• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I just returned from a trip to participate in the 35th annual Bataan Memorial Death March. Some of you may remember I flew out in 2020 to try to complete it, but they cancelled the event the day I flew due to COVID and all the uncertainty of that time. Unfortunately, the last US survivor has passed on since then and I did not get to meet/see any of them. The only remaining living survivor who was present was a Filipino veteran who was in his early 100s. This is expected to be his last year to make the trip due to advanced age and health.

I wanted to finish. That was my only goal, I never set myself a time goal as I had little idea of how rough the course would be or how I would do with a full marathon. I'd only done 1/2 before, so this was uncharted territory for me. I entered Civilian - Light (Male) and carried a pack that was roughly 14 lbs. Light is not required to carry a pack at all, but I took basic first aid/foot care stuff, spare socks, 3 layers of clothing, a metal cup (I thought the water points would be spigots, they are actually volunteers handing you paper cups), and some other trail basics in a Deuter day 28L bag.

Turns out, I was better prepared than I hoped. I ended up in the top 1/4 of entrants and handily in the top 1/3 of finishers in my category and age group (over 1,000 entrants, right at 80% finished). Roughly 16:30 minute mile average and finishing at roughly 7 hrs 15 minutes. I walked most of it, but after mile 5 started running some stretches of 1/3 to 1/2 mile at a time, then a 2 mile stretch from mile 14 to 16 on a downhill, then back to short stretches. The big incline was not as steep as I'd expected nor was the sand pit that bad (for me, my buddy had a rough time in it.) I beat my buddy who lives in NM by a bit over an hour, so I get to remind him he sucks and I'm awesome until one of us dies. If he dies first I can remind his funeral. :D

Participating in the event was a very meaningful experience for me. Seeing, and hearing, all the young soldiers doing the event was awesome. Flipping each other ****, motivating each other, just being young soldiers. I didn't try to insert myself into their experience, but just being on the periphery brought some of the old comradery back and I loved it. Seeing the old guys out there, hard as woodpecker lips, doing a marathon in their 60s or more, even if it took them all day, awesome. Seeing the wounded warriors out there doing it on replacement limbs, literally tear jerking. I did not speak to many other participants once the event started, and then only if they spoke to me first, as I wanted to observe and think about the meaningfulness of why everyone was here and the memories of those who sacrificed so much so that we could go to the desert and have play time in their honor. I kept my socializing for before and after.

I remain impressed with the dedication and drive of some of our young people. I played leap frog with an ROTC group for much of the race. They were wearing full uniform, full pack (at least 30 lbs per the rules for heavy) and carrying a roughly 5' length of 4x4 each. The 4x4 was just their idea, it wasn't mandated. I finished just in front of them, but had I been in the same category they would easily have smoked me. All of the MPs I interacted with were polite and professional. The volunteers were universally encouraging and helpful. Whatever the media, social and otherwise, I seldom see it in real life and this was the same. The 'decline' was not in evidence among the participants, staffing members, etc.

Recovery wise, my hips were a bit sore and I blistered my right foot a bit in the last 3 miles. I felt good enough to hike again the next day and my wife and I hit up several other places in NM over the next few days. Slot canyon trail, Gila Cliff Dwellings, Catwalk Recreational Area, etc. I came real close to turning an ankle on Slot Canyon, as I jumped down from a ledge on a large rock I didn't see and turned it. Luckily after the event, and no permanent injury or swelling, just soreness for two days.

All in all, a great experience and great memories. I'll qualify for 50-59 age group shockingly soon, and will probably give it a go again when I do.

boogieman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    under your bed!!!
    I grew up just over the mountain from there in Las Cruces. Every year it was a big deal when the march was going on. I have a lifelong friend that is in the Air Force that does the heavy division every year, and he talks about how hard but rewarding it can be. My sister still lives out there and works as a Civil Engineer on White Sands.
    I will praise anyone that can do that course as it is a tough challenge.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Thanks for posting. this helped form my Dad’s opinion on those folks, along with 12/7/41 and other things.

Top Bottom