• ...and so much more!
  • mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    Now to find one lol. Not sure if I want to go with a single-shot or a lever gun.

Whatever you get, an added slip-on recoil butt pad can help tame it down a little. I use them for added reach and grippyness, but they do help with recoil, especially if you get an 1892 style lever action with the metal butt plate.

Kozaturf

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 21, 2020
    Westville-ish
    I had the opportunity to handle a new 'Henry X' at my LGS yesterday. Now there is a weapon ready for anything you want to do!

It comes with a threaded barrel, rail, you name it. Has a widened loop but no wrap with the 550 cord like shown at the Shot Show.

How are you set for 45-70?
    I have the X in 44 mag and if recoil is an issue I would say lean toward the regular models. The X is substantially lighter than the wood furniture models. Great for carrying around the woods, not so much for eating recoil.

But man is it cool

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    The .44mag will be good out to 150 yards or more, which is roughly the same effective range of the 12ga he's used to using.
    I just had a conversation with a guy who shot a buck at 200+ yards last year with a .44 mag single shot. He was in a platform stand 17 feet high, which I'm sure helped with the trajectory. That's probably the farthest end of reliable performance of the cartridge.

Victory106

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2021
    Fort Wayne
    I just had a conversation with a guy who shot a buck at 200+ yards last year with a .44 mag single shot. He was in a platform stand 17 feet high, which I'm sure helped with the trajectory. That's probably the farthest end of reliable performance of the cartridge.
    I would say that 100 yards would be the furthest my dad would shoot.

Victory106

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2021
    Fort Wayne
    So we were at a friends house yesterday, who happened to have a 350 legend. Dad grabbed it up and shot it a few times and said "Man I need this for deer hunting." I think he has changed his mind now lol. He liked the fact that it had almost no recoil. It was funny because he was still flinching and I was laughing at him and telling him it was ok, that it wasn't a 12 gauge.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    In a rifle format, especially for deer, I would opt for the .44 magnum where he can shoot .44 special if he wanted to? Ammo availability is as big of a consideration as anything anymore and it's available just about everywhere I go! .44 magnum will handle anything in the 100 yard range quite easily!

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Alot of his problem is recoil. That damn 12 gauge kicked like a mule and I could tell just from watching him shoot it that was the issue. Having an accurate firearm that you enjoy shooting can play a key factor in your hunting experience. I do agree with you on the weight and ease of carry also. My dad is 65 but in great shape for his age.

Maybe getting him involved is the best bet. Thanks for the advice!!

Whether he gets a new rifle or not, try the push-pull technique. It's one of the secrets of the universe when it comes to taming shotgun recoil. Here are a couple of vids to illustrate:

Levergun1

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2021
    Kingman
    If your dad needs a scope and funds are tight, I would suggest a single shot
    44. If funds are not so much snow issue, I would suggest a Ruger 77 in .44, IF you can find one. Great little rifles.

Top Bottom