• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    It’s not about being stupid. A lot of folks just want a gun for that sock drawer or they have issues running a slide. I teach firearms and the bulk of our classes are intro to handguns. There are a lot of 69 year old plus folks and especially ladies. And while sometimes a snub revolver is t an ideal gun autos have their own set of obstacles for some shooters.

The bulk of these folks are either not going to do much shooting outside of that 4 hour class they took. OR they have hand issues where a proper grip is not managed to keep an auto from not malfunctioning. So you have to diagnose their issues and give them the best option

More times than not it’s a wheelgun. There are only 15-20,000 professional firearm students in the country the rest just think they know how to run a handgun that’s what you deal with!

xuvvPgI.jpg

Some goon tape fixes the grip safety issue. IMHO people who don't shoot regularly and only use dots benefit greatly. They clean the gun and change the batteries once a year and you have 15+1 on tap with a decent trigger and capacity making it a significantly easier firearm to shoot well. The future is now , if price is a consideration I can see a revolver then, but we have a ton of fantastic pistols on the market specifically for this subset of the gun owning population IMHO. Plus better yet it has a rail for a light as all dedicated HD guns should have.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    If you go with a self-defense revolver get at least a 3" barrel to help with velocity.
    That extra inch not only improves ballistics, but is easier to aim as well.

I also suggest buying one chambered in 357 magnum.
    You don't have to worry about shooting +p or +p+ 38 special loads, and if you decide you need a little more power than what the 38 special has you can step up to the mighy 357 magnum.
    It's only about $100 more on avg for the 357 magnum. Definitely well worth it in the years to come.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    xuvvPgI.jpg

Some goon tape fixes the grip safety issue. IMHO people who don't shoot regularly and only use dots benefit greatly. They clean the gun and change the batteries once a year and you have 15+1 on tap with a decent trigger and capacity making it a significantly easier firearm to shoot well. The future is now , if price is a consideration I can see a revolver then, but we have a ton of fantastic pistols on the market specifically for this subset of the gun owning population IMHO. Plus better yet it has a rail for a light as all dedicated HD guns should have.
    Respectfully. Those casual or older new shooters are not going to slap a RDS or use the equipment rail. Let alone change the batteries.

And as far as taping a grip safety on a Sheild EZ Or Equalizor being it’s hammer fired and usually without a thumb safety not the best advice. We are not talking pinned grip safeties from the 1980’s and 1990’s USPSA matches!

I see several of those I have described come through every year especially the last couple! These are not the same folks that sign up for a Gunsite or Handgun Combatives

Just been my observation and trends working at a large indoor range and gun shop since retiring

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Get a couple in 2in and 4in. If you can find clean used models, go that route. Shoot to practice, snubbies I go to 7 yds, 4in easily 10-15 yards. Its a handgun, not a long range sniper model.

I have semi autos too, but like the revolver as was my first buy in 1982. Dependable and would do the job if needed. 357 mag is great option, a lot start at @$1000 new.

Thats why semi autos are so popular ,is cost and fast reload magazines. 9mm vs 38Spec is pretty close in performance.
    Oh sure, lots of ammo varies, stay basic and learn to hit acurately. Aim small,miss small.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    With respect to both sides, no firearm is idiot/malfunction proof. I agree albeit more tactfully with what was said above: if you can't operate a semi auto you won't be able to clear a revolver malfunction. Yes, they do malfunction.
    Esp with the EZ slide rack SA available now. S&W and Ruger options both come to mind.
    There is no weapon system that will cover for lack of basic firearm handling and accuracy.
    Sock drawer guns will get you killed.

walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    It is not how long it is but how good you use it .to re phrase an old saying.Know people with short ones that get the job done & others that spray and pray don't If i remember correctly the man that shot the shooter in the indiana mall did not miss his target and did not use over 5 shots.

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    I must admit to no longer owning a wheel-gun. Last one to go was a Rossi 3" 44 spl. I kept it around because it was the only gun my wife would shoot... 20 years ago. She hasn't touched it, or anything else since, so out it went.
    What follows is opinion only.
    If I were going to use .38 spl for SD, it would be a Charter Arms Off Duty, or a S&W 642: shrouded hammer makes for really simple deployment from anywhere; 12-14 oz makes it easy to carry. Were it for home defense, I'd chose a nice, heavy, Ruger GP100 4". Heavy enough to tame .357 loads, long enough barrel to justify the expense of .357 ammo.
    As stated above, I no longer own a wheel gun. I am a lot happier with 13+1 230gr HST, and two spare mags for my G21g4.

Top Bottom