• Status
    Not open for further replies.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Out of loin? How’d it turn out? In my experience, smoked loin is better for slicing than pulling.

We do it all the time. It tends to be smaller pieces, but it tastes just as good.
    When I was in KC 2 weeks ago I had some killer sauce. I'm going to order some online for the next round. Its from here - www.joeskc.com its the " night of the living sauce" thick and spicy

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    I will be joining the club, I have been doing dry runs and spraying it down with peanut oil before and after smokes for 3 days now, going to smoke a butt and some wings tomorrow, pics to follow.

Smoker is a "Old Country Pecos". Nothing special but all welded construction and thicker then the store bought stuff.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I will be joining the club, I have been doing dry runs and spraying it down with peanut oil before and after smokes for 3 days now, going to smoke a butt and some wings tomorrow, pics to follow.

Smoker is a "Old Country Pecos". Nothing special but all welded construction and thicker then the store bought stuff.

It's hard to beat a wood burner. If it's thicker than the store bought versions and fully welded it ought to be great. Where did you pick it up? I'll have another wood burner, trying to force myself to wait until after we find a new house and move.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis

That is a cool smoker, I have seen one in the background on barbecue university before but never knew what it was.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Last night I did a pork loin sliced into chops and a venison backstrap.
    v2BuQL.jpg

GxVtJK.jpg

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    That is a cool smoker, I have seen one in the background on barbecue university before but never knew what it was.

Aaron Franklin uses the same one, I didn't know that until after the fact but it sure makes mods and cooks a lot easier watching him work his magic on the same smoker.

Unfortunately Academy Sports is the only place I know to get them, they are huge in Texas and just started in FL/GA, they do ship but it is a item you really need to see in person as you want to inspect welds and make sure doors align as quality is so-so. I looked at 3 and took the best of the bunch.

There are no decent offset smokers to be had in these parts so glad to have a decent one.

Will be doing a cherry Dr. Pepper injected pork butts next weekend

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    There are no decent offset smokers to be had in these parts so glad to have a decent one.

Well crap. I wish there was someone making decent offsets around here. Unfortunately it seems to be an all or nothing proposition, spend $5000 on a huge trailer smoker designed to cook for hundreds or buy junk from the big box stores.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    Aaron Franklin uses the same one, I didn't know that until after the fact but it sure makes mods and cooks a lot easier watching him work his magic on the same smoker.

Unfortunately Academy Sports is the only place I know to get them, they are huge in Texas and just started in FL/GA, they do ship but it is a item you really need to see in person as you want to inspect welds and make sure doors align as quality is so-so. I looked at 3 and took the best of the bunch.

Will be doing a cherry Dr. Pepper injected pork butts next weekend

There is an Academy Sports in Evansville, not sure if they carry that smoker though, haven't made it in the store yet.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    There is an Academy Sports in Evansville, not sure if they carry that smoker though, haven't made it in the store yet.

Perfect, I would bet they would carry that smoker as they ship them all the way to FL/GA.

First cook with meat today, little 5lbs butt and a couple wings.

Using B+B lump charcoal and pecan chunks.

Wings were beer soaked for a hour then rubbed.

Butt got a soaking of Dale's steak seasoning (Worcestershire sauce) coated in mustard, then rubbed heavily followed by pepper. Fat cap up and topped off with more rub on smoker. Running a water pan of apple juice/water.

Last edited:

cundiff5535

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Nwi
    Been trying to cook on a pretty tight budget lately... Had the idea of doing an Eye of Round over the last week or two. I figured for $12 bucks, what the hell! Had the wife grab one from the local grocery store and bagged it! Drained the juices, boiled them, strained through a coffee filter... then added a little ghee, salt and pepper.

SV-131/38 Naked.
    Once cooked Season with:
    Salt
    Pepper
    Garlic Powder
    Once seasoned, torch it, and baste with ghee and additional seasoning

My wife has been doing this "Whole 30" thing for the last month, so I have to keep it to stuff she can eat... No flours, sugars, etc... Its pretty cool to know I can still cook and make it work for her meal plan! I served a very tender, juicy, and extremely tasty piece of meat. Fantastic!!

Last edited:

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Did some souls-griddlin last night making stir fry. I make large amounts as I have a big family and like leftovers. I started out with chopped portobello caps I grabbed on markdown. I keep them separate as the wife no like.

8mGkRp.jpg

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom