• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BJHay

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2019
    Crawfordsville
    Perhaps a little off topic but hopefully not over the line.

Does anyone have thoughts on the effect of coyote hunting on their local whitetail population? I've read that they kill a lot of fawns in the summer.

We have good habitat yet typically we have very few deer. I hear coyotes almost every night but I can't justify yet another hobby without some benefit.

I'm thinking of sitting in a deer stand with my .308 Tikka and a 42mm Trijicon scope. With a good moon I think I can safely identify targets at distance. I'd probably buy a remote electronic call (I don't think my wife would let me stake out one of her chickens;)).

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county

Does anyone have thoughts on the effect of coyote hunting on their local whitetail population? I've read that they kill a lot of fawns in the summer.

We have good habitat yet typically we have very few deer. I hear coyotes almost every night but I can't justify yet another hobby without some benefit.

I'm thinking of sitting in a deer stand with my .308 Tikka and a 42mm Trijicon scope. With a good moon I think I can safely identify targets at distance. I'd probably buy a remote electronic call (I don't think my wife would let me stake out one of her chickens;)).
    I will give you a nice metal deer stand if you want it. Found it in my woods.. donated from?? Going to put it in the classy’s today. Tim

BoilerWes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Pendleton

Coyotes do kill a lot of fawns and even mature deer each year. I’ve seen several wildlife studies that claim anywhere from 10-20% of new fawns each year. Also read that one mature coyote will kill 3 fawns each year.

I think if you are serious about trying to thin out the coyotes in your deer woods, sitting in a tree at night with a 308 is probably not the best means. If you know someone that traps, then this would be likely the very best. Followed by day or night time predator calling. Thermal is obviously a huge advantage at night.

BJHay

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2019
    Crawfordsville
    Coyotes do kill a lot of fawns and even mature deer each year. I’ve seen several wildlife studies that claim anywhere from 10-20% of new fawns each year. Also read that one mature coyote will kill 3 fawns each year.

I think if you are serious about trying to thin out the coyotes in your deer woods, sitting in a tree at night with a 308 is probably not the best means. If you know someone that traps, then this would be likely the very best. Followed by day or night time predator calling. Thermal is obviously a huge advantage at night.
    Thanks. I'm not ready to make the jump into thermal and night shooting but I like the trapping idea. I'll look into that. Thanks.

Quiet Observer

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    St. John
    My son-in-law has shot a few coyotes on his property in DuPage County, IL. He initially borrowed my 9mm Marlin carbine. Then bought a 9mm carbine for himself. He hunts deer on his property with a bow.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    Can you guys recommend a good gun mounted light? I want to mount it on a 20" AR I built up awhile back for that purpose. I was thinking of the Orion M30C kit on Amazon, but I am pretty ignorant on the subject. Is red or green light better for coyotes or does it really matter? They have a 350 lumen version as well that is a lot more compact. Max yards will probably be 200-ish in the field I am going to be hunting. I have been catching as many coyotes on my trail cam as I have deer. Looks to be the same pair every time, but who knows?

BoilerWes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Pendleton
    Can you guys recommend a good gun mounted light? I want to mount it on a 20" AR I built up awhile back for that purpose. I was thinking of the Orion M30C kit on Amazon, but I am pretty ignorant on the subject. Is red or green light better for coyotes or does it really matter? They have a 350 lumen version as well that is a lot more compact. Max yards will probably be 200-ish in the field I am going to be hunting. I have been catching as many coyotes on my trail cam as I have deer. Looks to be the same pair every time, but who knows?
    I would try daytime calling first before investing much in a gun mounted light. I’ve never had much luck just spotlighting . Now thermal on the other hand different story. If you know their travel pattern in and out of an area or know where they are staying…wait for a good wind and try calling.

Chase515

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Oxford, In
    Called for a hour last night. Battery pack for my thermal broke. Where the wire goes in the usb port broke off and pushed back into the battery pack. So my boy was solo with his 350 legend and a sniper hog red light. We had a pack to the east howling and a pack to the west howling. We got cold before anything came in.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    I would try daytime calling first before investing much in a gun mounted light. I’ve never had much luck just spotlighting . Now thermal on the other hand different story. If you know their travel pattern in and out of an area or know where they are staying…wait for a good wind and try calling.
    That's the problem with this field, it runs east to west. I have a ladder stand at the western edge of it I was going to use. I will set a ground blind on the eastern side. Do coyotes seem to mind a ground blind or should I brush it in good?

BoilerWes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Pendleton
    They are fantastic smell and sight creatures. I love killing coyotes from Deer stands. Wait until you have a favorable wind and hunt the deer stand. As with pretty much any type of hunting, an elevated position is a great advantage. If we end up getting a good snow next week, prime time for calling.

Top Bottom