• ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    Haven't been able to shoot mine yet....darn dies are fighting me....

Marty Ter Weeme is selling a custom built upper that a customer backed out on over on AR15.com, fyi.

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    When you reload, make sure you use a lot of lube on the neck. Otherwise, it'd be b1tch to remove it. I usually use a paper towel to wipe them clean afterward.

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    Im hoping to go the AR route for deer hunting (and my Ruger Redhawk too) and dropping the slug guns, using mloaders for special hunts when needed.

I think that I can take advantage of the improved accuracy and range on a few farms that I hunt.....

mkbar80

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    In case some people aren't aware (and haven't put 2 and 2 together from the above posts) the .458 Socom round is a legal hunting round in Indiana.

from DNR Site:

Rifles with pistol cartridges

Rifles must fire a cartridge with a bullet of .357-inch diameter or larger; have a minimum case length of 1.16 inches; and have a maximum case length of 1.625 inches.
    [FONT=Wingdings,Wingdings][FONT=Wingdings,Wingdings]
    [/FONT]​
    [/FONT]These rifle cartridges can be used only during the deer firearms season.

Some cartridges that are legal include the following:
    .357 Magnum
    .38-40 Winchester
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Special
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Special
    .44-40 Winchester
    .45 Colt
    .454 Casull
    .458 SOCOM
    .480 Ruger
    .475 Linebaugh
    .50 Action Express
    .500 S&W
    Some illegal rifle cartridges for deer hunting are the .30-30 Winchester, .444 Marlin and .45-70 Govt.

So if you like the idea of hunting deer in Indiana with an AR pattern rifle...the 458 SOCOM is a good choice. See Rock River Arms.

davman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2010
    A buddy of mine has one and told me he is having a hard time finding ammo. I don't think he hand loads at all and three dollars a round seems high for anything other than hunting. Does anyone know the original intent of the .458 round? Just curious..

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    A buddy of mine has one and told me he is having a hard time finding ammo. I don't think he hand loads at all and three dollars a round seems high for anything other than hunting. Does anyone know the original intent of the .458 round? Just curious..

It is my understanding that it was developed for use with a 300+ grain bullet which gave you a subsonic round out of an AR with plenty of oomph. The reason was so you could effectively suppress it for special ops stuff.

Best,

Joe

Top Bottom