• Status
    Not open for further replies.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I found these work MUCH better for "kebabs" And you can add stuff at the appropriate time to reduce over/under cooking. (E.g. onion petals burn if put in at the beginning)

grilling-basket.jpg
    I still prefer skewers, but I keep one ingredient per skewer. Chicken skewers are only chicken. Peppers only peppers, etc.

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    I found these work MUCH better for "kebabs" And you can add stuff at the appropriate time to reduce over/under cooking. (E.g. onion petals burn if put in at the beginning)

grilling-basket.jpg
    Good point, I may have to try that. The whole concept of putting mixed items on skewers is probably best for presentation but not practical for cooking. In the end, it all gets dumped on my plate.

tim87tr

Freedom lover
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Eastern IL
    Decided to try a rolled round I got with my half beef. I guess it's like Picanha I'd smoked awhile back, without the rump fat cap?

Did a ground pink salt dry rub overnight in the fridge. Ran it to 135F on Camp chef smoker with cherry pellets and flying swine rub. Wrapped in foil and towel for couple hours. Medium/medium rare, was delicious for a lean cut.

I'm getting some good ideas on here, going to read the entire thread! I'm better off here than Politics or Classifieds :thumbsup:
    PXL_20210821_225634040.jpg IMG_20191222_141506.jpg

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Nov 2, 2017
    LaPaz Junction
    Decided to try a rolled round I got with my half beef. I guess it's like Picanha I'd smoked awhile back, without the rump fat cap?

Did a ground pink salt dry rub overnight in the fridge. Ran it to 135F on Camp chef smoker with cherry pellets and flying swine rub. Wrapped in foil and towel for couple hours. Medium/medium rare, was delicious for a lean cut.

I'm getting some good ideas on here, going to read the entire thread! I'm better off here than Politics or Classifieds :thumbsup:
    View attachment 154413 View attachment 154414
    I resemble that last sentence.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    Finally won our hometown contest after 7 years of trying and lots of second place finishes. It was getting to be aggravating after winning plenty of other contests.
    Ended up with 1st in chili, 2nd in chicken by 1/2 a point, 3rd in ribs, and 11th in pulled pork (only 7 points off first place which is crazy close from 1st to 11th) and 1st overall.
    75QD250.jpeg

DPiZIRP.jpeg

ZfeksD6.jpeg

qOZHdCe.jpeg

COOPADUP

Accipiter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 8, 2017
    Hamilton County
    Finally won our hometown contest after 7 years of trying and lots of second place finishes. It was getting to be aggravating after winning plenty of other contests.
    Ended up with 1st in chili, 2nd in chicken by 1/2 a point, 3rd in ribs, and 11th in pulled pork (only 7 points off first place which is crazy close from 1st to 11th) and 1st overall.
    75QD250.jpeg

DPiZIRP.jpeg

ZfeksD6.jpeg

qOZHdCe.jpeg
    Congratulations! All that food looks fantastic.

craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    75QD250.jpeg

DPiZIRP.jpeg

ZfeksD6.jpeg

qOZHdCe.jpeg
    Congrats and your Q looks awesome. The sauce has a very nice color and sheen. I like all of those textures I see in your chili too.

I have been smoking on an Oklahoma Joes Highland all Summer. Fun, but it's a pain to keep consistent temps. Can't take very large splits at once, so you gotta add small chunks very often. Was going to get an egg, but want more capacity to put sides or lots of meat on, want to burn wood, and I like the pit style, plus there is a cool factor to it. Pulled the trigger on a Lonestar Grillz 24x36 offset last week. In a short...4.5 months, I will really be smoking lol.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    Congrats and your Q looks awesome. The sauce has a very nice color and sheen. I like all of those textures I see in your chili too.

I have been smoking on an Oklahoma Joes Highland all Summer. Fun, but it's a pain to keep consistent temps. Can't take very large splits at once, so you gotta add small chunks very often. Was going to get an egg, but want more capacity to put sides or lots of meat on, want to burn wood, and I like the pit style, plus there is a cool factor to it. Pulled the trigger on a Lonestar Grillz 24x36 offset last week. In a short...4.5 months, I will really be smoking lol.
    Thanks, the chili is my specialty besides ribs. It has bacon, sausage, ground beef, fine cubed beef, and smoked brisket in it for lots of different flavors and textures.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom