• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cyprant

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    North Georgia
    Who is going, who is not? What are you hoping to see and do? Driving or flying? Ordering any Knives in hopes to take delivery at Blade?

I decided that I was going to go to my first Blade Show. I have a lot to learn about what to expect and how much $ I should plan to spend, so please help feel free to give advice.

I booked my room at the Renaissance Waverly (discounted from the Bladeshow.com website bit.ly/1LNx2uB) for Thursday, Friday, and Saturday night, and also booked a round trip from ORD to ATL and back kfor $109, seriously I didn't realize you could fly that cheap these days (Spirit). Book early is the lesson here..

Anyways, I'm excited and starting to save for this... Tips appreciated!

Last edited:

cyprant

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    North Georgia
    So if I'm flying home on Sunday after blade show, how can I get any Knives I aquire back home safely with out checking them? I don't trust airlines with anything checked... The post office will be closed on Sunday, as well as all common carriers... Does Bladeshow offer a shipping service?

EDIT: I have confirmed that the UPS store at the hotel will be open for at least 4 hours on the Sunday of the show... They do charge a surcharge for the convenience by weight. I asked a bout a 20lb package and they said it would be an additional $15 ontop of regular fees. Not too bad in my opinion to be able to ship on Sunday from the convenience of the hotel lobby...

Also, @vigilant says there's a Fed Ex/Kinko's near by that will be a bit cheaper. I assume they would just have normal business hours. (Closed Sunday)

Last edited:

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    1) You can never bring too much money.

2) I've always drove, it's not a bad drive, still 8-9 hours depending on traffic but it's an "enjoyable" drive if that makes any sense. That is if you leave at the right time and bypass rushour in Louisville, Nashville, Chattanooga, and Atlanta.

3) If you fly, you can either have a friend who drove bring your knives back for you (did that one year for a friend in Massachusetts, he flew, I drove, I brought his knives home and shipped them to him)

4) You can never bring too much money.

5) There is a UPS store at the Cobb Galleria so you can ship your knives to yourself

6) There are ATMs there in case you didn't bring enough money, they may have a limit on withdraw though, not sure

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I believe that the Blade Show is every bit as awesome as all describe.

Q: if someone can't walk or stand very much (and is too proud to be another fat guy riding a scooter), is it worth the trip and expense of attending?

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    ATM' s all set at $200 limits, so, next to worthless at Blade. There is a Chase bank at the top of the hill where you can get advances, it was busy as hell! Rhino, not such a good investment. It's nearly a quarter mile walk from the hotel lobby to the event doors alone! The UPS store is generall open for short hour on Sunday, but the hotel butt rapes you with surcharges to ship from there. There is a FedEx Kinkos down the road a little that is open on Sunday's without the hotel convenience fee.

cyprant

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    North Georgia
    The UPS store is generall open for short hour on Sunday, but the hotel butt rapes you with surcharges to ship from there. There is a FedEx Kinkos down the road a little that is open on Sunday's without the hotel convenience fee.

Sweet! I just confirmed with the UPS store at the hotel. I asked for an example surcharge, and The surcharge is $15 for a 20lb package... Seems reasonable to be to be able to ship on Sunday with out leaving the convention... Thanks for the info!

Last edited:

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    I have a UPS acct. an can ship your haul back for you. Cost of the label.

No table for me at this point. I had some space on another guys table who bailed on me last minute, so I just sold everything I had made for the show, online that weekend. I like to go to the demo's and classes. hang with friends and proxy for the lotto's.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan

No table for me at this point. I had some space on another guys table who bailed on me last minute, so I just sold everything I had made for the show, online that weekend. I like to go to the demo's and classes. hang with friends and proxy for the lotto's.

That peaks my interest more than walking around looking at knives I can't afford.

cyprant

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    North Georgia

That's super cool of you, I will likely take you up on that offer! Thank you!

The classes are what really pushed me over edge to go ahead and book the trip... Although, I am super excited to meet makers, handle Knives I could never afford to own, make friends and drink with the cool people of the knife community, see what's up for the next year, and of coruse excited for lotteries, and possibly placing an order for a grail...

I'm also a beginning knife maker and am considering bringing some of my work for some critiquing from fellow knife nuts... Unsure how this will go over with out paying for a table. Don't want to ruffle any feathers as I will not have any for sale, but figured it would be the best place on earth to get some honest opinions... Your thoughts?

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    That's super cool of you, I will likely take you up on that offer! Thank you!

The classes are what really pushed me over edge to go ahead and book the trip... Although, I am super excited to meet makers, handle Knives I could never afford to own, make friends and drink with the cool people of the knife community, see what's up for the next year, and of coruse excited for lotteries, and possibly placing an order for a grail...

I'm also a beginning knife maker and am considering bringing some of my work for some critiquing from fellow knife nuts... Unsure how this will go over with out paying for a table. Don't want to ruffle any feathers as I will not have any for sale, but figured it would be the best place on earth to get some honest opinions... Your thoughts?

IMO, I wouldn't take up a makers time at their table/booth while the show is going on. They are their to promote their own work and sell knives. You will have plenty of time and opportunities to get opinions if you hang out at the "Pit" during the after hours.

cyprant

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    North Georgia
    I should have clairified, I would be intending to do my show and tell at the Pit, not the show it self...

@Gabriel
    Is it considered brown bagging if I'm not selling anything?

The last thing I want is to do is make an ass hat out of myself...

Last edited:
    Top Bottom