• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    It's in my 6 year plan to be back working as long as the Doc's OK it. :rockwoot:

God bless you! And thank you for your service! I was in but was fortunate not to have to go to combat. If the government messes you up then we have an obligation to make you as whole as we possibly can and provide for you when you can't be made whole again.

XMil

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Columbus
    God bless you! And thank you for your service! I was in but was fortunate not to have to go to combat. If the government messes you up then we have an obligation to make you as whole as we possibly can and provide for you when you can't be made whole again.

Ditto to that. No wounded soldier should ever left in need. As long as they live.:patriot:

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    first of all, look at the context of the post. He is replying to a disabled vet who feels guilty about filing for eitc when he has paid $0 in federal income taxes. Notice he doesn't feel entitled to it. If you left part of yourself on the battlefield, I think most of us would be more than happy to pay for your eitc. I'm sure combatvet would be out in the workforce earning his own keep had he not been wounded serving us.

When do you leave for basic training.

So people who have paid into the system all their life and have even owed money don't deserve a break? How does that work? Also, if it's there, why not use it? As long as you're not milking the system and not doing it every year or whatever, I don't see a single problem with it. Now, for some dead beat crack head that's never paid into the system that's a different story. However, you seem to think it's not ok for ANYONE EVER to do it. But yet you make an exception here. So that makes you no more a hypocrite than I.

Oh, as far as basic, I'm hoping soon. It depends on what the recruiter says this week. I'm just waiting on word if I can enlist or not.

Ditto to that. No wounded soldier should ever left in need. As long as they live.:patriot:

Amen to that. :patriot:

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    So people who have paid into the system all their life and have even owed money don't deserve a break? How does that work? Also, if it's there, why not use it? As long as you're not milking the system and not doing it every year or whatever, I don't see a single problem with it. Now, for some dead beat crack head that's never paid into the system that's a different story. However, you seem to think it's not ok for ANYONE EVER to do it. But yet you make an exception here. So that makes you no more a hypocrite than I.

Oh, as far as basic, I'm hoping soon. It depends on what the recruiter says this week. I'm just waiting on word if I can enlist or not.

Amen to that. :patriot:

I've been a taxpayer for 17 years now and never once received eitc. I usually average $1000-1500 every year in net federal income taxes. For 08's taxes, I paid $8000 and sent in an estimated $4000 for capital gains taxes this year.

How many years have you paid a net positive vs getting eitc back? The difference is that in one case, a wounded veteran is unable to work. In the other case, one is unable to find work due to personal choices. Seeing a difference there does not make me a hypocrit. My parents paid $45,000 in state and federal income taxes for 08. What prize do I win?

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I've been a taxpayer for 17 years now and never once received eitc.

Good for you. Don't be bitter at those that can just because you can't. And if you can then it's your own fault for not.

I'm not arguing with you about this tonight. If I want to argue with a hateful bitter old man I'll call up one of my uncles. At least he's got a sense of humor.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I won't take eitc because I know that it is no different than reaching into another mans pocket and taking his money. Getting back MORE than you pay is not a tax REFUND.

Johnny C

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Solsberry , In
    A little late posting here, but I say...Even if it sickens you...Take anything you can get from the Govt, and invest the $ in something positive, like The libertarian movement or anything that works against what sickens you.

That would really be slapping it to them!:rockwoot:

smoking357

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Mindin' My Own Business
    Those were 2006 numbers. My understanding is that under the recent laws the number will go over 50%.

A scarier number to me is that the top 1% pays 40% of the income taxes. Think of it. Full half the country pays none, and 1% pays almost half. Half the people don't care about taxes because they don't pay any, and another solid percentage pays a reasonable amount. Who cares about the few who foot most of the bill? In fact, I think they're commonly known as "those who don't pay their fair share."

Um, friend, income taxes don't go toward operating expenditures. Income taxes are applied to debt service.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Um, friend, income taxes don't go toward operating expenditures. Income taxes are applied to debt service.

I'm not sure what point you're making.

In each year's budget the government allocates an amount. That amount includes the year's operating expenses, which includes actual operating expenses, as well as interest on the debt.

Each year we spend more than we take in. This amount, called the deficit, adds to the total debt.

What does this have to do with the fairness of half the country paying nothing, 1% of the country paying 40% of collected revenues, and 10% of the country paying 70%?

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I'm not sure what point you're making.

In each year's budget the government allocates an amount. That amount includes the year's operating expenses, which includes actual operating expenses, as well as interest on the debt.

Each year we spend more than we take in. This amount, called the deficit, adds to the total debt.

What does this have to do with the fairness of half the country paying nothing, 1% of the country paying 40% of collected revenues, and 10% of the country paying 70%?

The point being made is this: all government services and projects are paid for with an interest-only home equity loan against the country. Income taxes go to make minimum interest payments on that loan.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    The point being made is this: all government services and projects are paid for with an interest-only home equity loan against the country. Income taxes go to make minimum interest payments on that loan.

Okay, fine. That makes a point, but it doesn't address the quoted point. Regardless of where the money goes, the distribution of what is being paid in is unfair, and damaging in the short and long term.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    I just got done sending $2,600 to the IRS. I did this last year as well. We made about $70K this year. Of that, $6,000 was over-time for me, $2,000 was specialty pay for me. As it stands, I am done working or doing anything extra anymore. I recently discovered that this year is the last year for the Bush tax cuts, at least that portion which affects capital gains taxes. Since I must stay within the lowest two tax brackets to pay no capital gains taxes, I decided to give up some specialty work which accounted for $1,000 of my extra pay. I am also giving up most of my over-time. I did the math and figured that it only really pays, at least at tax time, to only work about 2.5 hours of OT per week. While some will say "Have them take more out of your paycheck," I will take a pass. The entire reason of working OT in six to eight hour blocks is for the larger paychecks you get every so often.

Well, it now pays to do less in this country. I believe that the Bush tax cuts totally expire after this year. Everyone is going to be getting a tax increase from what I can tell. Right now, if I make any extra, the government is taking around 30-33% because we don't have kids and our mortgage interest isn't enough to give us any write-offs. As such, I don't do any massive donations to charity, because I can't write that off since we take the standard deduction.

For state, I got a whopping $22 back. I almost donated it to that wildlife fund, but was so furious at the feds needing an additional $2,600 from me, I said "No. I am going to get that $22 back in my pocket and use it to go out to eat on with the wife!"

Talk about a screwed up country. You are willing to work harder (maybe), or at least work more, do extra, and you get penalized even more for it.

Top Bottom