working against us now. someone has to pay and neither the greedy corporation or the slimey mooch will pony up because they are protected by a corrupt government who is the middle man. the only way to correct it is to start over!

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    it worked as long as those products being sold were produced in america by american workers. then the wages were ample enough to support the taxes and the first tax levies were meant to support those corporations who were producing here with people from here. now everything is produced elsewhere and imported here. those corporations are no supposed to recieve tax levies and should be paying higher taxes which was meant to stop the import goods and have them produced here. unfortunately, free trade has taken root and its all about the rich getting richer and the little guy paying for it. the founding fathers had it right, greed and corruption have tainted it to the point it is working against us now. someone has to pay and neither the greedy corporation or the slimey mooch will pony up because they are protected by a corrupt government who is the middle man. the only way to correct it is to start over!

Are you saying you're in favor of protectionism?

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008

Did you ever stop to think that high taxes on corporations helped drive our jobs out of country?

F it, who is John Galt?

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    You guys realize that any tax levied on a corporation are just passed on to the consumer through higher product prices, don't you? Taxing corporations are one of the few things the founders got wrong. Not only does the consumer pay 100% of a corporatios taxes, they also pay for the corporations costs associated with adhering to the tax code, ie accountants, tax lawyers, etc. Why not cut out the middle man?
    And that's exactly how the VAT will work.
    The goods will be taxed at the manufacturing/distribution source and then passed on to us as higher operating costs by the companies.
    Then we will pay the tax again when we purchase the goods at retail.
    We already have VAT taxes on Alcohol, Tobacco, FIREARMS & AMMO, Gasoline, and other goods.
    They're called Federal Excise Taxes.
    Same thing!! Different name!
    It's tax, on tax, on tax, ad nauseum.
    Mike

actop19

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    I would like to comment on this subject, but doing so would probably get me banned from this sight, as I feel very strongly on this issue, and what I would like to say could possibly violate the rule on inciting civil war.

wally05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    I'm getting a good chunk of cash back... but I also just graduated college and paid into the system quite a bit last year... about $3,000... so, I don't mind getting it back. :)

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    So, if the money doesn't come from taxes, where does it come from?

Think of taxes this way. It's like being able to buy a product directly from the factory or having the factory selling to a wholesaler who in turn sells it to a dealer who in turn sells it to the individual consumer. The wholesaler and dealer have overhead costs plus they have to turn a profit. A factory producers a widget and sells it to the wholesaler for $1. In order to pay for overhead and make a profit, the wholesaler sells it to the dealer for $1.25. In order for the dealer to cover overhead and make a profit, they sell it to the customer for $1.50. You just paid a 50% markup to cover for 2 entities that produced nothing. The factory could sell it to you directly for $1.10 and they profit more and you save money.

By corporations having to pay taxes, they have to hire accountants, bookkeepers, etc that do nothing to produce the product. They are purely overhead that gets passed on to the customer. If a corporation has to pay $.10 in tax for every widget going out the door, $.10 gets added to sale price of the widget. But it doesn't end there. It costs the corporation $.02 per widget to pay the accountants, bookkeepers, etc so they charge you $.12 more when you buy the widget. In reality, that $.10 tax costs the consumer $.12 whereas if the consumer paid the tax up front himself, he'll save $.02 and the government still gets their $.10.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    don't overlook the fact that the corporations are supposed to be the ones taxed by the guberment and individuals are left to the taxed by the state. its unconstitutional for the federal government to tax the working mans income. the reason our economy is so upside-down at this point is the coroporations who are supposed to supply the tax structure to the governemnt are taking tax dollars to off-set poor business decisions. meanwhile, the working man is getting taxed higher and higher to make up for what the coroporations are not supplying and also taking away. having a stake in this country goes beyond having to pay taxes. if this were so i would own a little bit of GM and should receive a kick-back for their profits, but thats not gonna happen. so, in the mean time take what you can get while the gettings good. before long the governement will start to close the legal "loopholes" that allow us to have exemptions like children and work. instead of the government going after the working man for money wouldn't it make more sense to tax the corporations and then provide incentives for them to operate in the US with American workers. of course that means cutting down the welfare system whos services have gotten exploited.

true and so goes the constitution. individual income was not meant to be taxed. consumable goods are meant to be taxed by the state. the government was essentially supposed to make its buck off of import and export goods paid by corporations and then tax the corporations on the capital funds from the sale to the public. spending is so out of hand that the government cannot tax those corportations becasue of all the tax levies in place and the free trade garbage. so, joe public is left to flip the bill so every congressman or woman is guaranteed to make at least 200,000 in a fiscal year and have 18 weeks of vacation with fee travel. it'll never change so i have no hard feelings in taking back every red cent i have given to the gooberment and then if i can squeeze a little more out in the end, its party time baby! i don't feel those that don't put into the system should have the same luxuries though. the only way to solve that problem is abolish welfare the way we know it and that would signal the appocolypse!

Where are you getting all this "supposed to" stuff? None of what you're saying is in the Constitution as you imply. Back up what you're asserting as an absolute.

Get this through your head:

It is impossible to tax a business. Let me say it again: It is impossible to tax a business.

A business of any size MUST recover 100% of its expenses. Taxes are an expense. Every single dollar a business spends, even on taxes, must be paid by the final consumer. So if you tax Wal Mart, you're really taxing the single mom who buys her diapers there. If you tax the oil companies, you're really taxing the little old lady who only drives her car to church on Sundays.

You can't tax business. You can't tax business. It's IMPOSSIBLE.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Where are you getting all this "supposed to" stuff? None of what you're saying is in the Constitution as you imply. Back up what you're asserting as an absolute.

It is impossible to tax a business. Let me say it again: It is impossible to tax a business.

