• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Amattern

Expert
    Rating - 97.1%
    66   2   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Terre Haute, IN
    Ok so my uncle and cousin both carry. 380 in ankle hoslters. Never really looked much into this caliber. Before Kinda neat little guns but what are some Good. 380s I could look at? Brands or specific guns.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    OHIO
    wtih modern ammo advances 380 is becoming a worthwhile round that is very viable for self defense, i do beleive in the major caliber argument for a main weapon, but many people on here carry 380 as their main weapon..

shavedforbattle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Evansville
    Ruger, Kel Tec, and Bersa all make cheap .380s. Sig makes a not so cheap .380 that is supposed to be the cat's ass. And then there is good ol' 007's Walther ppk in .380. (007 carried a .32 ppk, though)

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    A .380 sure beats nothing, but given the choice, there are better calibers.

Dr. Gary Roberts, a true expert in the field of terminal ballistics, says the following about .380s:
    BUG's: .380 ACP vs. .38 Sp - M4Carbine.net Forums

Excerpt:
    "Handguns chambered in .380 ACP are small, compact, and generally easy to carry. Unfortunately, testing has shown that they offer inadequate performance for self-defense and for law enforcement use whether on duty as a back-up weapon or for off duty carry. The terminal performance of .380 ACP JHP's is often erratic, with inadequate penetration and inconsistent expansion being common problems, while .380 ACP FMJ's offer adequate penetration, but no expansion. All of the .380 ACP JHP loads we have tested, including CorBon, Hornady, Federal, Remington, Speer, and Winchester exhibited inconsistent, unacceptable terminal performance for law enforcement back-up and off duty self-defense use due to inadequate penetration or inadequate expansion."

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    For those in search of the vaunted "one shot stop", the .380 is probably not the way to go. For those who have trained to "shoot to stop" the assault, a controllable handgun that allows for more of the follow-up shots to be "on target", the .380 is likely viable.... especially for those who may have recoil, or follow-up shot issues with larger calibers. As Always, my suggestion would be to carry the largest caliber you're proficient with. "A hit with a .22" .... etc.

To each his/her own.

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    Not to "knock" anyone BUT....
    I never understood ankle holsters. Still dont.
    Do you ask someone to wait while you bend over to get your ankle carry weapon?
    Do you spend a lot of the time rolling around on the ground?
    Are you constantly tying your shoelaces?

Bikerdad61

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    Sullivan
    I had a Colt Mustang Plus II years ago and loved it. The shrunk down 1911 style .380 with 7 shot capacity. Great reliable gun but in todays market they are going for $600-$800 Bucks. The brand name inflates the cost.

Bikerdad61

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    Sullivan
    Not to "knock" anyone BUT....
    I never understood ankle holsters. Still dont.
    Do you ask someone to wait while you bend over to get your ankle carry weapon?
    Do you spend a lot of the time rolling around on the ground?
    Are you constantly tying your shoelaces?

It could have it's advantages, if your hands are in the air ? Pretty easy to fake a heart attack, drop to your knees (becoming a smaller target and confuse your assailant), draw out and drill a double tap in their groin or abdomine. Not likley a gun confrontation is going to go down at 30 paces waiting for the other guy to blink.....Just say'in

randyb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    A .380 sure beats nothing, but given the choice, there are better calibers.

Dr. Gary Roberts, a true expert in the field of terminal ballistics, says the following about .380s:
    BUG's: .380 ACP vs. .38 Sp - M4Carbine.net Forums

Excerpt:
    "Handguns chambered in .380 ACP are small, compact, and generally easy to carry. Unfortunately, testing has shown that they offer inadequate performance for self-defense and for law enforcement use whether on duty as a back-up weapon or for off duty carry. The terminal performance of .380 ACP JHP's is often erratic, with inadequate penetration and inconsistent expansion being common problems, while .380 ACP FMJ's offer adequate penetration, but no expansion. All of the .380 ACP JHP loads we have tested, including CorBon, Hornady, Federal, Remington, Speer, and Winchester exhibited inconsistent, unacceptable terminal performance for law enforcement back-up and off duty self-defense use due to inadequate penetration or inadequate expansion."

