• ...and so much more!
  • indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    That's a good sized boy. Was that a random sighting? Or, has he been around for a while? I'm trying to learn how to guesstimate age, so this is a 2 or 3 yo?

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    That's a good sized boy. Was that a random sighting? Or, has he been around for a while? I'm trying to learn how to guesstimate age, so this is a 2 or 3 yo?
    I'm pretty sure the 10(first photo) was around last year and I've had several photos of him this year. I think I had the 9 last year as well but not as sure on that one. This is the first photo I've had of him this year.

It is really hard to estimate age by body characteristics at this time of year. After they shed their velvet and start to bulk up for the rut it gets easier. The 10 is at least 3.5 and more likely 4.5 based on part with the history with him and in part on the gut beginning to sag a bit and how close his neck is to reaching all the way down to his brisket despite not being swollen yet. It is impossible to be sure on the 9 from that angle. If he is the buck from last year that I think he might be, then he is likely 3.5.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I'm trying to learn how to guesstimate age, so this is a 2 or 3 yo?
    I don't want to clog up this thread with a bunch of old photos but if you would like I could start a photo thread on aging bucks. I don't pretend to be an expert on it and make plenty of mistakes but I'm fortunate enough to be able to get trail cam photos in area where bucks can and do grow old fairly regularly.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I don't want to clog up this thread with a bunch of old photos but if you would like I could start a photo thread on aging bucks. I don't pretend to be an expert on it and make plenty of mistakes but I'm fortunate enough to be able to get trail cam photos in area where bucks can and do grow old fairly regularly.
    Not my call. If you think it would add to the conversation for some, then it's not a waste of space.

model1994

quick draw mcgraw
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 17, 2022
    glacial boundary
    y’all are making me jealous. my cams haven’t showed much more interesting than the neighbors dogs lately. the foxes moved out months ago and I see them occasionally, as well as turkeys - but everything besides does and possums avoid my cameras

Top Bottom