• Status
    Not open for further replies.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I have used their brisket rub before and it was great. I think I got it as a gift at some point. I will definitely try their rib rub. I quit trying to make my own rub long ago because nothing I ever made was appreciably better than store bought, which is soooooo much easier.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Perfect smoke, absolutely delicious.

zRNBqAj.jpg

Rick Mason

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2019
    Lake County
    I have used their brisket rub before and it was great. I think I got it as a gift at some point. I will definitely try their rib rub. I quit trying to make my own rub long ago because nothing I ever made was appreciably better than store bought, which is soooooo much easier.

I make my own rub mostly because I can then use four of my favorite savory spices, ginger, cinnamon, cardamon, and clove. They are not the only spices, but they form the base. It shifts the meats into the Southeast Asian flavor profile.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Ribeye for the Grillmaster and bottom round and chuck steaks for everyone else. Does anyone else do that? My wife likes the super thin steaks so not going to waste a Ribeye on her, and the kids... well they should be happy they get to eat. :laugh:

Did a reverse sear, and it turned out great.

hWk1MW2.jpg

sGm5j40.jpg

MRockwell

Just Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield
    OK, so I didn't take any pictures of the Filet. Cause I ****ed it up good. I overthought the process, and decided to wrap each one with bacon. Grill was good and hot, and everything was going great until about 4 minutes in on the second side. I had an inferno! Charred those puppies good.

However, PhotoNinja's was a perfect medium(how she likes) and she just cut the thin char off and she was impressed. Mine was just a little bit more than a medium, but it was very tender and not dry at all. The bacon actually insulated the sides(no char), so I guess that was a win.LOL

Rick Mason

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2019
    Lake County
    I might have mentioned a few times in various posts that I have an interest in the Philippines. They have a grilling/BBQ tradition that is strong, but different from ours. Here's a look at one of their best meats hot off the grill. If you're looking for something different and delicious, I would encourage you to give it a try. Also, please try the achura that he also makes if you like a good slaw with the BBQ.
    [video=youtube;3yF2vil8UGI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yF2vil8UGI[/video]

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I might have mentioned a few times in various posts that I have an interest in the Philippines. They have a grilling/BBQ tradition that is strong, but different from ours. Here's a look at one of their best meats hot off the grill. If you're looking for something different and delicious, I would encourage you to give it a try. Also, please try the achura that he also makes if you like a good slaw with the BBQ.

That looks good!

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Prepping a packer brisket for the smoker on Saturday... It looks to be a good day to hang out with some friends over beer and BBQ.

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    Trying my hand again at brisket. This was after 7.5 hours, just before wrapping and back in for a couple hours. Resting right now, we'll see how it comes out.
    6my4MpK.jpg

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    This next BBQ/Grill post brought to you by:

20200425-180502.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

So my favorite China Flu take out is closed, probably because China Flu, so I NEEDED pork fried rice. So a couple days ago, I found a recipe for the bright red sticky assed roast pork that most Chinese take outs carry. Well, I skipped the red food coloring, but used the rest of the ingredients to make a WONDERFUL pork tenderloin. Fast forward two days, leftover pork loin gets cubed up for fried rice, the rest of the Not Red Chinese BBQ marinade goes on, then I decide I need BEEEFFF, so, out comes some decent sized filets from the freezer. A little soy sauce, hoisin sauce, and garlic for the marinade.(I know, right, but it’s China Flu night), So any whoo, marinate the filet in that whilst I gather the fried rice ingredients. So, in between starting the Egg, for the filets, and gathering ingredients for fried rice, RAIN.

Let’s just get this out in the open, a carbon steel wok, with 3 Tbs’s of oil on the burner in the rain= a painful evening. Anyhoo, filets are on the Egg, fried lice is coming along famously, Bourbon mixed with NEW Dole canned Strawberry Lemonade is flowing...Ffwd. I give you The Covid/China Diet:

20200425-180430.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

Cozy439

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Milan Center
    This next BBQ/Grill post brought to you by:

20200425-180502.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

So my favorite China Flu take out is closed, probably because China Flu, so I NEEDED pork fried rice. So a couple days ago, I found a recipe for the bright red sticky assed roast pork that most Chinese take outs carry. Well, I skipped the red food coloring, but used the rest of the ingredients to make a WONDERFUL pork tenderloin. Fast forward two days, leftover pork loin gets cubed up for fried rice, the rest of the Not Red Chinese BBQ marinade goes on, then I decide I need BEEEFFF, so, out comes some decent sized filets from the freezer. A little soy sauce, hoisin sauce, and garlic for the marinade.(I know, right, but it’s China Flu night), So any whoo, marinate the filet in that whilst I gather the fried rice ingredients. So, in between starting the Egg, for the filets, and gathering ingredients for fried rice, RAIN.

Let’s just get this out in the open, a carbon steel wok, with 3 Tbs’s of oil on the burner in the rain= a painful evening. Anyhoo, filets are on the Egg, fried lice is coming along famously, Bourbon mixed with NEW Dole canned Strawberry Lemonade is flowing...Ffwd. I give you The Covid/China Diet:

20200425-180430.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]
    How much lead time do you need for be to cruise by for our own carry out?!!?!?

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    How much lead time do you need for be to cruise by for our own carry out?!!?!?
    Plenty of leftovers. Just pull up behind the Black Jeep, honk the horn and yell NUMBA 44, leave $27.95 on the Jeep cargo rack, and give me 10-15 to put some heat on it.

Last edited:

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    I just bought a sous vide circulator so tomorrow will be my first attempt at reverse searing filets

If you don’t want them to cook beyond the doneness of the sous vide bath, I highly recommend letting them cool a good bit after you remove them from the bag before searing. I will often ice bath the bag before opening. Also, pat them as good and dry as soon as they come out of the bag and again before they hit the searing device, moisture is the death of a good sear.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom