• ...and so much more!
  • patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Yes!! Have some hatchlings flying around at home. Nice flying target practice. The dang adults now are on to me so I’m deploying a tactical scarecrow so they will get used to seeing someone outside. There very weary of any movement.
    Shoot the parent first. The idiot young will hang around for the slaughter.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    There are other ways to control pests without resorting to shooting them. Starlings don't like safflower. Do some research!!!
    Resorting to? Hell, that's my first and most favorite option for the overpopulated, foul, invasive species from England. Definitely not the last resort. If I was home all the time, I'd have traps out for the evil bastages and seperate their head from their shoulders with a pair of needle nosed pliers.

Mice54

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2021
    Indianapolis
    Resorting to? Hell, that's my first and most favorite option for the overpopulated, foul, invasive species from England. Definitely not the last resort. If I was home all the time, I'd have traps out for the evil bastages and seperate their head from their shoulders with a pair of needle nosed pliers.
    Such anger and agression!

Mice54

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2021
    Indianapolis
    Stuff it, sunshine. They're an invasive species that drive native cavity nesters from their homes and they are not even nice to each other. Like feral cats, they need to be eliminated at every opportunity for the good of the environment.

There's your angry and aggressive. See the difference?
    Lol... thanks for the fun!

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    200.gif

sixGuns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 24, 2020
    Grabill
    Disclaimer, I love birds, so much so I have them on my fretboard. The lady of the house loves them too. We have a birdbath 15 feet away from the window over the sink. I could sit inside in A/C, open the screen a few inches and make many nights of it. That range, fish in a barrel.

There are so many around us. I would be surprised if it is not at least 1000. Total infestation around where I'm at. I've seen 10-15 pushing and fighting in the birdbath, scores perched on the fences. Bird, um, fecal matter, on cars, concrete, you name it. I don't want it tracked in the house and I'm sick of these flying rats.

My problem, I don't have an air rifle and the lady thinks it's mean. I've gone over the whole invasive and health thing. How else can I approach this? Any suggestions for a cheap decent air rifle?

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Disclaimer, I love birds, so much so I have them on my fretboard. The lady of the house loves them too. We have a birdbath 15 feet away from the window over the sink. I could sit inside in A/C, open the screen a few inches and make many nights of it. That range, fish in a barrel.

There are so many around us. I would be surprised if it is not at least 1000. Total infestation around where I'm at. I've seen 10-15 pushing and fighting in the birdbath, scores perched on the fences. Bird, um, fecal matter, on cars, concrete, you name it. I don't want it tracked in the house and I'm sick of these flying rats.

My problem, I don't have an air rifle and the lady thinks it's mean. I've gone over the whole invasive and health thing. How else can I approach this? Any suggestions for a cheap decent air rifle?
    It depends on your definition of cheap. Will the $40 multi-pump crossman work? Yep. It will. Especially at that range. Just make sure the iron sights are on.

But for about $100, a nice break barrel can be had. For that range, I'd forgo the scope and get one with irons. It's much quicker to get on target.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    I like birds... Tyson.. KFC... but when it comes to starlings I prefer a dead one.. there is one still hanging in the tree upside down. I tried to reason with it and it refuses to budge. Any suggestions? It seems nice but definitely not evasive .. especially to gravity.. yet. One other hung in a tree and it fell out while my wife was mowing. Well it didn’t end well for the bird puzzle and a lot of pieces missing. And my wife was not happy with the bird that ejected from the blades o’death.
    Trying to keep it family friendly..
    PSA: all starlings that were depicted in death scenes we’re actually dead and no other birds were harmed during shooting of this public service announcement. Forgot to add 3 more to the count. Will go up this weekend

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Still not seeing a lot of starlings at our house, but I've seen lots of grackles. When I was a kid those were fair game, but I've learned (maybe here on INGO?) that they're a protected species or something. Why, I have no idea since there's obviously no shortage of them.

sixGuns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 24, 2020
    Grabill
    It depends on your definition of cheap. Will the $40 multi-pump crossman work? Yep. It will. Especially at that range. Just make sure the iron sights are on.

But for about $100, a nice break barrel can be had. For that range, I'd forgo the scope and get one with irons. It's much quicker to get on target.
    I could go $100 for a break-action. "Effective" range and accuracy? I'm not trying to take down buffalo, of course, just wondering. Pop can MOA @ 25 yards?

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I could go $100 for a break-action. "Effective" range and accuracy? I'm not trying to take down buffalo, of course, just wondering. Pop can MOA @ 25 yards?
    I'd look at the Gamo or Ruger offerings. Then find a pellet it likes and your set. I have a Gamo that works really well. No irons but I use it for the longer shots. I also have a Norinco side cocker with irons for the shorter stuff.

Top Bottom