• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PINski1015

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2011
    Cyberspace
    Any advantages of one vs the other besides the obvious weight and ease of conceal of the 4"? The 4" seems to be Waaaaay more popular than the 6". Going to try and find a Model 66 at the 1500 in March but don't know what barrel length. Gun will be carried very little and target shot alot.

mssmith44

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2011
    Good Question. I have a 66 no dash, pinned and recessed with pinned front sight. I had it changed to a SDM fiber optic front sight. It is a great IDPA SSR revolver. You could even take it deer hunting.
    I have a model 15 with a six inch model 14 barrel with post front sight. It is a little quicker and more accurate.
    Good luck at finding a good used one.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    6 inch barrels seem to have fallen out of popularity. There was once a craze for long barreled hand guns, 8 3/8 was king then, now it is going toward concealed carry. The longer barreled guns are more accurate and better for longer range sessions due to barrel weight helping absorb the recoil. Try to find both and see which one feels better to YOU. Also check out the md 686 and maybe even a Ruger GP-100. Just guessing but those two might be easier to find than the md 66 in a 6 inch version.

PINski1015

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2011
    Cyberspace
    6 inch barrels seem to have fallen out of popularity. There was once a craze for long barreled hand guns, 8 3/8 was king then, now it is going toward concealed carry. The longer barreled guns are more accurate and better for longer range sessions due to barrel weight helping absorb the recoil. Try to find both and see which one feels better to YOU. Also check out the md 686 and maybe even a Ruger GP-100. Just guessing but those two might be easier to find than the md 66 in a 6 inch version.

I didn't like the way the GP-100 felt in my hand. I've held a 4" 66 briefly but not enough to form an opinion.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Its sort of like a goose gun vs an 18" home defense gun, although not nearly as pronounced. The 6" gives you longer sight radius (which should translate in to easier target shooting), and more muzzle velocity. The 4" will conceal better and be a fuzz faster to point and will likely feel better balanced.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Get the 6 inch for the use you specify. I shot PPC for a long time and 6inch is the way to go for range use. It is my choice for IPSC and NRA Action Pistol. The extra length is not a detriment in a strong side holster.

There are ways to conceal the longer barrel too, but you didn't ask that.

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    If this is for target shooting, I would go with a 6" 686. I have a few in different configurations. A full custom Bianchi Cup gun, a 7-shot steel plate gun w/ hybrid porting cut for moonclips, and a stock 686. As far as the 66, my favorite is the 3". I have a nice one in my safe.

Last edited:

Glock10MM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2012
    Either one will do the job, if it is going to primarily a range gun you might like the 6" more. But, that depends on what your definition of target shooting is.

I like the 3" and 4" K frames But, if I'm really going for distance and, accuracy I'm shooting a 686 6" YMMV.

Top Bottom