• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • woodsie57

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    Wondering if trimming ,38 cases would be ok to make up some 38 sw reloads for grandpas 3rd gen iver Johnson top break revolver. I know they'll be a bit smaller diameter, (until fired) but it's close. Will use trail boss, nothing hot.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Yes you should be able to cut down 38 special or 357 magnum brass then bell the brass to fit the larger bullet in.

38 S&W is .360 caliber. So if you do not buy that specifically you should look for .358-.359 cast bullets it's the next best thing.

Contact Hoosierbullets.com see if he can make you a couple thousand bullets at .360 caliber.

Last edited:

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    In this case it might be best to buy some factory loaded ammo and then you will have the brass needed.

Starline does still make 38 S&W brass, finding it is hard though.

There are also people who sell the bullets of varying diameters, but I would probably measure the throat first to have an idea. Some vary quite a bit in size.
    Contacting Hoosier Bullets is a good suggestion.
    or online

woodsie57

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    Yes you should be able to cut down 38 special or 357 magnum brass then bell the brass to fit the larger bullet in.

38 S&W is .360 caliber. So if you do not buy that specifically you should look for .358-.359 cast bullets it's the next best thing.

Contact Hoosierbullets.com see if he can make you a couple thousand bullets at .360 caliber.
    I have a lee 158 swc mold that runs .358+. So should be ok there, but case splitting, if that's likely, would be a deal killer. I figure seating the bullets, due to the inside taper of the cases, might end up expanding the case OD to a decent fit. Could look into just buying some 38 sw,. But what's the fun in that...

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    I think you can backorder it at Starline. I did that for .38-55 and had it less than a month later. They show backordered and $112.00/500

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I have a lee 158 swc mold that runs .358+. So should be ok there, but case splitting, if that's likely, would be a deal killer. I figure seating the bullets, due to the inside taper of the cases, might end up expanding the case OD to a decent fit. Could look into just buying some 38 sw,. But what's the fun in that...
    I say try 10 see how it works out.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    You should be able to scare up some 38 S&W for it, I shoot 38 S&W loads in my Merwins but fill with BP. merwin eject.jpg

Brian's Surplus

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 18, 2016
    Howard County
    Wondering if trimming ,38 cases would be ok to make up some 38 sw reloads for grandpas 3rd gen iver Johnson top break revolver. I know they'll be a bit smaller diameter, (until fired) but it's close. Will use trail boss, nothing hot.
    I'm pretty sure we have new .38 S&W brass in stock at the store. If you call me at the store, I can look and see what we have and how much it is. I could bring it to the Franklin gun show this weekend if you wanted to pick it up there.
    We also have loaded ammo, but it's a bit pricy right now.

woodsie57

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    I'm pretty sure we have new .38 S&W brass in stock at the store. If you call me at the store, I can look and see what we have and how much it is. I could bring it to the Franklin gun show this weekend if you wanted to pick it up there.
    We also have loaded ammo, but it's a bit pricy right now.
    Great example of why, 2 years after moving to Florida, INGO is still my go-to gun site. Thanks for your gracious offer, but I'm staying the hell away for awhile,! Lol

Reale1741

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 22, 2020
    Jeffersonville
    I've used .38 spl to make .38 S&W quite a bit. The only problem I ever had was a split casing that was made from a 90+ year old .38 spl. I'd say give it a shot if you just want to shoot it a few times.

Top Bottom