• Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    There was a 625 Performance Center model that went for under $900 in a local auction recently. I almost bid on it, but I'm not into dealing with moon clips. If it had been .45 Colt I'd have probably made unwise decisions.

Why don't you like moon clips? I've never dealt with them, but suspect they'd be easier to deal with than speed loaders, which I've used in .38.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    Why don't you like moon clips? I've never dealt with them, but suspect they'd be easier to deal with than speed loaders, which I've used in .38.
    They're fine for the range...they are really quick to load and unload, even faster than speedloaders, and those short semi-auto cartridges eject really cleanly. They're awkward for carry, though, and can get bent unless you're willing to wear special pouches. They're also kind of a pain to load and unload the rounds from them if you don't have the special tool.

The extractor groove on a lot of semi-auto ammo isn't always as uniform between brands/manufacturers as it should be. This can cause headspace issues with moon clips, resulting in light strikes. A buddy used to have one of those S&W airweights chambered in .40 S&W (the model number escapes me right now), and had to be very picky about what brands of ammo he used in it...IIRC he actually sourced a couple of different types of moon clips to deal with different groove widths.

Ultimately I just find it more convenient to stick with rimmed cases in revolvers. It's less finicky, more reliable, and if I'm carrying a reload I can do it in a flat speed strip instead of a bulky speed loader or moon clip. If I was a competitor where my goal was fast reloads in a controlled range environment, I'd probably want the moon clips.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    If you can find one I have a Ruger P90DC SS that is rock solid reliable. Bought it for BYOG deployments in the military.
    Another consideration might be the Ruger P-97...takes the same magazine as the P-90, but is in a polymer frame thus, lighter, and is also made of the toughest polymer on the market! Accurate as heck too! It's similar in size to the SIG P-220.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    Forgive me for adding. I love my 625 but moon clip guns can be challenging to carry. Along with what 92 states For me the biggest downside is with full moon which is what most use you have to load or unload all 6 Hal moon or 2 are just too cumbersome to hassle with

Also the 625 is a N frame so the cylnder you have to get around.

All that said I feel the 45 is the best wheelgun for moon clips the issue with 38 and 357 is brass dependent they wiggle more along with longer and smaller round going into a smaller hole not as fast as a speedloader (unless you have specific brass) so there’s that.

led4thehed2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Oct 16, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I had a Springfield 4" service model XD in .45 ACP years ago that was totally reliable. 13 + 1 capacity - I think it was just over 40 ounces fully loaded. I enjoyed it.

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Recommendations for a 45ACP double action full size handgun. I want to buy a 45acp handgun but want a double action. I like 1911's but prefer a double action. Any recommendations?
    Only DA 45 autos I have experience with are a German Sig P220 , a German frame P220 Carry and original year Ruger P90 . Still own the P220 Carry and the Ruger P90.

The original grips with both P220s had about as much grip texture as a bowling ball , replaced the original P220 grips with Hogues and the P220 Carry with the E2 grip. For a single stack the P220 has a an overly large grip , the double stack P226 9mm fit me far better. But I still managed to shoot the P220s well. The original German P220 was the most accurate service style pistol I have ever owned.

The P90 is a quite a good shooter with very smooth DA and even pretty good in SA. The pistol is also quite an accurate shooter , as good or maybe better the the P220 Carry.

Guy at the range years ago let me shoot his HK USP 45 auto as he said it was not shooting well for him. I shot it and it shot very well for me! It is the one 45 I probably should have picked up some time ago..

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    I think there was a Smith and Wesson 645. The 645 being DA and the 745 being SA.
    I have a 645 along with a 4506 and 4513TSW and they are all DA 1st round then SA. They all have excellent triggers and will feed empty brass. The 645 is a beast with a stainless frame making it heavy enough to make a good club if you run out of ammo. All three of these will be with me until I am dead. Jim.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    CZ 97 or Tanfoglio Witness (CZ Clone) both are out of production but can be found easily. Tamfoglio has a new line up of pistols similar to the Witness that have a good rep. I find I shoot my 97 more than my 1911
    Another vote for the Tanfoglio Witness.
    I picked up a .45acp version in the "Wonder finish" at an estate auction years ago.
    The auctioneer only identified it as a Tanfoglio and never mentioned Witness.
    Many people at the auction, but less than a handful bid on the Witness.
    I walked out the door with it for $190.
    It functions well, but I think someone has changed the rear sights on it and I need to replace them.

Dante1983

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2021
    If you can find one I have a Ruger P90DC SS that is rock solid reliable. Bought it for BYOG deployments in the military.
    I didn’t know what that was so I looked it up. Seems pretty reasonable too. At least on this site

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Okay its not what the OP wants. But... I am still recommending one of these, well any model of these.

Dammit,, we used to be a proper country, these were available in hardware stores..

Damn the feds!

Top Bottom