• ...and so much more!
  • t-squared

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Crown Point
    Thinking about making my own plinking/range rounds for a few different MSRs. I already have all the needed tools....press, tumbler, dies, trimmer, etc. I'm looking for advice concerning components.

Concerning bullets, for simple range stuff is sticking with 55gr fmj the easiest/most economical? I've found Hornady and Aguila bullets in that weight for pretty cheap. I also found Hornady 62gr at RMR for not much more....any reason they would be better for my needs?

About powder, what seems to work best for stuff that would clone factory ammo like PMC Bronze, WWB, etc ?? With the costs of powder these days, I would like to avoid having 8lbs of stuff that I won't like...!!!

And finally primers, is there any need to use the "NATO" spec harder primers like CCI #41s? I'll be sending these out of a couple PSA uppers along with a few others factory guns.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    The hornaday 55fmj is a good inexpensive projectile. Only way to know if the 62 is better is to try them. You may find 1 gun likes 1 and another gun likes the other.

I think you'll find that handloaded 55gr fmj with 25ish gr of h335 will outperform most plinking grade factory loads. Even without sorting my brass, this combo works great for my 1:7 twist for plinking. There are plenty of other powders to try, but that 335 drops very nicely when I'm not hand weighing charges.

For precision rounds, I sort brass, handweigh charges,and use 69smk and varget.

Primers: I use regular srp. Not saying that's the way to go, just saying that in many thousands of rounds loaded and shot, I have yet to have an issue.

Ymmv.

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    63   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    Primers- i myself have been using small rifle magnum primers for 223 for several years now.
    Powder - win 748, blc2, h335 is what i mainly use for plinking ammo
    bullets, 55gr plinking, fmj and soft point too. I stay away from armscor and prvi bullets

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    336   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    55gn projos are cheap and readily available. They work just fine and are the world's most common plinking rifle bullet.

Powder, I'd go with H335 or BLC-2, both are pretty available and good for other calibers too should you ever branch out.

I've never seen a need for 41s in AR rifles, and have always used standard CCI 400s. I've also never had a slamfire, but know people that have, so YMMV. If you want to be extra safe, get 41s. If you're only chambering at the range, in a safe direction, etc, regular primers are fine.

t-squared

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Crown Point
    Thanks a bunch !!
    After "running the numbers" through a reloading calculator, with today's primer and powder costs it's probably not worth it money wise to reload plinking .223. I guess I'm just looking to not be as effected by ammo price/availability spikes. I reload all of my handgun stuff except for my carry HSTs, and haven't bought any factory stuff for years.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Thanks a bunch !!
    After "running the numbers" through a reloading calculator, with today's primer and powder costs it's probably not worth it money wise to reload plinking .223. I guess I'm just looking to not be as effected by ammo price/availability spikes. I reload all of my handgun stuff except for my carry HSTs, and haven't bought any factory stuff for years.
    I agree on 55gr ammunition. 75gr Speer TMJBT are imo the best for plunking. I'm wanting to try out RMR's new 75gr 3G bullet.
    It cost a little more to reload them but worth it imo.

Last edited:

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Thinking about making my own plinking/range rounds for a few different MSRs. I already have all the needed tools....press, tumbler, dies, trimmer, etc. I'm looking for advice concerning components.

Concerning bullets, for simple range stuff is sticking with 55gr fmj the easiest/most economical? I've found Hornady and Aguila bullets in that weight for pretty cheap. I also found Hornady 62gr at RMR for not much more....any reason they would be better for my needs?

About powder, what seems to work best for stuff that would clone factory ammo like PMC Bronze, WWB, etc ?? With the costs of powder these days, I would like to avoid having 8lbs of stuff that I won't like...!!!

And finally primers, is there any need to use the "NATO" spec harder primers like CCI #41s? I'll be sending these out of a couple PSA uppers along with a few others factory guns.
    What's your barrel twist? I've been advised to use magnum small rifle primers in .223 to be on the safe side, so I stick with them. I went with faster twist barrels a while ago and they shoot well with heavier bullets. I haven't tried them with light, i.e. 55 grain bullets. Varget, H-335 and BLC-2 seem good powders for .223 with light bullets.

t-squared

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Crown Point
    2 barrels are 1:7 and the other is 1:8.
    Found some H335 today at Cabelas... price was pretty ouchy, but it is what it is...!!

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    What's your barrel twist? I've been advised to use magnum small rifle primers in .223 to be on the safe side, so I stick with them. I went with faster twist barrels a while ago and they shoot well with heavier bullets. I haven't tried them with light, i.e. 55 grain bullets. Varget, H-335 and BLC-2 seem good powders for .223 with light bullets.
    I’ve always used regular small rifle primers in 223 and never had any issues. Have loaded and fired many thousands.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    Ok for what it's worth..... cci #400 support is fine for very light loads, otherwise step up to federal, I have periced several cci 400's
    A 1 in 7 twist will spin a 77 grain just fine
    Powder? Imr 8208XBR yes it's a little "fast" , meters great, awesome performance, many a guy has made there service rifle load come alive with this.

Top Bottom