• patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    54+ a leg

Hubby blew the leg off of one last week. That .243 went right through the shoulder and took the leg right off. Dropped her right where he hit her, and she bled out pretty fast I guess. The last couple have been right through the heart. It is amazing how far they can run after being hit like that...the one went at least 50 feet.

Shot one with a .308 one day. He turned as I shot and it entered front of chest and exited behind the shoulder. Missed him 3 times as he spun biting at the shoulder where his shoulder blade had been. While I was reloading he picked his leg up in his mouth, still only attached by a strip of skin, and carried it off to the woods. Never found the carcass. They are tough.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Shot one with a .308 one day. He turned as I shot and it entered front of chest and exited behind the shoulder. Missed him 3 times as he spun biting at the shoulder where his shoulder blade had been. While I was reloading he picked his leg up in his mouth, still only attached by a strip of skin, and carried it off to the woods. Never found the carcass. They are tough.

:runaway::runaway:

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C

He had a snack for later.

Crows are still carrying on back up the creek. I need to get moving and see what's up. Been snowing a little this morning but not enough to cover anything.

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.

Dang. One tough s-o-b. 'Picked up his leg and carried it off'... After being hit by a .308...

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN

Must have been a cartoon coyote!...did he have anything that said "Acme" on the side???

That is the only coyote I have seen take a hit like that!...he probably went behind a big rock and just stuck it back on with "ACME leg glue."...the one with the huge sloppy paint brush!

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Must have been a cartoon coyote!...did he have anything that said "Acme" on the side???

That is the only coyote I have seen take a hit like that!...he probably went behind a big rock and just stuck it back on with "ACME leg glue."...the one with the huge sloppy paint brush!

No cartoons. Real story, no BS. Blood in a 3' circle where he spun around. 215 yd shot as I recall.

Appeared through the scope that the bullet had entered in front of the scapula and exited behind it, never entered the chest cavity.

Last edited:

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I learned something interesting from Dan Flores on the Joe Rogan show...The more coyotes we kill. the more of them there are....The wolf breed started in north America then left and spread out to the world...The coyote, which is a wolf, stayed here...When the wolves came back they began tearing the coyotes up and they evolved a system where every night the take a roll call and if one doesn't answer the female will go in to heat...In 1900 we declared war on wolves and coyotes...By 1915 total number of wolves turned in for bounty was 17...Coyotes 30,000...The next year 31,000 with zero wolves...They are a fascinating critter...

[video=youtube;ZSgI9XToqI0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSgI9XToqI0&t=124s[/video]

[video=youtube;LH1RUk1w_xk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LH1RUk1w_xk[/video]

Herr Vogel

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2018
    Rossburg
    ... and they evolved a system where every night the take a roll call and if one doesn't answer the female will go in to heat ...

Let me spitball an idea.
    So you design this device. It's basically a microphone, speaker, solar panel, battery or capacitor, and a single board computer, all in a waterproof container. All it does is listen for a call, and when it hears one, delivers the appropriate response. You build the thing out of off-the-shelf components, make it as inexpensive as possible, and then distribute the plans, parts list, and programming online. Encourage anyone with coyote problems to build a dozen or so and mount them up off the ground, in spots with sufficient sunlight to charge the device, spaced out by the devices maximum range. The devices basically run themselves, maybe checking on them once a season, the coyotes don't reproduce in that area as much, the population declines.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Let me spitball an idea.
    So you design this device. It's basically a microphone, speaker, solar panel, battery or capacitor, and a single board computer, all in a waterproof container. All it does is listen for a call, and when it hears one, delivers the appropriate response. You build the thing out of off-the-shelf components, make it as inexpensive as possible, and then distribute the plans, parts list, and programming online. Encourage anyone with coyote problems to build a dozen or so and mount them up off the ground, in spots with sufficient sunlight to charge the device, spaced out by the devices maximum range. The devices basically run themselves, maybe checking on them once a season, the coyotes don't reproduce in that area as much, the population declines.

Um, no thanks...

Lol, that would destroy my hobby.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Let me spitball an idea.

I believe I'll stick with shooting every one I see.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Let me spitball an idea.

Uh, yeah, no. I want every reason I can get when it comes to getting out in the woods.

Actually that doesn't really sound like that bad of an idea, especially if you could find a way to use a call to repel them from a particular area. Although I still prefer to administer my yote birth control at 3100fps.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Hubby is out there now trying to get some more. He's up to 13 so far....all included in our running count here.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    What I found fascinating is that in 1900 they were in the SW and northern Mexico...We declared war on them and they are now from the northern Andes to the Arctic Circle and in 49 states....

Rogan and Flores opined that it must be frustrating for Americans do declare war on an animal, throw everything we got at them for over a hundred years and now they are everywhere and more numerous than ever before....:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I don't hate them but I will shoot them.....I do, however, respect their tenacity....They are actually wolves and were known as prairie wolves up until the 1930's when the term coyote began to come in to use....They are evolving fast...If none of you have ever seen this on the first adult killed by coyotes it's a fascinating story...Worth a watch....

This first one is really good...The hunter is awesome in this....He saw the danger they were posing before Ms Mitchell was killed.....

[video=youtube;C3rCrnB0YbY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3rCrnB0YbY&t=629s[/video]

[video=youtube;u7_-_0-1yy0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7_-_0-1yy0&t=42s[/video]

She never had a chance...the coyotes were healthy and well fed....When the RCMP officer got their with his 870 the coyote stood guard over her...Wouldn't back down...He shot the coyote and Ms Mitchell died later that evening at the hospital from loss of blood...

t1larg.taylor.mitchell.jpg
    Alg_taylor_mitchell.jpg
    14046218ca488a6761b2520608915912.jpg

[video=youtube;5g6SsyRajNg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5g6SsyRajNg&t=48s[/video]

Last edited:
    Top Bottom