• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    I have decided that I would post some videos of case preparation for the 358WSSM.
    No matter what version you have, generic or otherwise, these are some of the steps you will have to take to get brass that fits your specific chamber.

I anneal first. I have been successful in using brass all the way from 223WSSM brass for this caliber. I have lost very few cases since I started annealing first, and to this point, I have done over 300 cases.
    (Click on the videos to watch)
    Here is how I anneal:

After this is done, using Imperial Sizing wax on the inside of every other case neck, I begin my necking up process. I purchased another stem for my Redding dies that holds a 223 to 25 caliber tapered expanding button. Using that first, I take both my 243WSSM and 223WSSM brass to 25 caliber. When I get through the lot that is being processed at that time, I go to the successive tapered buttons, 25 to 30 caliber and then, 30 caliber to 35 caliber, again, using the sizing wax sparingly as the instructions suggest. When I am done sizing for expansion, I have another die that I bought to run them through. It is the Redding 358.25WSSM neck only sizing die and it's button is more tubular than tapered and it opens the mouth of the case another thousandth or so. This is important because of the tools that I have chosen to use. If this was not done, I could not get the case to go over a stock mandrel for .358" (usually a bit smaller for proper bullet/neck tension).

When all of the neck sizing is done, then I move on to the Hornady manual case trimmer. Mine is setup for just this one caliber. That way, no adjustments are needed from lot to lot. I trim and deburr the inside of all case necks.
    Then, on to the neck turning.
    http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r115/Sackettwannabe/Boolits/358 WSSM/IMG_0120_zps4e649216.mp4
    Next:
    http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r115/Sackettwannabe/Boolits/358 WSSM/IMG_0118_zpsd42afb80.mp4
    Then:

And finally:

I hope this helps someone as they venture on their way with the Indiana wildcat deer cartridges. This one may be a big for most folks. I understand. I would presume that the 358WSM is likely pretty close to this only a longer case. Either way, these are a few steps that need to take place to get consistent loading for your rifle should you decide to make your own brass. It isn't brain surgery, to me, it is fun, but, it is for sure time consuming. If I really push it, I can do a bag of 50 cases, annealed to neck turned in 1 hour and 45 minutes. Just thought I would share.

Enjoy or criticize! :D

Top Bottom