WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I posted this before, but I like these targets:

ASaCAqgh.jpg

They come in a large sheet with 15 targets. They are shoot n see, so I can see where my bullet hit a lot more easily with other targets. Not super great for precision, but then neither am I... :):

aLyF8XNh.jpg

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    Trying to find a target that would give the best possibility of repeatable alignment at 50 yards with a fixed power 4x scope. Normally I would replace the scope for 50/100 yards precision 22 shooting, but this rifle and scope is a family heirloom almost as old as I am.

Kahles #4 reticle:

Kahles No 4.png

Suggestions?

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Great targets!
    Very inspiring!
    Keep them coming!

Every year at this time I buy targets on sale from 2 or 3 places & have some fun targets to use as soon as I quit using my 3/4" circles to sort through rifles since I keep finding other rifles to replace what I have (or not).

I am especially looking forward to using some US Coast Guard 6" 300 yd targets, to use at 100 yds. :lmfao:
    I got some different 2" that I usually use with my .22 handguns to use with rifles instead of the 3/4" are killing me. :ugh:
    The 4" targets were kicking my butt (The big red stickers with white "X" on black inner circle). :dunno:
    I then got some 1/2" targets to use at 25 yds (little red circles with white middle).
    So, my answer to my shooting issues:
    - move targets closer
    - buy bigger targets
    :hehe: :rofl:

Attachments

• 3 Action targets 01.2021.jpg
      3 Action targets 01.2021.jpg
      93.7 KB · Views: 3
    • 4 in. red targets w4 triangles 1500 for 90.jpg
      4 in. red targets w4 triangles 1500 for 90.jpg
      81.9 KB · Views: 3
    • 3 Midway targets 01.2021.jpg
      3 Midway targets 01.2021.jpg
      3.7 KB · Views: 1
    • 10.11.2020 New Rifle targets Red.jpg
      10.11.2020 New Rifle targets Red.jpg
      73 KB · Views: 3

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    The 4" targets were kicking my butt (The big red stickers with white "X" on black inner circle). :dunno:
    I then got some 1/2" targets to use at 25 yds (little red circles with white middle).
    So, my answer to my shooting issues:
    - move targets closer
    - buy bigger targets
    :hehe: :rofl:
    I bought some of the 4" targets with the X too. Will probably use them this weekend , want to try out my 9mm carbine at 100 yds.

I like your solution to your shooting issues!

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    Ok, you guys (and gals?) got me fired up to do a project I started over a year ago, but didn't have all the pieces (mostly afraid to use my only mag) to see what dad's old squirrel gun can do at 50 yds with various "better" ammo.

Got one mag on trade from an INGO'er and another put me onto a site with new mags at not crazy prices in stock. d.K's target on the .22 LR Thread gave me the final piece, a target that I think I can align with a 4x scope at 50 yds with enough reliability to group the different ammos - we will see.

Remington 541S Custom Sporter
    Kahles Helia Super 4x with #4 reticle

9E6C207B-9318-4C64-A745-7EEA26BDCB4F.jpeg
    776C526B-6073-46C6-A2CB-41C9DC7D5EFE.jpeg

Last edited:

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    How he afforded the rifle and the scope at that time as a Tech Sgt with three kids, I'll never know, lol! Distinctly possible he won it in a poker game! :)

He has had a lot of guns come and go over the year, some bought/sold, most traded... but this one for 50-some years.

So now just waiting on the extra mags and targets to arrive, and a calm full day that I can spend at the range.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Beautiful old school rifle!

As far as targets, I've used some stick on targets that come in a pack with 1", 2", and 3" circles with a black diamond in the center. Might be worth a try to stick on of each on a backer then try them at various ranges and see which size works best.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Beautiful old school rifle!

As far as targets, I've used some stick on targets that come in a pack with 1", 2", and 3" circles with a black diamond in the center. Might be worth a try to stick on of each on a backer then try them at various ranges and see which size works best.
    I discovered the 3/4" squares last year.
    Ordered ark blue.
    I ended up not seeing where on the small square I was hitting, but didn't mind so much since I was glad to be w/i the 3/4" square. :lmfao:
    When I did my 1st-of-the-year target ordering, I found some beige 3/4" squares.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    With my eyes, the 4x scope will be the limiting factor at 50 yds... I'm wanting to be able to align the reticle to a gnat's *** repeatably so that it's only the gun and the ammo, not my eyeballs.

My normal 25 yd multi targets would rely too much on my ability to "quarter the pie"... my center fire 200 yd targets would work, but too big, too expensive at one center target per sheet or have to use the smaller corners at a disadvantage... but these, I'm feeling a lot more confident about (from d.K's posting):

7-35705.jpg

Plan B will be "foll your own" with different line thicknesses to create my own custom cross hair target (with a small paste-on center) that matches the Kahles reticle.