My own research with the .380 is that it is lacking in penetration in anything that expands much. If I was carrying a .380 I would opt for FMJ to maximize penetration. I still like the .380 round, I currently do not own one as the Kel-tec P-32 is my 'carry when I can't carry anything else' gun. For the size of alot of the .380 you can get a 9mm (i.e. walther vs a Kahr). It is a fun round and enjoyable to shoot and I have found it very accurate.

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    I had a Colt Mustang Plus II years ago and loved it. The shrunk down 1911 style .380 with 7 shot capacity. Great reliable gun but in todays market they are going for $600-$800 Bucks. The brand name inflates the cost.

:yesway:....Still have mine....and rotate between it and 2 others(ParaP10/Taurus 99)....mostly carry the Mustang on the bike,but do carry the Para also....sometimes both.......:cool:

Captain Bligh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    I have and sometimes carry a Sig p232. It is a very well made gun that carries both advantages and disadvantages for me. The biggest advantage is its narrow profile that allows the gun to disappear during IWB carry -- that and it's drop-dead gorgeous looks.

As for round potency, regardless of what the "experts" say about penetration, there a lot of people that have met their maker compliments of the .380 round. I have no hesitation about carrying a .380.

All told, I am a bigger friend of the .380 than I am of ankle carry. I believe ankle carry to be a more difficult and slower access. Additionally, I have "made" more people doing ankle carry than any other form of concealed carry. YMMV.

abmears

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    I carry a sig p238 and love it! Usually in a pocket. I have not had any problems with this gun. I feel it is very reliable.

Armed-N-Ready

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    A .380 does not have adequate penetration?

I'm in the group that carries a .380 on occasion and I do not feel under gunned. I've not read any accounts of it failing to stop a threat, although I will agree that a 9 mm or .45 acp would be a better defensive round. I have read many accounts of people killed by a .380 and have never heard of anyone willing to be shot by one to prove their point. Over penetration can be a problem too and the .380 would probably not over penetrate and hit an innocent bystander. I like the .380 for the small size and low recoil but also carry larger calibers from time to time. The correct answer (IMHO) is carry what you are comfortable with and can shoot accurately.

Pocketman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    I have a Colt Mustang and find it to be nice shooter, as well as easy to carry and conceal. Sig P238 is pretty much a Mustang clone. Some people are not comfortable carrying a single action though.

BTW - I wouldn't want to be shot with a .380

JayPea

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Youngsville
    I also carry a Sig P238 and feel it's a very reliable pocket gun. Its usually in my pocket or IWB and its very easy to conceal and is easy to shoot. I agree with Pocketman, I wouldn't want to be shot with a .380 either.

Mad Man

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    LaPorte County
    I carried a Bersa Model 85 double stack .380 for years. Has sinced been replaced by Miss Elsie (LCP) loaded with Gold Dots. I have no qualms with the .380 round. Granted in colder weather when the BG's are wearing more clothes I'll opt for Miss J (J frame S&W638 .38 Special) or I may just carry the .40. The LCP is the perfect size for carry while riding the scoot:rockwoot:

smokestack

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 17, 2010
    Lafayette
    I have shot the Bersa 380's and they are a nice gun for the money, an LCP is true pocket gun but nothing I would consider an everyday shooter. The price has come down on the ammo and they are a lot more affordable to shoot now. I think it comes down to personal preference.

mojo2530

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Cedar Lake
    I have a Taurus 380 that i love. I believe its a pt938 ss but i have to admit my wifes sr9c is the same hieght and length and a little thinner. then if if you consider the 9mm ammo is half the cost. I think if i had to choose id go with the 9mm.

Top Bottom