• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Basically Your allowed 1 buck and two anterless but your breaking the law if you shoot them at night. The landowner needs to apply for depredation tags for you to legally hunt the deer without spending money on a license. He can kill all the deer he wants on landowner permits but they need to be checked in to be legal. if you use his landowner permits, again your breaking the law. It's up to you but but careful, The CO's today are "cops" and you could loose your equipment, hunting privileges etc.

Steve

I have zero interest in breaking the law.

boman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 19, 2009
    indianapolis
    I have zero interest in breaking the law.

---Good Call---truth be known---squirrels, groundhogs, raccoons, birds etc do as much if not more damage to crops than deer and that ain't much in the big picture of things. Nothing against farmers, some of my best friends farm, but they seem to be misguided sometimes.

Steve

zbiddle91

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    SULLIVAN
    2 in 2 days im good for the week then go backout this weekend.
    62beba4298176986d7f24ad779d3f6c6.jpg
    e02aa981c8db4cb5650ff63f75333134.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    OK, I think I have my confusion cleared up. How many deer can be taken depends on what is being used, and how many licenses I have. I have 2 antlerless on my bundle in a 2 bonus county, so that's all I can take with that. I can get 1 more antlered on the bundle during firearms. If I don't get one during firearms, I can get an antlered in muzzleloader or archery on my bundle.

If I get a buck this week during firearms but want more, I can:
    Get a separate muzzleloader license and take another antlerless.
    Get another archery license (maximum of two) and take one on each license for up to two more antlerless.

Do I have that right? I talked to the wildlife hotline and a local CO and that's what I understand to be true. Don't want to run afoul of the law, but do want to do my best to help the landowners reduce their herd.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I bought an archery tag and a firearms tag.
    Shot my buck w gun so now my archery tag is doe only.

If I buy a bonus/doe tag, it isn't weapon specific. But I can't use a bonus tag in some areas (like Winamac F&W area).
    I can shoot a doe there, under my bow specific tag, or a MZ specific tag.

But for me to handgun or rifle hunt antlerless this weekend, I gotta buy a bonus tag (private ground).

LOL

Just had tooth extracted so no bow or rifle..........its handgun only for me this weekend..............under bonus tag.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I dont need more than two deer and my closest spot doesnt have the does.

Might end up buying three tags to put two deer in the freezer LOL

Bundle is flexible.

But i buy a bow specific tag figuring I can get the job done....year after year ( even when i dont ).

Stubborn, wishful thinking or stupid?
    Eh its all the same.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    I dropped a nice buck opening day. My daughter was with me as always. She was as excited as I was. It has 5 on one side and three on the other. A fighter he was.
    Not to be outdone, my daughter dropped an 11 pointer, 213 pounds Wednesday night.
    2019 EMs BUCK.jpg

DEC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Angola
    I almost did not hunt this morning. The grind of the past 4 weeks of hunting 5 and 6 days a week was wearing me down. I didn't like the forecast either. But I told myself to get up and go. I settled into the stand right at about legal time. Zero activity for the first hour. Then I looked behind me and saw something. I honestly thought it was a squirrel or racoon that just caught my eye. But as I studdied what I could just make out as an animal behind some trees, a glimps of antler. Then he stepped into an opening where I could see his full rack. I've been hunting this farm since September 15th and this was the nicest buck that I had seen all year. Finally at 40 yards he turned and gave me a broadside shot. My 450BM barked and after a short 40 sprint he was down. I used my Reduction Zone buck tag on him as I had filled a Reduction Zone doe tag in October. Tank of a body, good mass, and a beauty of a 10 pointer.

WUcDmQg.jpg

whdxi2p.jpg

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    ---Good Call---truth be known---squirrels, groundhogs, raccoons, birds etc do as much if not more damage to crops than deer and that ain't much in the big picture of things. Nothing against farmers, some of my best friends farm, but they seem to be misguided sometimes.

Steve

My farmers might be opinionated, but they know what's doing what.
    Got access back in the day to smoke chucks, before the yotes showed up.
    Now if you shoot a place down, it stays down, due to the yotes.
    Groundhog hunting is IMHO a bygone sport.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    My farmers might be opinionated, but they know what's doing what.
    Got access back in the day to smoke chucks, before the yotes showed up.
    Now if you shoot a place down, it stays down, due to the yotes.
    Groundhog hunting is IMHO a bygone sport.

Need to shoot more 'yotes.

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    1st day in VA was a bust. I saw a doe around 0720, raised up to put cross hairs on her and she did an about-face back to the woods and didn't give me a shot. The other 4 guys I was with saw nothing. Rain rolled in about around 1300 and settled in quick. Soaked thru and wet and out of the woods by 1545. Spent the last hour of good shooting light sitting on the porch of the house looking down the path. Beer, margaritas, and Mexican for dinner, crapper, and bed. Day 1 in the books.

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Went and fetched my deer from processor.
    Saw a nice buck out a ways in picked beans, w 6 does.
    130-140 class.

Got a fair chunk o meat off my buck. But a lot of it burger.
    Thankfully they do a food pantry deal so I left that there.

Brats and sausage, steaks. Just a bit of burger for jerky.
    Proly buy another small chest freezer this week.
    Women folk have junk in the fridge/freezer and other small chest freezer in garage.
    Proly have mine just for game.

With no other storage avail right now, can't justify shooting another deer.
    Better buy a freezer before Thanksgiving LOL

Back when I was more poor, cut my own deer.
    I aint rich, but this deer worked out to be less than 4 bucks a pound, with specialty stuff made, all gas for hunting/practice, ammo and tag included.

Now we aint gonna talk about how much my next deer will cost, since I bought a stand and steps ($200). and hunted 5 times.
    Shoot one and processed am out 300. Be about 6 bucks a #.
    Assuming the stand and stuff is worthless after usage, which it isn't.

Cheap and good eats, no matter how ya slice it.

Even my ol lady knows its cost effective. But she wants ducks, pheasant and rabbit in the freezer instead.

ndawoods25

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Martinsville
    My 14 year old daughter and I sat in a double ladder stand sun up to sundown Saturday. had a tree umbrella and rain gear. Was pretty nasty. didnt see anything. sat sun am till 1030. Just a couple squirrels. Try to get her a 2nd deer. Got her 1st 1 last year

Top Bottom