• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Victory106

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2021
    Fort Wayne
    I'm looking for a rifle to buy my dad for Christmas. He's used a 12 gauge shotgun to hunt with since I was probably 6 years old. I asked if he was hunting this year and he said that he doesn't want to use his shotgun anymore and didn't care if he went or not. I took him to the range when I bought my 6.5 Creedmoor and he enjoyed shooting it, so I asked him if he wanted me to find him one. He said he would like to have a .44 magnum to hunt with. So I started looking because he won't buy one for himself. I also ran across the .350 legend as a possible. What are your thoughts on the two?? What would be a better gun for him?

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    I have both, but my .44 is a revolver. Where I hunt any given day dictates what I use. In thicker areas where shots are shorter, my Ruger Super Blackhawk in .44 is a good choice for ease of maneuverability. In more open woods and field edges, I like my .350. I personally prefer the .350, but your Dad may be more comfortable with a .44 because it is probably more familiar to him. Ammo cost is also a factor as both cost about the same now. .350 Legend hunting ammo $35-$40 per box of 20 as is the .44 Mag. Range ammo for the .44 is a little cheaper because you can get that in a box of 50. That said, you still have to be able to find it.
    I see more .350 Legend rifles on the shelves than .44 Mag rifles, so it may come down to what's available. Did he say why he was not wanting to use his 12 gauge anymore? Maybe a 20 gauge will work for him if recoil and muzzle blast are a factor, and you cannot find a .44 or a .350 and the ammo.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I would recommend staying with an 1892 clone like a Rossi if you go Winchester lever action or clone. There are a fair number of actual Winchester 1894s around in 44 but a high percentage of them seem to require sorting out for feed issues. The Rossis come up for sale regularly, some new old stock, and have a reasonable (by today's standards) price point. It is more difficult/more expensive to get one without the horrid safety mechanisms if your Dad is a traditionalist like I am

The Winnies and clones are considerably lighter than Henrys or Marlins. If part of the reason your Dad no longer enjoys hunting with the gauge is declining physicality, lower weight is a trade-off between ease of carry and felt recoil, but you carry the gun all day and fire it probably once or twice. Were it me, I would go with ease of carry

You might need to get him directly involved in making the choice to get him something he would really want and enjoy

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    88   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    My vote would be for the .44 ,mag. I'm an old dad, and don't much enjoy shooting my shotgun, but I dearly love my .44 mag levergun. Being an old guy, I'm also not much into new cartridges like 6.5 Creedmoor, and .350 Legend.

If he's an old boomer fud like the rest of us old guys (and he did hint at the .44 mag) don't go with the .350 Legend just because you will inherit it one day... lol.

BTW, thanks for thinking of the old fart, and getting him something for Christmas. I just lost my dad in July. (On my birthday no less. He would have been 90 on Christmas eve. ) Go hunting with him while you can.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    IMO, the .350 is a more effective round for deer with less recoil but if he wants a .44 then get him a .44.
    Tend to agree. The .350 hits above 762x39 but below 30-30 in terms of ft pounds. Never shot one, but I have shot a rossi 44 carbine that kicks just about as hard as any rifle I've ever shot.

Last edited:

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    The Henry's and Marlins are heavier than the Rossi, but I would consider all of them.
    I love the Henry, but the price isn't cheap.
    Marlin's will be spendy for one wearing the JM stamp, but the Remington made Marlins seem to be a crap shoot.
    The new Ruger made Marlins might be the bees-knees, but they're probably unobtainable right now.ln.

I would go for the .44mag, because that was his choice.
    The .44mag will be good out to 150 yards or more, which is roughly the same effective range of the 12ga he's used to using.

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    I'm in the same predicament. I have been looking for a 44 CVA Scout since last firearms season for my dad. One shop has had some ordered since last fall. My dad's 12 ga barrel blew out. He doesn't have a desire for another shotgun. I suggested the 44. I have one in the Handi-Rifle and love it. I have considered going with a 350 because they have been more available. I am hesitant because I already load the 44 so ammo isn't a concern. I have extra guns that my dad can borrow this season. I just hope I can find one before next season.

Victory106

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2021
    Fort Wayne
    I have both, but my .44 is a revolver. Where I hunt any given day dictates what I use. In thicker areas where shots are shorter, my Ruger Super Blackhawk in .44 is a good choice for ease of maneuverability. In more open woods and field edges, I like my .350. I personally prefer the .350, but your Dad may be more comfortable with a .44 because it is probably more familiar to him. Ammo cost is also a factor as both cost about the same now. .350 Legend hunting ammo $35-$40 per box of 20 as is the .44 Mag. Range ammo for the .44 is a little cheaper because you can get that in a box of 50. That said, you still have to be able to find it.
    I see more .350 Legend rifles on the shelves than .44 Mag rifles, so it may come down to what's available. Did he say why he was not wanting to use his 12 gauge anymore? Maybe a 20 gauge will work for him if recoil and muzzle blast are a factor, and you cannot find a .44 or a .350 and the ammo.
    He has 20 gauge and 12 gauge shotguns at the house, but only ever uses the 12 gauge. It kicks like a mule and he flinches extremely bad. My dad definitely isn't a gun collector of any sort, and he only shoots when he hunts.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    The Henry's and Marlins are heavier than the Rossi, but I would consider all of them.
    I love the Henry, but the price isn't cheap.
    Marlin's will be spendy for one wearing the JM stamp, but the Remington made Marlins seem to be a crap shoot.
    The new Ruger made Marlins might be the bees-knees, but they're probably unobtainable right now.ln.

I would go for the .44mag, because that was his choice.
    The .44mag will be good out to 150 yards or more, which is roughly the same effective range of the 12ga he's used to using.
    To each their own but I would much rather take a chance on a Remington produced Marlin in .44 mag than paying the premium for the JM stamp. I've seen and heard way too many stories of oversized bores and accuracy issues with the later JM stamped .44 mags.

Victory106

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2021
    Fort Wayne
    My vote would be for the .44 ,mag. I'm an old dad, and don't much enjoy shooting my shotgun, but I dearly love my .44 mag levergun. Being an old guy, I'm also not much into new cartridges like 6.5 Creedmoor, and .350 Legend.

If he's an old boomer fud like the rest of us old guys (and he did hint at the .44 mag) don't go with the .350 Legend just because you will inherit it one day... lol.

BTW, thanks for thinking of the old fart, and getting him something for Christmas. I just lost my dad in July. (On my birthday no less. He would have been 90 on Christmas eve. ) Go hunting with him while you can.
    I agree! My older brother is the one who thought about the .350 Legend. I'm still on board with the 44.

I love hunting with my dad. I have been for over 30 years now. I think he would enjoy it more if he had a nicer gun to shoot with.

Top Bottom