• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    Thanks ANeat! I had never heard of anyone doing such a thing. DHolder is right, Appleseeds produce obscene amounts of .22lr brass. I've been trying to think of a practical application for all the .22 brass we generate at seeds and now I have one. Thanks
    TBE

ANeat

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    SW Ohio
    Folks have been doing that since the 40's as far as I know. There is a good bit of labor involved in just prepping the brass.

A good thourough cleaning is necessary to get the priming compound/residue out and any other dirt/crud of course.

Then it must be de-rimmed in one die, then annealed, at that point you have a "jacket"

Then you must seat a core that is made in another process, then a point formed and you have a bullet

They are thin jackets and usually the 3000 fps range is about all they can handle. But for really little to no cost after the initial investment its a cool way to stay in bullets.

Works well for 22 and 6mm,

IndianaGTI

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   1
    May 2, 2010
    Thanks ANeat! I had never heard of anyone doing such a thing. DHolder is right, Appleseeds produce obscene amounts of .22lr brass. I've been trying to think of a practical application for all the .22 brass we generate at seeds and now I have one. Thanks
    TBE

I could use some 168g 308 bullets while you are making them, TBE.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Am ... I the only one thinking this is a.. uh.. shall we say interesting idea?

By the time you pay for the equipment, how many .223 bullets could you have bought? geeeeeeez.

50k? 60k? good lord people. :)

Now I understand the whole " I want to make it myself" thing, but.. wow.

ANeat

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    SW Ohio
    Am ... I the only one thinking this is a.. uh.. shall we say interesting idea?

By the time you pay for the equipment, how many .223 bullets could you have bought? geeeeeeez.

50k? 60k? good lord people. :)

Now I understand the whole " I want to make it myself" thing, but.. wow.

Thats the same attitude that folks get with reloading, casting, heck even "shooting" and countless other "hobbies"
    The fun is in the process, plus the fact that if you spend the money on 50K bullets and shoot them up then what have you got??

If you had bought the press/dies you could keep making bullets, or sell the equipment, probably at a profit....

FWIW Dave Corbins stuff is overpriced, People like Richard Corbin, Larry Blackmon and probably a couple others make swaging equipment that is more realistic in the pricing.

The bad part is the wait is probably a year or better

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I played with making .222 bullets out of rimfire cases in the 1980's. It can be done. You can make some pretty good (not excellent) bullets. It is a LOT of work. The used rimfire cases are free, but the lead is not, and the dies are expensive. It takes a lot of pressure to really get them nice. I broke a rock chucker press using a cheater bar on the handle to get more leverage. I just never had the time to mess with it, especially when I was done, they would not group as tight as factory Winchester bullets, let alone as good as Speer or Sierra.

I can see someone enjoying it as a hobby, especially if they do not expect competitive benchrest accuracy. I sold the dies to the first guy that asked.

Top Bottom