• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • g.mccormick

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    New Whiteland
    40% of sales are not subject to background check.

This number keeps getting thrown out there by the anti-freedoms people. Does anyone have an actual report of this? Are they just pulling this out of their butts?

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Considering I have no idea how they would measure that..... I'm guessing "their butts".

Now, NICS checks were up about 40% (39%, actually) last month. Maybe someone is getting their numbers confused?

g.mccormick

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    New Whiteland
    That's what I was thinking. If they are not checked, how the hell would they even know how many happened.

We might as well say that 0.40% of sales are done without background checks. Our 0.40% is just as plausible as their 40%.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I think they're counting the number of sales the government carries out with street gangs and running across borders.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Just wondered-those people aren't required to perform the background checks. They can, but do they?

How would they? In order to do a NICS check, you have to go through an FFL. A private person can't just call in. They would have to walk over to a actual dealer's table and have them do a 4473 and make the call.

I suspect many do a bill of sale and check ID, but even that isn't required.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    if the requirement for 100% background checks gets implemented, I wonder how NICS is going to feel about fielding almost double the amount of calls they do now? Especially since they will be coming from private individuals. Because requiring transfers through an FFL exclusively ain't going to happen. I do a background check every time I sell a firearm. "Are you legally allowed to purchase this?" "Yes?" "Have a nice day."

forgop

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Southeast Indy
    How would they? In order to do a NICS check, you have to go through an FFL. A private person can't just call in. They would have to walk over to a actual dealer's table and have them do a 4473 and make the call.

I suspect many do a bill of sale and check ID, but even that isn't required.

You can do an online background check on anyone if you have their info online. It's not the same as the official NICS check, but it would give you the background of anyone you're selling to. I know, 99.99% of sellers would never do this, but you could in theory sell to someone with a "clean" record this way.

I think these transactions are the big problem-if you're denied at a dealer 2 tables down, why should you be able to buy the same thing from someone who isn't licensed?

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    if the requirement for 100% background checks gets implemented, I wonder how NICS is going to feel about fielding almost double the amount of calls they do now? Especially since they will be coming from private individuals. Because requiring transfers through an FFL exclusively ain't going to happen. I do a background check every time I sell a firearm. "Are you legally allowed to purchase this?" "Yes?" "Have a nice day."

What would they care? Start answering phones at what, 8:05-8:10am; stop at 5:00pm. You can only answer so many calls per hour. Just because more might attempt to come in, doesn't mean they'll all have to be answered.:)

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Perhaps you could give us a citation so that we may cross exam it?

C'mon....promoting the idea that there are a high percentage of sales with no background check is for the greater good. No citation required, counsel. It's the media version of "judicial notice."

It's covered under the precedent of the famous case of The Number of Homeless People in the Country vs. Good Sense.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Realize that most of the private transfers of guns occur when the owner dies and the kids inheret them and/or are guns given to children from grandparents/uncles/parents. Even buying a gun for your spouse would be considered a private transfer under the new Obama madness.

g.mccormick

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    New Whiteland
    Considering I have no idea how they would measure that..... I'm guessing "their butts".

Now, NICS checks were up about 40% (39%, actually) last month. Maybe someone is getting their numbers confused?

I dont know how anyone would know a number for private sales... I think it would be impossible to know.

Kirk, I wasn't saying it is true. I'm saying that 40% is a made up bull**** number.

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    You can do an online background check on anyone if you have their info online. It's not the same as the official NICS check, but it would give you the background of anyone you're selling to. I know, 99.99% of sellers would never do this, but you could in theory sell to someone with a "clean" record this way.

I think these transactions are the big problem-if you're denied at a dealer 2 tables down, why should you be able to buy the same thing from someone who isn't licensed?

The majority of these services go back 7 - 10 years maximum. I've done one on myself. NO CRIMINAL HISTORY REPORTED. Private firms offering background checks aren't a carfax type solution. I could show up at your door with a privately obtained background search and everything would appear peachy keen when you transferred that Mossberg to me.

the bigger question is - how does the government find the power to remove an uninfringeable right from any free or freedman?

milewis

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012

I read it yesterday on a news story. The number is from the Brady Campaign. I found the information on their website, but it makes no mention of how they came up with their number.

"Since the Brady Bill was passed in 1994, Brady background checks have prevented 1,631,000 attempts by criminals and other dangerous people to purchase guns. Of these 1.6 million denied attempts to purchase, 51.6% were denied for felony charges, 14.5% had a history of domestic violence, and 4.2% were fugitives from justice. While Brady background checks likely contributed to lowering gun violence across the country, an estimated 40% of gun purchases still do not require background checks. Requiring background checks at all sales at gun shows is popular among the American public: a 2008 poll revealed that 87% of people favor requiring everyone who purchases a gun at a gun show to undergo a criminal background check with 83% of gun owners agreeing. As 95% of all background checks are completed within several minutes, this process does not inconvenience law-abiding citizens. Background checks should be required for all purchases."

Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence : Studies

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    It's all good...they "estimated" it to be 40%. (which means they made it up) :rolleyes:

Top Bottom