A business of any size MUST recover 100% of its expenses. Taxes are an expense. Every single dollar a business spends, even on taxes, must be paid by the final consumer. So if you tax Wal Mart, you're really taxing the single mom who buys her diapers there. If you tax the oil companies, you're really taxing the little old lady who only drives her car to church on Sundays.

If that were true, business would not spend millions of dollars a year trying to avoid taxes and trying to convince you they could not be taxed. Let me say this again since it seems to be what you think makes something true, BUSINESS WOULDN'T SPEND MILLIONS EVERY YEAR TRYING TO BEND TAX RULES IF THEY COULD NOT BE TAXED.

Taxes and or costs are not what determines the price you pay for any thing. The cost the public is willing to pay is what set's the price a business charges.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    If that were true, business would not spend millions of dollars a year trying to avoid taxes and trying to convince you they could not be taxed. Let me say this again since it seems to be what you think makes something true, BUSINESS WOULDN'T SPEND MILLIONS EVERY YEAR TRYING TO BEND TAX RULES IF THEY COULD NOT BE TAXED.

Taxes and or costs are not what determines the price you pay for any thing. The cost the public is willing to pay is what set's the price a business charges.

Ok, I'll bite. Prices are set by what customers are willing to pay. We can all determine we are only willing to pay $1 for a new escalade. Now go find me a corporation that can produce it for $1.

Corporations have a checkbook just like you and I. Goes INS have to be equal to or gereater than goes outs or they won't remain in business very long. To produce a widget, you have to tally up all costs associated with producing it. The electricity required to run the machinery. The water and sewage bills so your employees can get paid to take a dump. The mortgage on the factory property. Liability insurance for when a customer wants to play the legal lotto. Labor costs. Benefit costs for your employees. And GASP! Taxes! Yes, they are an expense just like the other expenses before this one. You add up the total costs it takes to produce a widget and determine if there is a market that is willing to pay all of those costs plus a few aheckles so you can earn a profit. A corporation is not in business to produce a product and sell it to you at their cost.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN

The reason that they spend all of that money is to keep from being priced out of the market by the taxes imposed.
    Taxes and costs are the PRIMARY determining factor in the cost structure of manufactured goods and services.
    Mike

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma

If you believe this, then it should be OK with you to impose a 1000% tax on every firearm produced by any company, so long as it's paid by the company, because that means the price of guns won't go up.

Hey, it's win-win. Let's call Chuckie Schumer together and see if we can convince him it's a good idea.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I think the problem that a lot of "tax the corporations" types have is this:

Company A posts a $1 billion profit for a given year, having sold a billion widgets with a profit of $1 per widget. Without regard for any of the operating costs or overhead, tax guy says to himself, "clearly we can tax another 90 cents per widget, still leaving $100 million on the table for profits. That should be enough for anyone."

The problem is that it costs perhaps $3 billion in overhead to make that $1 billion in profit, a margin of 25%. Dropping that to $100 million lowers the margin to 2.5%, and at that point any good investor would close the business, lay off all the workers, and put the money into mutual funds or something. Or, if the option exists, the business managers would find some place else to produce their widgets, somewhere that reduces the $3 billion in overhead to a more manageable 2.5, for example. Sure, that means all the current workers are out of a job, but at least the company is paying taxes, right?

The point here is that what we call "profits" colloquially is not "profits" economically. Profit has come to mean income minus outflow, but economic profits are revenue minus outflow minus the prevailing rate of interest, because that is the most stable indicator of the opportunity cost of simply being in business.

bigiron

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    NWI hiding in the bushes

dross, you sir are wrong. heres why:U.S. Treasury - Fact Sheet on the History of the U.S. Tax System

its a long read but you'll find it enlightening. read the section titled the 16th amendment. bear in mind that this was written by the treasury so it will leave out some important fact but a 2 second google search will do you some good.:dunno:

Raye7r

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2009
    Parke County
    They kept 8200 of our tax dollars this year. But I know where it went. My worthless son who works when he wants to, has 3 kids and a live in who does nothing, made 14k this year, but got back 8.5k. And he thinks they owe it to him. Where the h*** did we go wrong??????? His mom and I ALWAYS worked.

XMil

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Columbus
    dross, you sir are wrong. heres why:U.S. Treasury - Fact Sheet on the History of the U.S. Tax System

its a long read but you'll find it enlightening. read the section titled the 16th amendment. bear in mind that this was written by the treasury so it will leave out some important fact but a 2 second google search will do you some good.:dunno:

Nothing in that article contradicts anything dross said. It doesn't matter who hands the check to the tax man, the consumer is the one that ultimately pays it.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I know what you mean. I've got family that does that and it makes me sick. A family member was trying to get me to file taxes this year even though I didn't pay any in, because I am eligible for some of the big tax breaks. So basically get 5,000+ for not paying taxes. Which is horse crap.
    Brother, I am only going to say this once and you need to focus and turn off all the filters in your head before I do so I am going to put a pause here...........................

YOU need to file your taxes ASAP.

If you don't, at some time in the future you and your family will be introduced to a thing called "Estimated Taxes" from an entitiy called IDOR..........Indiana Department of Revenue. You will go from being a disabled Vet who can get a refund now to a disabled vet who has to prove he does not owe taxes and will never see any refund.

I am givng you real advice here, if you need to hear horror stories, PM and we can talk. I can't post any here.

I am the Son of a Disabled Vet. He never admitted he was, to look at him you would not have known it but the Govt said he was and he was.

File, file now, you can ammend it later but file even if you made zero, file. Your "comment call it even" in another post, simply put it is not your call to make. Please don't ignore this advice.

PM sent. Others here should make sure he sees this.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom