• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sonovasailor

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    southport
    Hey deer hunters, what has been your experiance with .44 magnum rifles for deer hunting? Range, ballistics, knock down power. And how has that Horniday Lever-revalution ammo do? How does it compare to 12ga slugs and sabots?

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    It won't compare to a 12 gauge slug. You're talking .72" vs .42".

It will do the job at 50 to 100 yards, maybe a bit further, due to its (slightly) better BC.

It's still a brush gun; don't try to make it something it's not. LHC through the shoulders should anchor the animal, and if you need a coup de grace, well, it won't run with busted shoulders.

Josh <><

Bucky623

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I have taken two deer with a .44mag rifle. One dropped like a rock and one ran about 60 or 70 yards. I have also taken 7 or 8 deer (that I can think of) with a .44mag revolver. Every one of then didn’t take even one step after taking a .44 bullet. Every deer I have taken with a .44 have has died with just one shot. I have been very pleased with the .44’s knock down power.

I haven’t tried the Leverevolution ammo but I’ve heard a lot of good things about it.

As far as slugs go, I have had more deer run after being hit slugs than with the .44’s but that could very well be my fault too.

Bucky

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    My son and I have taken a total of 4 deer with .44 mag lever action Marlins. Ranges were 65 yards, 80 yards, 130 yards, and 160 yards. The 130-yard deer ran about 50 yards or so, but the others dropped within a matter of a few yards. I've never taken a deer with a shotgun slug, so I can't speak to that.

mwilson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    franklin
    my son and i have taken 4 deer with 44 mag handguns. from 30 yards to 82 yards all one shot. none ran more than 30 to 40 yards. all with 240 xtp bullets.have shot several others with 12 gauge. pretty much same results.

JBob77

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2009
    Scott County
    I have taken 2 with my 44 mag handgun. Both about 50 to 60 yards. Both died with one shot after running about 20-30 yards each. I thought I completely missed one of them, it didn't fall, didn't stumble or nothing. Just ran. for 20 yards, then laid down & died. The other, shot in the left shoulder, fell to her knees, then got back up and ran. Neither one was very hard to find.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I've hunted for almost 30 years, I've hunted with Blackpowder 50 cal, Sabot 50 cal, 20 ga, 12 ga, 44 mag pistol, 44 mag marlin, 44 mag Puma, and now a 44 mag 77/44, I've used standard forster slugs all the way up to the Rem Copper solids, I've used Hornady XTP, Rem 240 JHP, and lately with the Leverevolution, Debating "knock down", "killing power", is irrelevant Every thing I've hunted with has the ability to kill a deer, The only time I've "knocked" down a deer has been a bone hit, I've seen VIOLENT reactions with every firearm I've used, I've seen Hits that I was worried that I missed completely, I've made bad shots and I've tracked my and other peoples deer. No matter what you shoot a deer with you have to make a good shot, I've lived through the development of the modern slug and THE reasons that I am using a 77/44 right now is 2 fold, I enjoy shooting the firearm and I can practice more and the current rifle I have is more accurate than my slug gun, The second hit on the second deer I got this year was a long shot and the bullet traveled in the rear hip and exited the center of the neck, The 44 Leverevolution is very good ammo and it is very good shooting in my rifle.

The bigger the hole the better the blood trail, Thats why I'm prejudiced against the 357 for deer.

These may sound contradictory and to a point they are, With slug guns I never was able to stay behind the gun and practice I don't enjoy the recoil of a 12ga slug therefore I don't shoot it enough to feel as comfortable as I do with the 44's

I think in general you'll get more accuracy out of a 44 than the typical slug gun (I'm sure there's great shooting slug guns, I don't have one) One is no more deadly than the other you have to make the hit

sonovasailor

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    southport
    Thank you X10. That is the info I was looking for. I have hunted with a .44 mag for 2 years now and presently experiancing a dry spell. I am unable to anilize performance. I do love my Ruger 44 Carbine! Light, fast and accurate. I just havn't pulled the trigger on a deer.

Field King

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Thank you X10. That is the info I was looking for. I have hunted with a .44 mag for 2 years now and presently experiancing a dry spell. I am unable to anilize performance. I do love my Ruger 44 Carbine! Light, fast and accurate. I just havn't pulled the trigger on a deer.
    Wanna sit in my stand and kill a BUCK with that .44? :):

bucmaster

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I'VE HAD MARLIN LEVER IT SEEMED TO DEFLECT OFF OF SAPLINGS IN WOODS. I NOW USE REMINGTON ACCUTIP HAVE BEEN HAPPY SO FAR==== GOOD LUCK

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I'VE HAD MARLIN LEVER IT SEEMED TO DEFLECT OFF OF SAPLINGS IN WOODS. I NOW USE REMINGTON ACCUTIP HAVE BEEN HAPPY SO FAR==== GOOD LUCK

Deflect off of saplings:dunno:

Check out my post

:nuts:you guys can yell at me for this but I really don't think people practice enough In general, That excludes many members here:twocents:

Top Bottom