• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    So looks like it was buckwheat not radishes. They are browsing heavily on it right now. Worried by the time youth season rolls around they will have moved on.

ws6duramax

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Metamora
    No velvet......interesting
    You're right , I didn't even notice that . I'll pull my cards on trail cameras today and see about the others in the area . There are several other ones dead ones , I just can't seem to put my eyes on them . Stinking to high heaven though

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Loosing a buck like that to disease is a tragedy. There's plenty of hunters out there that'll never get one that big in their life.

ws6duramax

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Metamora
    Loosing a buck like that to disease is a tragedy. There's plenty of hunters out there that'll never get one that big in their life.
    I'm up to 4 that I've found dead on my place so far . Two other property owners next to mine are up to 19 ! We have a long way to go before the first frost , I'm afraid we will lose a whole bunch more.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I'm up to 4 that I've found dead on my place so far . Two other property owners next to mine are up to 19 ! We have a long way to go before the first frost , I'm afraid we will lose a whole bunch more.
    I've been checking the trail camera at my place and it looks like about 50/50 for some bucks still have the velvet on antlers and others have scraped it off. I'm glad I haven't seen anything sickly looking, but also don't know exactly what I'd be looking for in the pictures either. I'm in northeast IN, where are you at that you've found 4 dead like that?

ws6duramax

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Metamora
    I'm in the southeastern part of the state, county. Most buck here are close to being out of velvet now. I seen one in the field last night still completely in velvet, it looked to be a 2.5 yr. old. I haven't seen any that looked sickly, just dead ones.

I'd hate to say how many have been lost already. Most of our county roads follow small creek and streams. If you go for a ride around, the smell of dead animals is everywhere you go. We actually started taking our Jeep rides to different areas because of the smell.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I'm in the southeastern part of the state, county. Most buck here are close to being out of velvet now. I seen one in the field last night still completely in velvet, it looked to be a 2.5 yr. old. I haven't seen any that looked sickly, just dead ones.

I'd hate to say how many have been lost already. Most of our county roads follow small creek and streams. If you go for a ride around, the smell of dead animals is everywhere you go. We actually started taking our Jeep rides to different areas because of the smell.
    I can't believe you don't have packs of coyotes getting big and fat if the smell is all over that much. Sounds like natures cleanup crew can't keep up with the workload.

ws6duramax

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Metamora
    I can't believe you don't have packs of coyotes getting big and fat if the smell is all over that much. Sounds like natures cleanup crew can't keep up with the workload.
    I asked the C.O. about not seeing buzzards and other scavengers around. He said the exact same thing, just to many carcasses around to clean up. I enjoy predator hunting as well, so it should be good year for that !

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Do they all just end up dying in the river trying to get one last drink of water? Man that's a rough way to check out and such a waste.

ws6duramax

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Metamora
    Do they all just end up dying in the river trying to get one last drink of water? Man that's a rough way to check out and such a waste.
    From what I know, EHD causes a high fever and they seek water for relief. I think the older the animal, the more susceptible to death. Unless they had it at a younger age and have some immunity to it.

Kind of like humans , young kids can deal with a very high fever , but it can be deadly to the older population.

ws6duramax

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Metamora
    Crappy picture but the best I could stomach! Another doe , been dead a while. I could smell another one further into my walk , but wasn't able to find it yet .
    20220908_184307.jpg

Top Bottom