Plan C is the "easy way", mount a different scope with plenty of magnification for the yardage to precisely align each time... but just for this ammo exercise. I've seen this same scope on this rifle since the beginning of being able to remember things, so for hard to explain reasons, taking it off, even temporarily, just seems wrong... so yeah, jumping thru hoops to avoid it if possible.

rala

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    May 17, 2010
    Evansville
    If your looking for a more fun/challenging target, then it may not be the target, but how you approach it. With any target if you ditch the rear bag and only use a front rest (bipod or bag) then you've upped the challenge. I shoot groups all the time. Great fun, especially when I have different rifles and ammo at the range. If I want to increase the challenge I shoot for score. Shooting Groups is consistent Point of aim, Point of impact is wherever it lands on the target. As long as it's a neat little pile, your golden. When shooting for score, now POA and POI are important.

It doesn't have to be NRA bullseye targets.

For groups & score I use the Black Death target. http://toyfj40.freeshell.org/GunPix/BlackDeath.html

Great test to find the limits of shooter, rifle, ammo, sights is the Tack Driver target. 1 shot per ring and 25 opportunities to screw up:).

For you steel shooters, the rimfire KYL rack from Shootingtargets 7 is a great time. targets are 2" down to 1/4". I got mine for about $140 shipped. B+ challenge at 25, A+ at 50 and only prayer will help at 100

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    With my eyes, the 4x scope will be the limiting factor at 50 yds... I'm wanting to be able to align the reticle to a gnat's *** repeatably so that it's only the gun and the ammo, not my eyeballs.

My normal 25 yd multi targets would rely too much on my ability to "quarter the pie"... my center fire 200 yd targets would work, but too big, too expensive at one center target per sheet or have to use the smaller corners at a disadvantage... but these, I'm feeling a lot more confident about (from d.K's posting):

7-35705.jpg

Plan B will be "foll your own" with different line thicknesses to create my own custom cross hair target (with a small paste-on center) that matches the Kahles reticle.

Plan C is the "easy way", mount a different scope with plenty of magnification for the yardage to precisely align each time... but just for this ammo exercise. I've seen this same scope on this rifle since the beginning of being able to remember things, so for hard to explain reasons, taking it off, even temporarily, just seems wrong... so yeah, jumping thru hoops to avoid it if possible.
    Oh yes, the eye issue. Deal with that myself. What I used to be able to do with a 4x scope now needs 8x. :crying:
    I can see not wanting to swap out the scope, it just wouldn't be right nor be the same even if you put the scope back on in the exact same place.
    Over on rimfire central they have a mess of downloadable targets, there might be something in there you can use. Here is a link to the posts: https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=110

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    If your looking for a more fun/challenging target, then it may not be the target, but how you approach it. With any target if you ditch the rear bag and only use a front rest (bipod or bag) then you've upped the challenge. I shoot groups all the time. Great fun, especially when I have different rifles and ammo at the range. If I want to increase the challenge I shoot for score. Shooting Groups is consistent Point of aim, Point of impact is wherever it lands on the target. As long as it's a neat little pile, your golden. When shooting for score, now POA and POI are important.

It doesn't have to be NRA bullseye targets.

For groups & score I use the Black Death target. http://toyfj40.freeshell.org/GunPix/BlackDeath.html

Great test to find the limits of shooter, rifle, ammo, sights is the Tack Driver target. 1 shot per ring and 25 opportunities to screw up:).

For you steel shooters, the rimfire KYL rack from Shootingtargets 7 is a great time. targets are 2" down to 1/4". I got mine for about $140 shipped. B+ challenge at 25, A+ at 50 and only prayer will help at 100
    Good stuff there! I've shot the tack driver target, its a lot tougher than it looks! Those Black Death targets would be great for a person to keep track of how they're progressing, and those smallest ones will be a real challenge for the experienced, that's for sure.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    Oh yes, the eye issue. Deal with that myself. What I used to be able to do with a 4x scope now needs 8x. :crying:
    I can see not wanting to swap out the scope, it just wouldn't be right nor be the same even if you put the scope back on in the exact same place.
    Over on rimfire central they have a mess of downloadable targets, there might be something in there you can use. Here is a link to the posts: https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=110
    Dad had hundreds of guns over the years, and dozens upon dozens of .22 rifles... bolts, levels, semi's. Others came and went, this one stayed because he "never shot one as accurate".

So, as much as I want to leave that scope where his hands put it, and will jump thru a lot of hoops to do it, I'd like even more to show him just how accurate it is while he's still around.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Dad had hundreds of guns over the years, and dozens upon dozens of .22 rifles... bolts, levels, semi's. Others came and went, this one stayed because he "never shot one as accurate".

So, as much as I want to leave that scope where his hands put it, and will jump thru a lot of hoops to do it, I'd like even more to show him just how accurate it is while he's still around.
    The best kind of fun!

Top Bottom